Does community speed watch scheme work

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Deastons wrote: »
    What does that photo have to do with anything?

This is the bus lane I'm on about:

2v1t6x2.png
    Riiight. Y'see the second bus lane sign, the one peeking out from behind the clearly visible one in this pic?

Yep, that's the one with the times on.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Riiight. Y'see the second bus lane sign, the one peeking out from behind the clearly visible one in this pic?

Yep, that's the one with the times on.

That's for the next bus lane - the one after the junction for Gate Street.

A bus lane sign with no controlled hours is operational 24hrs, so that sign denotes that that section of bus lane is active 24hrs.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Deastons wrote: »
    That's for the next bus lane - the one after the junction for Gate Street.

A bus lane sign with no controlled hours is operational 24hrs, so that sign denotes that that section of bus lane is active 24hrs.

So what confused you?
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's quite bizarre how someone driving on unfamiliar roads is supposed to be able to gather all this information from half hidden signs that are after the start of the bus lane, while dealing with London traffic. My default action on seeing a bus lane would be to follow the merge signs.

His point still stands - he was following reasonable road markings, wanting to change lanes and as the motorcyclist was held up he went demented. It is exactly the behaviour I get when cycling, where motorists get all over excited because their journey has been hindered - especially because often I can overtake them a hundred yards down the road - or more likely just sit glaring in their rear view mirror to make the point because who wants to get back in front of an unhinged motorist.
  • Deastons
    So what confused you?

Nothing confused me! I saw the sign and acted accordingly. The sign told me I was not allowed to enter the bus lane so I didn't. I indicated and waited to join the right-hand lane.

It was the motorcyclist who decided this was the worst thing that could possibly have happened in his life and thought the perfect way to show this was to swear at me and bang on my window.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This is the bus lane I'm on about:

Not all information has to come from a sign. That lane contains a bus, a cyclist and a black cab. And a parked van and motorbike. No private cars in it *suggests* that it's active, and you shouldn't enter until you know better.
    I was simply using all available road.

Yes, that's good, but you also need an exit strategy, you don't just drive to 'the end of the road' then look for a gap to get out.
    Nothing confused me! I saw the sign and acted accordingly. The sign told me I was not allowed to enter the bus lane so I didn't. I indicated and waited to join the right-hand lane.

It was the motorcyclist who decided this was the worst thing that could possibly have happened in his life and thought the perfect way to show this was to swear at me and bang on my window.

I agree, moderately, with the motorcyclist. Don't wait until you can read the times on the sign to decide whether to enter a bus lane or not. ASSUME you can't, and get out of there. You inconvenienced another road user due to your lack of planning, he may have over reacted, but you were at fault.
  • Deastons
    almillar wrote: »
    Not all information has to come from a sign.

But information from a sign should be obeyed, and that one told me I was not permitted to enter the bus lane. So I didn't.
    almillar wrote: »
    I agree, moderately, with the motorcyclist. Don't wait until you can read the times on the sign to decide whether to enter a bus lane or not. ASSUME you can't, and get out of there. You inconvenienced another road user due to your lack of planning, he may have over reacted, but you were at fault.

You're incorrect - I was not at fault at all.

Prior to the junction, a sign says lane 1 is going to become a bus lane, but it's only operation during certain hours, so my plan was to continue in lane 1/the bus lane.

However, immediately prior to the start of the bus lane was another sign stating the bus lane was, in fact, 24hrs. So I had to alter my plan due to the confusing signage.

One should always drive in a manner where you are fully prepared for other road users to do the unexpected. Especially so in London where the lanes and signage can be very confusing.

I suspect the motorcyclist was so angry because he came very close to crashing into the back of my car. Rather than being angry at himself for not driving defensively and not keeping a safe distance from the car in front, it was easier to be angry at me.
  • Deastons
    edited 7 March 2018 at 6:50PM
    And it's nice to see Warwick Hunt's attempt at a personal attack has been deleted by the mods. There's far too much bullying on these forums - more so that any other I use - so good to see the mods are taking some action.
  • tho_2
    tho_2 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Bullying? Bit like when you automatically assumed (and accused) that someone with interest in a community speed watch scheme was just wanting to get home quicker.
  • Deastons
    tho wrote: »
    Bullying? Bit like when you automatically assumed (and accused) that someone with interest in a community speed watch scheme was just wanting to get home quicker.

In the same sentence I also accused them of wanting to start their own community speed watch. That wasn't bullying, that was just trying to clarify what they meant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure