When are you a grown up?

Options

Comments

• Top_Girl
    Top_Girl Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am and I'm not. I'm 35.

I parent (well), pay my bills, work, diet and clean.

I also !!!! (spotted **** if the filters block that) about an awful lot, skid down supermarket aisles on trolleys, jump in puddles, rejoice when it snows, sing and dance around on a regular basis, watch football and wrestling as religiously as I did as a bairn and try and have fun every day.

I hope I never grow out of the last lot. Life is too short for living on celery and spreadsheets.
  • Lunar_Eclipse
    Options
    I definitely feel like a grown up and think it happened when I moved in with DH after uni, worked long hours and spent time on dull domestic duties. So early 20's, after education, leaving the family home and becoming financially independent.

I would love to not feel like a grown up!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm an adult with a little child inside wanting to get out.:(
  • beakysian
    beakysian Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    The phrase 'in my day' is uttered on an hourly basis...
    Sam_Fallow wrote: »
    Also accompanied by 'I can't believe that was XX years ago!'

Or when you get a funny look for saying 'Of course, before the internet...'

I'm only 31 and I've caught myself saying "you're too young to remember this, but..." :(
    I realized I was a grown up when I opened my back door on a lovely warm, sunny, breezy morning and my first thought was 'ooh what a great drying day!'.

I think I cried.

I think I did too.

I reckon it's when you realise your body can't keep up with what you think it should still be able to do.

I propose we all agree not to grow up and join SailorSam at the circus. I'll be the elephant :rotfl:
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well, two days ago, the pilot of the plane I was on asked if anyone wanted to see the cockpit and sit in the pilot's seat, with the captain's hat on.

Guess who shot up there?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• loveabargain13
    Options
    I don't feel like a real adult, at 33! Too many holidays, too much fun, too happy. Just ended what could of been an amazing relationship as I don't feel I'm ready to just settle down, now I'm not sure I ever will. hehe but who cares as long as we are happy, healthy, alive & kicking especially in fashionable clothes!! :)
  • GenericUsername
    Options
    When I was a kid I thought 40 was really old and that there would come a day when you would suddenly revert to being a grown-up. Get a job, cut your hair and get respectable-like.

Now I'm 38 and I realise that I'm still a kid in the body of an adult, which is great because I can do all the adult things like drive, drink, stay up late, travel where I want, and anything else that takes my fancy. Still wear jeans, trainers and fitted t-shirts on a daily basis.

My favourite thing is when my 20 year old son looks at me like I could never understand technology, or meme's, or the internet (bearing in mind I have my own online business), and thinks that his Mum & I are just old people.

It makes me smile because I feel just as young as he is except I have means, and interesting stories. And a more childish sense of humour. When he rolls his eyes at my jokes, sometimes I wonder who the adult really is.

Yep, never thought of older people as 'young' when I was a kid, but now I realise age really is a state of mind.
  • Bufger
    Bufger Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    at the age of 27
    MFW - <£90k
    All other debts cleared thanks to the knowledge gained from this wonderful website and its users!
  • Sam_Fallow
    Sam_Fallow Posts: 923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you are in a position to pass something on to the younger generation and know they will benefit from your experience, then you are a grown up.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Well, two days ago, the pilot of the plane I was on asked if anyone wanted to see the cockpit and sit in the pilot's seat, with the captain's hat on.

Guess who shot up there?

I still find it quite thrilling when I get on the bus and the front seat on the top deck is free. It is like being on a rollercoaster when the bus goes through the hilly areas!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure