“Debt is normal. Be weird.”

Comments

• Ok, so “tomorrow” actually turned out to be three days later, but who’s counting?! Every time I sat down to type an update, I was overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of cr*p that has happened during these past months and struggled to get the right words out. Going to give it another go. So, in short...

• My lovely car that I bought last year with a loan was horrifically battered whilst she sat quietly in the car park at work. Offending driver did leave their details (thank heavens!), but it didn’t stop the car being a write off and his insurance company only offering half of what I paid for it. Took two months, an independent valuation arranged by my company and a lot of stress to finally get a fair payout.
    • DH has had to stop working as we no longer have the childcare to facilitate this. Because our shifts conflicted one weekend a month, we relied on my mum to look after DD3 and DS, whilst DD1 and DD2 stayed with the MIL. Unfortunately, my mum has been unwell and is now awaiting surgery, so babysitting is out of the question. We don’t have anyone else that is comfortable looking after such young children, especially for an entire weekend and often nights included. With DH not working PT, we’ve lost out on £600+ a month, plus all the tips he would generate for our (somewhat neglected) sealed pot :(. Although we can still live fairly comfortably just on my income, it does mean plans to overpay on loans have been put on hold for the time being.
    • My work has been extremely busy recently and bosses have been piling on the pressure. Having coped with this pretty well, it was then disappointing to find out that the higher position I had been expected to take on in the next few months (with the bonus of a significant pay rise) has essentially been postponed for a year.

Right, well those are the key points relevant to our financial situation so I think I’ll leave it there rather than bore you all with all the personal and family problems as well!

Hopefully, I’ve managed to realistically adjust goals to fit in with our new situation and I’ll update on those tomorrow. As it is, DD3 has chickenpox and isn’t sleeping well so I’m off to sing some lullabies. Night everyone! :D
    Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship.
    Debt at highest = £62,842.59 (Dec 2018) - now £44,611.39 (Oct 2021)
    Emergency fund £268.63 / £1000
    NSD October Challenge 8/12
    NSD target Sept-Dec 2021 17/50
  • Bless, that sounds like a very tricky few months. Life sucks sometimes! Hopefully, you'll catch a break soon.
    Poxclin (not sure if that's how you spell it) is amazing... all 5 of mine have had chicken pox, horrible disease and I sadly only discovered this remedy for my youngest 2.
    Debt - Car loan £19k. New savings goals: Emergency fund £1000/£1000, FFEF £200/£10000
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Bl00dy hell girl... it certainly sounds as though you have been/are in the wars :eek:

Hope DD3 starts to feel better sooner rather than later, and that it doesn't spread to the others, (although at least that would get it over with in one go!)

Hopefully all your 'bad luck' has been dispatched and you can now start to see some 'good luck' come your way. ((hugs))
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Oh, and forget to mention that DH’s car ended up needing a lot of work last month which used up most of the emergency fund :(. At least we didn’t need to use any further credit to cover the bill. Just got to start building the fund back up with surveys and cashback now!

Thanks for the advice re: chickenpox :D. DD3 is actually the first to get it, so secretly hoping DD1 and DD2 get it also, even if it does mean we’re in for a rough week!
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,355 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Sorry you've had such a tough few months. You have made fab progress since Dec 18 - still worth celebrating even if you have to take a more scenic route for a while. Hope all your family members recover quickly and the car situation settles down.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • oh the dreaded chickenpox, hope its not too rough a week for you, hope they are all ok :)
    What’s meant for you will not pass you 😃
    A fool and his money are soon parted!
    use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without :)
    EF -£860 Total debt - £2070 (DF March 2020)
    Clubcard-£10.50, coop card £15.63 Surveys cash- 8.94
  • Today feels a lot like day one on my journey back to financial stability and sanity. I’m disappointed in myself that I neglected this diary during the tougher months, because that’s when I really need it to keep me on track! Never fully neglected the MSE way though, so going to give myself a bit of credit for that :).

As it’s Monday, it’s a fresh start for the weekly budget. Over the past few weeks, we’ve adjusted our budget so that we take out £120 cash to cover groceries and fuel for the week (i.e. “absolute essentials budget”), with any left over at the end of the week being either put towards debt or added to the sealed pot. Rather than have a budget for other purchases, DH and I discuss everything that we consider we need and only buy it if we both agree that it’s an acceptable spend. Lately this has resulted in very little spending, mostly on things for the kids (DD1 is tall for 9 years old and her height seems to be increasing exponentially :eek:, so money mostly used to replace outgrown clothes). Even then, we prefer to pick up items from charity shops, so the cost is minimal. One fantastic shop near us sells every item of children’s clothing (including shoes) for 50p, meaning almost an entirely new wardrobe with change from a tenner!

Last week left us with £11.24 from the budget. £1.24 has been added to the sealed pot, with £10 used to pay towards Very. Outstanding balance on there is still £648 and £439 of that needs to be paid by the end of February to avoid interest. As I’ve been paid today, I’m going to immediately pay off another £100 and then see how accounts are looking in a couple of weeks to determine whether I can pay the remaining balance without dipping into February’s pay. Can’t think of any other big purchases that we’re going to need this month, but I’d rather wait and see.

Other MSE things done today: -
    • Installed Shoppix app and uploaded recent receipts.
    • Checked on Swagbucks account and nearly able to redeem £10 to add to the emergency fund. Will look for a suitable survey or two tonight to get to the target.
    • Weekly shop at Ald! - total spend £51.70. Had well-stocked cupboards so this was predominantly fresh items. Being on a diet also helps keep the spend down!
    • Going to get DH to chop up some wood tonight to last the week. Have been too reliant on radiators recently and I’m scared to check the electric meter!
    • Leftovers for dinner this evening - cheesy leek and Quorn pie that I made yesterday (kids’ favourite :)).

Feels so good to be back and seeing my accomplishments (however small) written down. This is just the motivation I’ve been missing! :D
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Great that you're back on board properly... I agree that it's when things are difficult that people need to write in their diaries, as a little encouragement goes a long way, and can be just the boost that's needed. XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,355 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The 50p an item shop sounds great. Also sometimes it can be worth asking friends with older kids what they do with the outgrown items. My MIL used to collect loads from others for our kids. She lived in a good area so we often got designer clothes as well as ordinary ones....
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Right, have been busy over the past few days getting back into the MSE mindset. DH and I had a long discussion about how to manage things now that we no longer have his income, and both decided we still want to pay off debts ASAP and are prepared to make sacrifices in the short-term to make it happen. With that in mind, we’ve taken the following steps:-

• Cancelled Sky TV, saving us £27 a month (even more from next month as the price was due to go up).
    • Downgraded our Netflix account from £11.99 to £8.99 a month. Plan is just to use this and catch-up via apps, as we never tend to watch live TV anyway. Feels like a big change but also as though a big weight has lifted! Hoping this also motivates us to spend our evenings focusing on other projects that need doing around the house.
    • Reduced overdrafts on my account and our joint account. Previously at £2000 and £1200 respectively, but we’re not using them and (given the recent changes re: interest) don’t want the temptation so have halved them both. Will probably look to reduce them further in the future.
    • Similarly, have made reductions to credit card limits, though leaving enough for emergencies whilst we rebuild the emergency fund.
    • Been digging out more things to sell. DH sold his old bike for £100 so made a positive start!
    • DH looking into changing to a cheaper SIM only contract from next month. Could probably save about £10 a month.

Also working hard on surveys etc. to add some extra £s to the emergency fund. Cashed out £10 this week and hopefully more to come :).

Hoping for a quiet weekend with the kids, making the most of the local park and woodland walks if the weather permits. DD3 has also started ballet classes on Saturday mornings - I know this is an extra expense, but she loves it and I would rather eat beans on toast every day for the rest of my life than take that away from her! We do get a bit of a discount as DD2 does dance classes through the same group so it could be worse.

Off to make a quick cuppa before DH gets back from the school run. Making the most of the peace and quiet whilst I can! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills