PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

i own a share in a title deed i would like to sell

Options
hello,

I own a percentage of a property project, i.e. i own 13.5% of 10 apartments. problem is the apartments are not likely to sell individually immediately or at once. is there any possible way to sell my share of the title?

Comments

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Offer to sell your share to the other owners, either one of them may want a bigger single share or possibly all of them would like to slightly increase their share
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Do you own 13.5% of the freehold (or headlease) of a block of ten apartments?
    Or 13.5% of the lease of each of 10 apartments within the block?

Who owns the other 86.5% of whatever? Are they in a position to buy you out?
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    is there any possible way to sell my share of the title?

If you can find somebody who is willing to buy it, and your current co-owner(s) cooperate with the sale - then you can sell your share.

As others say, perhaps your best bet is to see if one of your co-owners is interested in buying.

problem is the apartments are not likely to sell individually immediately or at once.

It's difficult to judge your sentiment here.

Are you saying that the development project is in trouble? Perhaps behind schedule, over budget, feuds between co-owners?

If so, it may be very difficult to find anyone who wants to buy into 'a mess'.
  • kyle_williams
    Options
    hello eddy,

the development is completed and not in trouble i would just like to cash in without waiting for each property to sell individually. wandering if there are investors who could purchase my share and wait it out for their profit. is that clearer?
  • kyle_williams
    Options
    the other owners are in a position but they are family that I would not like to go into.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    So you own a share of the development finance?

It's not impossible that you can find somebody to take that on, but it's not something likely to be straightforward. How did you get in on this project finance? Private agreement with the developer?

<edit> Ah, that last bit crossed with your post 6. Family project...? That makes it even more complicated, if you don't wish to involve them.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    hello eddy,

the development is completed and not in trouble i would just like to cash in without waiting for each property to sell individually. wandering if there are investors who could purchase my share and wait it out for their profit. is that clearer?

Assuming there's no mortgages/charges etc on the title....

I guess it's possible that you might find somebody who's prepared to do this, if you search around. I've occasionally come across people who 'take a punt' on this kind of thing - when they come across somebody with dire financial problems.

But this is 'Dragon's Den' type stuff. If your share is likely to be worth £100k, they might offer you £30k to £50k for it.

(And you'd need your family's cooperation, and I'm guessing they wouldn't want that kind of person as a joint owner.)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    hello eddy,

It will depend how much you are prepared to discount the potential return and the reasons why those 10 apartments can't/won't sell now.

Think 50%-75% return on your share at guess of full value at some time in the future.

If there is debt(mortgages) involved then that will complicate much further

Biggest problem will be finding a buyer outside the current owner pool or those with some involvement that have some understanding of the potential and owner dynamic.
  • kyle_williams
    Options
    yes i own a share of the title and would like to move on away from the family, however I would not like to sell it to them but instead sell to an investor if you are aware of any sites or companies?
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    Options
    What a bizarre setup. Surely they should have formed a company, and you should have owned 13.5% of the company, rather than owning 13.5% of each individual property!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure