Money Left After bills - *New thread*

13»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    FBaby wrote: »
    I've always been quite fascinated by people's spending habits and what they consider 'normal'. The disparity between what seems similar household is quite surprising!

Whatever disposable income one is left with, I find it shocking that anyone would spend £750 a month doing the weekly shop for only 4 people, one of which being a toddler.

However, that explains why when I queue at the checkout, I see trolleys with tons of alcohol, expensive meals, and indeed, 5 or more items of clothing.

Nothing wrong with this if you can afford it, but ultimately, it is a choice and you can't expect much sympathy that you might not be able to save much at the end of the month.

My parents used to spend an equivalent amount on the weekly shop. My mum was a spender and fell for every temptation. It used to drive my dad mad. Even now they are retired, he is horrified on how much is spent each week, but bad habits are hard to break.

I would feel massively guilty if I spent that amount, and yet there are definitely improvements that I could make to my current spending. It really comes down to how much you want to reduce your weekly shop for more disposable income compared to the freedom and excitement of buying what one wants.
    I'd add "for the future".

It's all very well living for the present but some people come down to earth with a bang when that high salary is no longer there - either because of redundancy or retirement.

OH & I both had good, well-paid jobs.
    Whilst our contemporaries were driving round in Audis and BMWs, we had a less expensive (but still nice) car.
    etc.

Whilst our contemporaries were holidaying in 5* All Inclusive spa hotels (which we would have hated) we were exploring the Greek Islands, Turkey etc and hitting 'new' destinations. We were amongst the first to go to Goa on a package holiday back in 1994, Mexico in 1991, Sri Lanka in 1996, Cuba in 1997. Everybody thought we were paying a fortune for our holidays but we weren't.

Whilst our contemporaries were running up huge credit card bills, we were living well within our means.

We planned for our future.

I've been (early) retired for 15 years, OH for 12.
    We have 3 or 4 holidays per year and have no money worries.

I suspect this is what the OP's family could do if they sorted their finances out.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    The OP was worried they may be tight on cash, clear they are not ifthey budget wisely but that has clearly not been happening(debts and sub prime sugest a history of over spending)

Without more details in some standard format like the SOA that categorises into fairly recognised group it is hard to see where they are going wrong.
    They will also have the same problem no idea where the money is going.

Take essential bills(after mortgage/rent) people include differnt things

council tax.
    gas.
    electric.
    water.
    many then add
    TV licence
    phone
    internet
    then some add
    TV package
    Mobile phones
    cleaner
    kids clubs
    school dinners.

how you do it is not an issue as long as it is clear when you ask someone is £1,500-£1,900 a month enough you know what has already been covered.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I'd add "for the future".

It's all very well living for the present but some people come down to earth with a bang when that high salary is no longer there - either because of redundancy or retirement.

OH & I both had good, well-paid jobs.
    Whilst our contemporaries were driving round in Audis and BMWs, we had a less expensive (but still nice) car.
    etc.

Whilst our contemporaries were holidaying in 5* All Inclusive spa hotels (which we would have hated) we were exploring the Greek Islands, Turkey etc and hitting 'new' destinations. We were amongst the first to go to Goa on a package holiday back in 1994, Mexico in 1991, Sri Lanka in 1996, Cuba in 1997. Everybody thought we were paying a fortune for our holidays but we weren't.

Whilst our contemporaries were running up huge credit card bills, we were living well within our means.

I've been (early) retired for 15 years, OH for 12.
    We have 3 or 4 holidays per year and have no money worries.

I suspect this is what the OP's family could do if they sorted their finances out.

To be fair though, you (like me) didn't have any children.
  • Pollycat
    To be fair though, you (like me) didn't have any children.

True.
    But I'm not sure me and OH had £100k pa income (as another poster has suggested) when we were young enough to have a toddler. :whistle:
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

That's fine but it's a balance. I know people who have gone without to save for their retirement and then have never had the chance to enjoy it, either through early death or illness.

I've got a good pension but also enjoy myself now as much as possible too. Instead of putting a deposit on a house I went travelling for a year. Don't regret it for a second. I would however regret getting to 60 and getting a severe life limiting illness that meant I was basically housebound at best, requiring 24/7 care at worst sitting on a giant pot of money. Spend it while you can.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    True.
    But I'm not sure me and OH had £100k pa income (as another poster has suggested) when we were young enough to have a toddler. :whistle:

plenty do career first and kids later leaving it till their 30s/40s.

but the first post had
    We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 1 teenager and 1 toddler)
  • Pollycat
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    That's fine but it's a balance. I know people who have gone without to save for their retirement and then have never had the chance to enjoy it, either through early death or illness.

I've got a good pension but also enjoy myself now as much as possible too. Instead of putting a deposit on a house I went travelling for a year. Don't regret it for a second. I would however regret getting to 60 and getting a severe life limiting illness that meant I was basically housebound at best, requiring 24/7 care at worst sitting on a giant pot of money. Spend it while you can.
    I was merely pointing out that the OP could have a very different future if she gets a handle on the £1k+ that seems to disappear every month.

And we did spend it while we could.
    Just not all of it.

And we're still spending it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills