Haggle with BT - our new guide

Comments

• Mwood1
    Mwood1 Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What is the best(lowest price) negotiated for line rental and broadband monthly.

And BT sport HD

Thank you in advance.
  • Mwood1 wrote: »
    What is the best(lowest price) negotiated for line rental and broadband monthly.

And BT sport HD

Thank you in advance.

I have basic BT broadband (12GB) and free weekend calls for £5 per month, which is going up to £7 per month in April.

Line rental is just whatever is standard £18.99 I think?

I have BT Sport (not HD) for £5 per month.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
  • I've just tried unsuccessfully to haggle with BT because of the latest phone & broadband increases.
    I've switched to Plusnet for £38 per month for fibre 2 unlimited & anytime calls compared to the 'reduced' current price of about £45 per month that I have been paying BT for the past year. Last year they reduced my broadband by £17.50 per month for a year to match the then Plusnet price. They weren't prepared to do the same this time.

They did offer a loyalty reduction on broadband only of £39.49 / month this time, but this would basically be the same as the whole monthly cost of Plusnet (who also include 2000 mobile minutes which you don't get with BT anytime package).

I was not dissatisfied with BT but am thoroughly fatigued with the constant hard sell by post and email of content services I do not want. I explained I am on a fixed pension which does not keep pace with the continual BT price increases.

I think BT are guilty of sharp practice by immediately sending out emails threatening there is a charge to leave them when you initiate a switch. In my case it would have been £42 for the remaining month left on my contract.
    I rang the retentions number on 0800 345 7311 explained my OFCOM consumer protection rights (thanks MSE!) having given them notice within 30 days of notification of the price rise. The BT rep said they would ensure I was not charged this 'penalty' for ending my contract early., and they would note this on my account.

BT should cease and desist sending these emails until after the 30 days protection period have ended.
    My experience is that BT are hardening their stance, in relation to haggling. Would be interested to hear if others get anything close to other providers price match.
  • OldDIYer
    OldDIYer Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Can't get a reasonable offer from BT, so leaving before contract ends with no penalty using the price increase get out clause.

Will be paying £25/mth to Plusnet for fibre broadband & line rental, which is less than I was paying to BT pre price increase!

£70 back through TopCashBack
  • Mwood1
    Mwood1 Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 February 2017 at 8:14PM
    I have basic BT broadband (12GB) and free weekend calls for £5 per month, which is going up to £7 per month in April.

Line rental is just whatever is standard £18.99 I think?

I have BT Sport (not HD) for £5 per month.

I'm a new customer - my basic broadband deal below,

Line rental £205 - £50 prepaid BT credit card = £12.92 per month

+ £5 per month broadband unlimited = £17.92 per month

+ BT sport HD pack at £3.75 per month.
  • OldDIYer
    edited 27 February 2017 at 6:07PM
    QUOTE: I think BT are guilty of sharp practice by immediately sending out emails threatening there is a charge to leave them when you initiate a switch. In my case it would have been £42 for the remaining month left on my contract.
    I rang the retentions number on 0800 345 7311 explained my OFCOM consumer protection rights (thanks MSE!) having given them notice within 30 days of notification of the price rise. The BT rep said they would ensure I was not charged this 'penalty' for ending my contract early., and they would note this on my account.

I'm struggling to find the T&Cs to quote to BT so that I can get my line rental in advance back. Can anyone help please?
  • wlam
    wlam Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OldDIYer wrote: »
    I'm struggling to find the T&Cs to quote to BT so that I can get my line rental in advance back. Can anyone help please?

I believe the BT T&Cs say advance line rental is non-refundable.

However you need to inform BT that OFCOM state if providers impose mid-contract price rises, you can leave the provider free from penalty.

Thus you need to argue that if they (BT) do not refund the advance line rental (likely pro-rata), then this cannot be considered leaving free from penalty and thus in breach of OFCOM guidance.
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 378 Forumite
    QUOTE:

I don't know I'm afraid but if its any help this article suggests they should be refunding. Lots more in the bt threads in the broadband forum message board as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/22/bt-refuses-refund-prepaid-line-rental-cancel-service
  • OldDIYer
    mnbvcxz wrote: »
    I don't know I'm afraid but if its any help this article suggests they should be refunding. Lots more in the bt threads in the broadband forum message board as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/22/bt-refuses-refund-prepaid-line-rental-cancel-service

Thanks. As others have experienced, I got the email saying I would lose the line rental paid in advance & also, in my case, the discount on BT Sport which would continue at the inflated non-BT customer rate. I rang and they agreed that the overpaid line rental would be refunded and that I had given notice on BT Sport, so it would not continue.

They had no explanation, apart from blaming their computer system, as to why they send misleading emails. I think this is disgraceful, especially as 'BT has confirmed it accepts this and will be contacting customers and briefing its advisers. To be clear, if you leave a phone company mid-contract due to a significant price rise within 30 days, you should not incur penalty charges – including pre-bought line rental.' Quote from Guardian article - link above.:mad:
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary

Have a look at post 180 at the bottom of https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-price-changes-April-and-August/td-p/1709458/page/18 - it's from a BT forum moderator (member of staff) and confirms that if leaving due to the price rise any remaining months of advance line rental will be refunded
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback