Barclaycard Platinum and FX fees?

Hi All

I have a Barclaycard Platinum card and noticed various travel sites suggesting the Barclaycard Platinum Travel card as a good card for goign abroad as there are no charges for non-sterling transactions currently.

I looked at the Barlcaycard website and the travelcard page shows a card exactly like the one I have.

I sent a message to Barclaycard CS who have come back with various information but also this....

'....5. Besides this, if you use your card abroad you will be charged a non-sterling transaction fee of up to 3%. '

Doesn't make sense to me and I wonder if the rep simply doesn't understand what I was asking.

Anyone know if there is a difference between the two cards (they look the same) for foreign transactions?

Thanks

Comments

• stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    The Barclaycard Platinum Travel card is just a regular Barclaycard Platinum card but with a 0% Foreign Exchange Fee promotion applied to it. It's much the same way they do cards with 0% balance transfer offers or purchase offers - just a regular platinum card with a 0% offer on it.

If you didn't sign up to the Travel card, then you will pay 2.99% fee on foreign spend.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Also be aware that on top of the Barclaycard fee there is a separate fee levied by the machine operator as well.

Allow 5% for total and all fees charged and you should get a bit of change out of that.
  • DonnieH
    DonnieH Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks. Have binned them off and asked for the account to be closed as didn't use that card anyway.

Will take a look at the Halifax card.

Regarding the machine operator fee....that's only if I choose their conversion rate in sterling isn't it so I choose the local currency then 0% fees?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Also be aware that on top of the Barclaycard fee there is a separate fee levied by the machine operator as well.
    What do you mean?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • DonnieH
    DonnieH Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    eDicky wrote: »
    What do you mean?

Think he means a charge by the ATM owner. Heard some are around a quid or so.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DonnieH - yes, that's right - I've had a fixed fee for some and a small percentage for others and I've also had one - so far - which charged no fee.

As I said, the total, including the card issuer's charges, came to just under 5% so I allowed the 5% of transaction to cover all the fees and charges.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    ATMs can levy a local charge, but that is pretty much regardless of which card you use. In general, the places I go to (bits of Asia, bits of Europe) don't charge a local fee.

The standard Barclaycard does have the advantage of treating ATM withdrawals a bit like purchases. You do get charged 3% up front, but then they don't charge interest provided you pay it off when you get the statement. That's not a bad deal.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    The travel card is fee free for purchases and cash withdrawals abroad until 2022.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure