Coffee Gift Basket - more ideas, please!

Hello everyone - I'm a long time lurker who's really enjoying reading this site and am bowled over by how many excellent and creative ideas you all seem to come up with!

Inspired by all the wonderful hamper threads, I've decided to put together a coffee themed gift basket for my hard-to-please-and-often-a-bit-grumpy father in law - he's notoriously difficult to buy for, bless, but he *does* like trying new types of coffee. He's gone through various phases - in the past we've bought him filter coffee makers, electric grinders, those plunger style glass coffee makers, and last Christmas my husband and I bought him the Senseo pod as he'd been eyeing one up longingly. I think he used it for about a week before he got bored with it!

So anyway .... it's a safe bet that he'll like anything coffee-related. I bought a lovely brown leather high-sided tray (£10 in Tesco last weekend!) and thought I'd fill it with a variety of small packs of different coffees (Whittards, maybe??), and perhaps add some home made coffee fudge or coffee/walnut biscuits wrapped in cellophane bags. Has anyone got any other good ideas for what else to add?

C J

Comments

• Father in laws are hard I know!

A nice mug and coaster
    chocolate spoons
    little coffee scented candle
    sachets of sugar and those little cream/milk tubs
    those little pastry type tubes you get when you buy a coffee from M&S
    a little book to read while drinking the coffee
    small bottle of whisky/brandy to make irish
    How people treat you is their Karma: how you react is yours

• celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    chocolate coated coffee beans, milk frother, little stirring sticks with the sugar on them (wittards do these too I think), flavoured syrups, fancy sugar crystals, teaspoons, dark chocolate squares
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ooh, yes! A miniature (or two) of whisky is a great idea. I'm not sure about a book though, as he's not really a 'reader' as such (though I have just had a look at amazon under 'coffee', and there are some interesting factual books about the history of it etc which might be more his thing). Thanks, niptuckfan! Great suggestions :)

I'll obviously wrap the finished tray in cellophane and ribbons, but I'm wondering about how to stop everything slipping around and ending up in a heap ..... do you think strategically-placed glue-dots might be the answer, or has anyone else any tips for how they present their gift baskets?
  • C_J
    Chocolate coated coffee beans!! Brilliant, celyn!
  • C_J wrote: »
    Ooh, yes! A miniature (or two) of whisky is a great idea. I'm not sure about a book though, as he's not really a 'reader' as such (though I have just had a look at amazon under 'coffee', and there are some interesting factual books about the history of it etc which might be more his thing). Thanks, niptuckfan! Great suggestions :)

I'll obviously wrap the finished tray in cellophane and ribbons, but I'm wondering about how to stop everything slipping around and ending up in a heap ..... do you think strategically-placed glue-dots might be the answer, or has anyone else any tips for how they present their gift baskets?

Bits of blue tack or line the tray with tissue paper and make little nests here and there in the paper to place things in, then gather up the cellophane covering quite snuggly.

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • Asda Sell A Great Coffee & Walnut Cake They Are Made By A Small Home Bakery In Somerset And The Nearest I Have Ever Had To Home Baking. Somerfield Also Used To Sell Them But Don't Know If They Still Do. Asda Have A Separate Stand For Them I Think The Range Is Called Emma's . The Have The Large Cake As Well A Six Individual Ones.
  • Tchibo do little packs of coffee, not too badly priced, if there is one near you ?
    :p
    I'm trying to be a good moneysaver
    but I keep reading the bargains on the grabbit board !:rotfl:

:rotfl:
  • cymrugirl
    cymrugirl Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was thinking of doing something similar for BIL and his wife. I came across this site which looks ok
    http://www.discountcoffee.co.uk/?gclid=CP6Iwbrrho8CFQPklAodISfluQ
    The whisky laced fruit cake looks yum...and the wafer biscuits, mini marshmellows and lyons coffee I was thinking of adding to the hamper as well.
  • C_J
    I had completely forgotten about Tchibo - yes, there is one near me so I'll have a look in there this weekend. I'm hoping to find lots of different types of coffee in small packets, so he can try a variety of different ones. I'll see what they have!

Diolch yn fawr, cymrugirl! I was thinking of making a coffee cake, but now I've seen that whisky laced fruit cake, I think it's going to have to be that instead! He'll love it.
  • tracyburt
    tracyburt Posts: 221 Forumite
    Julian Graves had miniature jars of Boaters flavoured coffee at half price (£1.24), and if you have a Whittards outlet nearby it would be worth a trip as they always have cheap choc covered coffee beans , often 99p a bag instead of £2.99, and good range of flavoured coffees. M&S do chocoate stirrers at £1.99 a pack and Ikea do the battery milk frothers at 99p.
    Good luck, and welcome to MSE, I love it :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport