PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    brain not working today - can't for the life of me work out what LTS stands for
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • maryb
    Did some effective kondoing today which brought much joy. Last of the early rhubarb, not enough by itself for a crumble but had the thought of combining it with half a punnet of strawberries left over from yesterday, again not enough to do anything useful with. Also used the zest and juice from a slightly tired orange.

OMG it was the nicest crumble EVER!! Plus I made some icecream to use up some cream nearing its useby and added the dregs of some Lidl ersatz Grand Marnier which echoed the taste of the orange and now we are sitting around sighing happily
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    maryb wrote: »
    brain not working today - can't for the life of me work out what LTS stands for

Long Tall Sally!
    Must use my stash up!
  • maryb
    Of course!! Thank you
  • enchilada
    enchilada Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 May 2017 at 8:46PM
    Joining in after a long absence!

Last year I followed the Kondo method and decided to get rid of just over half my clothes. I haven't regretted this decision at all- it made my wardrobe so much easier to use and, for a while, at least, I felt like I was wearing a greater variety of outfits.

The problem was that I never actually got rid of them. They sat in the attic until we finally got round to doing a boot sale, whereupon they sat in the car because we didn't bring any rails to put them out, and they've sat collecting dust bunnies under the bed ever since waiting for another boot sale.

Well, I decided this afternoon that the boot sale is never going to happen and pulled them all out again. The dust played absolute havoc with my nose, I sneezed so much! And to think we've been sleeping on all of that. I sorted a few things for eBay, some for a rough sleeper I see each morning on my way to work and another bag for things I think a friend may like and then piled all the bags in the car for the chazzer (although that will have to wait until next weekend now). (Edit: and another bag for fabric recycling, stuff I thought no one would want)

I should feel good about it but actually I'm feeling a bit disheartened. That they've been there so long makes me feel really lazy, and I feel bad for having spent so much money on all of it. Plus it just reminds me of how much else I still have and that still needs doing.

I've decided to reward myself with a glass of port anyway! And thought you lovely people could provide some much needed inspiration.
    "I don’t keep up with the Joneses, I try to drag them down to my level" - Quentin Crisp
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    (((enchilada))) I'm sure most of us could tell a similar tale (or three dozen).

If it helps, most of the monetary value disappeared the moment you carried those clothes out of the shop. Seriously.

Unless you're in childrens' sizing, 20% was the VAT gouge, and the grubbyment got it. Then the mere fact that the clothes are now secondhand depreciated the other 80% to almost nothing. Worth pennies on the pound if re-sold. If you can find a buyer.

So, bearing in mind that the monetary value is almost nil, and has been almost nil since you bought them, what you have is a load of unrecoverable sunk costs. Plus the utility of said garments.

And you can only use the utility by using them yourself, or realise the utility by allowing someone else to use them, by releasing them from dusty captivity in your home.

Clothes like this are teachers; they teach us that we don't want those particular styles or colours again. Or, like some of my larger clothes, that I shouldn't have eaten soooo many pies. ;):p:o
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    (((enchilada))) I'm sure most of us could tell a similar tale (or three dozen).

If it helps, most of the monetary value disappeared the moment you carried those clothes out of the shop. Seriously.

Unless you're in childrens' sizing, 20% was the VAT gouge, and the grubbyment got it. Then the mere fact that the clothes are now secondhand depreciated the other 80% to almost nothing. Worth pennies on the pound if re-sold. If you can find a buyer.
    yes
    So, bearing in mind that the monetary value is almost nil, and has been almost nil since you bought them, what you have is a load of unrecoverable sunk costs. Plus the utility of said garments.
    yes

And you can only use the utility by using them yourself, or realise the utility by allowing someone else to use them, by releasing them from dusty captivity in your home.
    yes

Clothes like this are teachers; they teach us that we don't want those particular styles or colours again. Or, like some of my larger clothes, that I shouldn't have eaten soooo many pies. ;):p:o
    er, yes, me too! (Not pies though, crisps .
    JUST SAY NO ! :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :D Oxfam Swansea's desperate plea; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/15/stop-giving-us-copies-da-vinci-code-say

I've noticed that every single chazzer's DVD rack seems to contain several copies of certain movies, too. '300' is one of them, as well as the multi-part Bourne movies, The Matrix franchise and the Lord of the Rings movies.

Perhaps, by the time we're ready to part with something, everyone else is parting with it, and the eventual disposal will be a problem.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    I've noticed that every single chazzer's DVD rack seems to contain several copies of certain movies, too. '300' is one of them, as well as the multi-part Bourne movies, The Matrix franchise and the Lord of the Rings movies.

I suppose DaVinci Code was one of the last phenomenally popular book in paper form, closely followed by the Twilight saga. I don't see that many copies of "50 Shades..." maybe because it was supposed to be phenomenally popular on Kindle.

Am working on condensing books, CD's and DVD's at the moment; a donate pile is building up in the kitchen and a "sell" pile to the left of me. Plan is to confine them to a certain space and then, if they stop fitting in that space, then they need culling.

Have found I have a lot less patience with stuff I'm not enjoying: for example, one book I bought from the chazzer on Saturday is going back there today. 20 pages in and I was underwhelmed... :D
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    short_bird wrote: »
    Have found I have a lot less patience with stuff I'm not enjoying: for example, one book I bought from the chazzer on Saturday is going back there today. 20 pages in and I was underwhelmed... :D

My view is that there are 000s of books out there which I haven't read and which I may enjoy - so why waste time making myself slog through something which isn't working for me when the next book which I try may be a real page-turner :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport