Sainsbury's to launch Nectar 'double-up' promo – here's what you need to know - MSE News story

Comments

• Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    This new system is just stupid
    As the double points is only on selected items i need to know what im buying first
    And then im banking on it being in stock. Previous years wanted to buy fitbit & tele but were out of stock.
    Its far better for all concerned to pick something up in store then double up in store
    In fact id say this new system is age discrimination as my parents wouldnt be able to benefit without a load of palava (and then youre relying on the royal mail to deliver on time)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Zero_Sum wrote: »
    This new system is just stupid
    As the double points is only on selected items i need to know what im buying first
    And then im banking on it being in stock. Previous years wanted to buy fitbit & tele but were out of stock.
    Its far better for all concerned to pick something up in store then double up in store
    In fact id say this new system is age discrimination as my parents wouldnt be able to benefit without a load of palava (and then youre relying on the royal mail to deliver on time)

I've had fun and games contacting Nectar today. :D

I started with Live Chat but they couldn't help and asked me to phone Sainsburys. I did that and got put through to Nectar so not sure what the difference is although it's harder for them to evade questions on the phone than in Live Chat. Even then the guy I spoke to was constantly putting me on hold while he went to ask someone else.

I wanted to know what if I get a voucher to buy something specific but there's none in stock. First he told me that Sainsburys was gearing up for this and they would have stock in all the categories. I asked what happens to the voucher if I can't get what I want. He told me to phone from the store and when they verified the item wasn't available, the points would go back on my card.

I'm still uneasy but that's what they said. I wish I could have had that on Live Chat so I had a screen shot to prove it.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    I've had fun and games contacting Nectar today. :D

I started with Live Chat but they couldn't help and asked me to phone Sainsburys. I did that and got put through to Nectar so not sure what the difference is although it's harder for them to evade questions on the phone than in Live Chat. Even then the guy I spoke to was constantly putting me on hold while he went to ask someone else.

I wanted to know what if I get a voucher to buy something specific but there's none in stock. First he told me that Sainsburys was gearing up for this and they would have stock in all the categories. I asked what happens to the voucher if I can't get what I want. He told me to phone from the store and when they verified the item wasn't available, the points would go back on my card.

I'm still uneasy but that's what they said. I wish I could have had that on Live Chat so I had a screen shot to prove it.

That just seems a lot more hassle than customer services printing out voucher in store. The other thing is as theyre only doing this online & posting out, then surely its going to cost them a fair whack in postage costs.
  • maman
    Zero_Sum wrote: »
    That just seems a lot more hassle than customer services printing out voucher in store. The other thing is as theyre only doing this online & posting out, then surely its going to cost them a fair whack in postage costs.

It does seem crazy to [STRIKE]encourage [/STRIKE] force people to go online then use snail mail to send the vouchers out! My Sainsburys has drastically cut it's customer services, shrunk the desk so it's just a keyboard on the end of the cigarette kiosk and often sharing staff with that and the lottery.

You can do the voucher electronically with the app.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    MSE states you have to use your voucher in one go but if you have more than one voucher you can use over a number of shops.

EH??

How can you have more than one voucher when you are only allowed to double up once?

Am I missing something here?
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    Well done Sainsburys

Another alienated customer here.

I have done the double up every time but giving this one a miss.It is just more trouble than it is worth.

I really cannot be bothered as I can see myself walking round the store trying to finding something to spend my voucher on rather than buying something I really want.

Most of it will be half price in the sales anyway.
  • maman
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »

Most of it will be half price in the sales anyway.

I think that's true of all the seasonal [STRIKE]tat[/STRIKE] goods but I was going to buy my favourite TTD fizz.

I think I'll have a word with the guy on the wine aisle in advance and if they end up not having what I want in stock I'll try and hold Nectar to account in refunding the voucher if stock is unavailable.

Like you. I'm certainly not going to wander around Sainsbury's looking to spend my voucher on things I don't need or want.
  • jasdev
    jasdev Posts: 112 Forumite
    I was sorely hoping the "double up" promotion would extend to ordinary groceries too - sad to see that I can only use the vouchers on things I neither want nor need.
    Am I correct to think that I may as well just go ahead and spend my Nectar points balance on my weekly grocery shopping anyway?
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team

• Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Has anyone seen the vouchers!!!

OK so I am thinking the worst after ordering the vouchers online and getting acknowledgement plus email on 6th Nov saying voucher on the way - I just think that the promised 13th Nov will come and go and I will still be waiting.....

So anyone had them yet!!!!!
  • maman
    jasdev wrote: »
    I was sorely hoping the "double up" promotion would extend to ordinary groceries too - sad to see that I can only use the vouchers on things I neither want nor need.
    Am I correct to think that I may as well just go ahead and spend my Nectar points balance on my weekly grocery shopping anyway?

I agree it would be brilliant if we could buy ordinary groceries or even some Christmas stuff like turkey or gammon. That's thinking of customers though, not what Sainsburys do.

I'm going to buy wine with mine, assuming it works on the app. and they have what I want in stock. Big IF.

I think it's mad that you have to apply online for a voucher by snail mail vegastare . :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure