white goods for a new home

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best forum to post on but worth a try.
I'm in the process of buying my first house, it will be myself and my 10 year old living there.

We will need all white goods as there aren't any being left in the property.

I will need a decent, reliable, but not expensive washing machine and fidge/freezer.

What would people recommend in terms of brands and places to shop from?
In terms of washing load for the washing machine we will only need 7kg capacity for the 2 of us so we can get away with a small machine. But I don't want to go too cheap and have it break down in 18 months. Also in the past I had an indesit machine and struggled to get plumbers to look at it when the heating element went, apprently they don't like working on them??

With regards to the fridge/freezer there's room for a full size one in the kitchen. I do buy lots of fresh fruit/veg and use the freezer to store extra portions of meals so it will need a proper freezer and not just a top part.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What's your budget? If very limited, I'd look for reconditioned models from local furniture projects and charity shops, but make sure they come with some guarantee.

Brands: when my washing machine died our engineer recommended Bosch.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I usually go to AO online. There's a pick list at the side for you to choose by budget, manufacturer etc, and the reviews of the appliances have always been spot on.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    If you aren't bothered about appearance, Currys have clearance stores where appliances with cosmetic damage are sold at big discounts. Usually dents or scratches.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    People usually say good things about Bosch washing machines and dishwashers.

I have one of those larfe American style fridge freezers and I hate the freezer section. It's very narrow and stuff always falls out of the shelves. It's terrible for batch cooking and isn't even wide enough for a big pizza. Our last fridge had big freezer drawers at the bottom and these were much much better. My parents have a full height one-door fridge in the kitchen and a separate full height one-door freeze in the utility room. This gives them loads of storage. A friend has a small chest freezer in their garage for their batch cooking.which I think they picked up fairly cheaply.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I currently have a Samsung washing machine and I must say its the best I've had. Had it for 3 years and no problems yet.

Our dishwasher is from Ikea and is about 10 years old (left from previous owners) and not had a problem with it yet either.

Hope I haven't jinxed it now saying that!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Kynthia wrote: »
    People usually say good things about Bosch washing machines and dishwashers.

I'm really happy with my Bosch appliances, would always get them again.
  • room512
    room512 Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    We bought the lowest price Bosch dishwasher years ago and it's still working. That was from AO. We got our fridge freezer from Currys and John Lewis was the cheapest for our washing machine. AO was more expensive for the fridge freezer and washing machine, which surprised me as when looking for the dishwasher they were the far cheapest.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I get everything from https://ao.com next day delivery and if needed will fit and plumb in appliances. Keep it simple.

Only pain is the "friendly" call you'll get trying to flog you a warranty, a quick foxtrot oscar does the trick.
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    + for AO

I bought a Hisense as it was one of the few that a was a 50/50 split Fridge/Freezer was frost free for both, and has temp lights for both (light up on opening fridge). and a fan to keep fridge temp stable, had it 2 years with no problems, so pleased I bought one of their TV
  • Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Why not look on Freecycle for some of the appliances? You'd be very surprised at what people are happy to give away free. You could then save a bit each month to replace them with good quality appliances as when you need too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure