Advice Please

Options
Hi, new to this so please bear with me.

I had an endowment with Scottish Widows mature last month, nothing special in that or the fact that it was way below original forecasts. However, when they wrote to me asking me to call them to arrange where to pay the money, it became complicated.

Cutting a long story very short, when I rang them I asked what the maturity value would be they advised that they wouldn’t know until the ex@ct date. So I asked whether if I took the last declared value and added the relevant terminal bonus rate they had declared in their 2018 press release I would get a good approximation of the value. I was advised that this would indeed provide a good estimate of the maturity value.

Unfortunately when the policy matured it was close £4K less than the figure I had calculated. SW were unable to answer my questions so ultimately I made a formal complaint which they have upheld. They have offered compensation of £175 which they say compensates me for any financial inconvenience ! I am not so sure, should I accept their offer or are they really “in the wrong” and I should insist on a significantly higher offer ?

Views and opinions would be very welcome.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Seems a very generous offer.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ChrisCW wrote: »
    I am not so sure, should I accept their offer or are they really “in the wrong” and I should insist on a significantly higher offer ?

In the wrong in what regard. They are not in the wrong. An employee misinformed you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure