PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks Doom & Gloom.

Fortunately - I've not got that much of a sweet tooth - so the number of times I think "I could just fancy something sweet" aren't that high.:). I'd hazard a guess at maybe twice a month on average where I think "I want something sweet" and buy myself a small portion of healthier type chocolate or make myself something like a couple of medjool dates stuffed with tahini or nut butter.

Wine is my downfall I do know - though I'm getting better than I was. One bottle of wine in total last week and think it's likely to be the same this week.

I guess the majority of what surplus calories I am having would boil down to fat. I do have a tendency to grab a chunk of cheese if I want a "little something". So going more vegan would mean that was cut out.

I've got plenty of cashew nuts in - so I think my next experiment might be making some cashew "cheese" from them and I'm guessing that would be a rather better idea.

Slowly slowly catchee monkee I guess...

Must have a go at using alternative "mylks" in my coffee next too - rather than dairy milk. They seem to be around two-thirds of the calories of dairy milk. I gather oat milk seems to be the least likely to curdle in a cup of coffee?
    Ahh dates and nut butter, I have two dates left and that is perfect. A downfall for me thought. I buy the meridian 1kg peanut butter/cashew butter. Once open I have to decant into smaller jar otherwise I over eat it :o.

Wine, another possible vegan purchase! OH got me drinking wine a while ago. A lovely chocolate red wine. I've drunk a bottle before in one night :eek:. Thankfully I don't drink often; once or twice a week a most. My favourite drink right now is a vegan white Russian using vegan milk, not vegan cream.

Trying cashew cheese might be an idea.

I drink my coffee black, no sugar. It may work out it may not. There's trial and error needed unfortunately.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,
    Have enjoyed my food choices so far today and don't feel as "stodged" up as I did after lasagne fest. Have hit 4.5/10 F&V wise as well without trying so all good:)
    I've spent a mix of frustrating/satisfying afternoon rearranging part of my kitchen so it's better for my needs.:) Frustrating because it has taken all afternoon as I keep needing to sit down but satisfying as it will make life a wee bit easier. I treated myself to a cheapie CD/radio player as the one I had was kaput so I'm tring to work out where in the kitchen gets the best FM signal :D I don't think I'll be dancing around to tunes but with the spring coming I want to sit in the consevatory bit in a bright and orderly space ;)
  • caronc
    Options
    If I took everything out of every cupboard, wiped it down with a damp cloth, jiggled everything round and put it all away again .... slowly .... I could kill an hour at most

:)
    A year ago I'd have been the same so an hour would be ambitious it is a huge space-that's why I'm frustrated and I was only sorting out some of the surfaces :mad: Still I'll do what I can each day until it is how I want it:D
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whilst I hate to repeat myself (after posting in the 'What's for dinner' thread...I've just CFO :D

Aubergine, broccoli, carrot, green pepper, mushrooms, onion, garlic and chilli in a spicy HM tomato sauce...to be served with flatbreads :D

That's gotta be 7/10 added to my melon makes it 8/10....I mustn't gloat :p:p

Well I had to make up for yesterdays blow out somehow :o
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    Whilst I hate to repeat myself (after posting in the 'What's for dinner' thread...I've just CFO :D

Aubergine, broccoli, carrot, green pepper, mushrooms, onion, garlic and chilli in a spicy HM tomato sauce...to be served with flatbreads :D

That's gotta be 7/10 added to my melon makes it 8/10....I mustn't gloat :p:p

Well I had to make up for yesterdays blow out somehow :o

That's sounds lovely :D
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Had fruit - red grapes, pear, mango and banana (4).
    Now having that vegan 'tuna' mix - chickpeas, vegan mayo, onion, peas, sweetcorn, tomato, cucumber, carrot, a little black pepper, with sweet potato and a portion of spinach (9).
    Enjoying with tea.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Me - I think I'm heading round Doom & Gloom's for dinner. Well - I would - except I don't have much of an appetite (as lunch was so late today).

Very much CBA - I've had a chunk of cheese (whoops), two slices of wholemeal toast and am about to head for a glass of milk. Well - it will be "enough" and doesnt cover the Vit. C base - but it covers most...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ...two slices of wholemeal toast...

One technique I sometimes use to rein myself in is to not serve myself what I'd consider a "full portion", but to leave it. e.g. I'd have one slice of toast. I'd tell myself "the other one is still there.... have one now and if you're still hungry later you can have it then" - and I'd not always have it.

In shops when I spot lovely goodies I look at them and think to myself "when you're not such a biffer this product will still be here. It's always here. You can buy it whenever you want. If you don't buy it, it won't disappear. This is not a 'now or never' opportunity." and that would enable me to simply enjoy its existence.... and walk on.

It always works when I use it .... I don't always tell myself that though, sometimes I just SLIIIIIDE those goodies into my basket with a "Hey ho" attitude and a smug grin on my slobbering chops.

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tea was healthy as it's got the word "orange" in it :) - AND "fruit"!

Two small fruit scones and 2 teaspoons of orange marmalade.

The 6 or so sultanas in that really make the difference don't they!
  • caronc
    Options
    Tea was healthy as it's got the word "orange" in it :) - AND "fruit"!

Two small fruit scones and 2 teaspoons of orange marmalade.

The 6 or so sultanas in that really make the difference don't they!

As the advert says "Every little helps".........:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport