Screwfix Returns Policy?

Comments

• akira181
    akira181 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 July 2018 at 12:48PM
    sorry, thought I already said the saw model. It's a Dewalt DCS-355. I bought branded cause I would like to own an oscillating tool and I've had poor experiences with no-name tools. However, this isn't up to the task. I think going battery powered vs a cable was a mistake.

I'm using a Dewalt hardwood blade that I bought separately, not applying much pressure and cutting at an angle to help with the waste clearing. I also tried the semi-circular flush cut blade that came with it but that kept getting stuck or causing the saw to jump.

So my point is that the saw is not fit for my purpose of undercutting hardwood doors. However, screwfix can say that it's fit for the purpose of cutting other wood and refuse my refund. Just hope I get a store manager that's understanding and not a jobsworth.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    akira181 wrote: »
    The door frames I cut were around 40mm but being a very old house, some of the door architrave's measure up to 60mm.

40mm is quite a deep cut for an OMT - I'd suggest using a coarse plunge cutting blade and go in at an angle. Keep pulling the blade out at regular intervals, and don't let it overheat.

I had need to cut a couple of slots in a 2x3 timber - Used a long plunge cut blade, and it was struggling after going in an inch or so.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    akira181 wrote: »
    So my point is that the saw is not fit for my purpose of undercutting hardwood doors. However, screwfix can say that it's fit for the purpose of cutting other wood and refuse my refund. Just hope I get a store manager that's understanding and not a jobsworth.

In practice, SF will probably refund you.

Legally, you would have a case if you told SF exactly what you intended doing with the tool before you bought it, and they advised you that it was suitable. I bet that didn't happen, though. Otherwise, customers could get anything refunded after using it: "This paintbrush is no good at hammering in nails", for example.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If its just a case of not using the right tool for the job then you may have an issue , can you post a link to the item ?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    I think screwfix will refund, I have found their customer service to be excellent
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Screwfix and Toolstation are great with returns within their time slots. But OP needs to ponder here - this returns policy exists to suit the building industry doing all sorts of jobbing work. It is not there to suit consumers who are buying the wrong product.

If OP's product does not match the description, or is faulty, then fight your corner. Otherwise accept it is a lesson in life and buy a better, replacement product.
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Strictly speaking the way you are doing it is a work around rather than using the correct tool for the job. Nothing wrong with that but you will have to accept that it will come with the compromise. If you want pro speed and quality you need an undercut/jamb saw. http://njrflooring.co.uk/our-blog/jamb-saw-and-doors
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • akira181
    akira181 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I understand there's professional tools that will do the same job but better and more efficiently, problem is that they have a professional price tag to match, which isn't want I really need for an occasional DIY job.

I bought a 300W battery powered Dewalt DCS-355-D2 Oscillating Multi-Tool that is advertised for precision cuts in wood. Plenty of videos (official company sponsored and unofficial DIY types) on YouTube recommending oscillating saws for doing undercuts and door frames. I even purchased the Dewalt hardwood saw blade for the job.

The problem I'm having is that 300W doesn't seem to be enough for hardwood and the unit gets very hot after 10 minutes or so of use. It took ages to cut one side of the door, a compromise of a DIY tool I'm willing to accept, but I think I'm more likely going to burn the motor out before the job is finished. Blades certainly don't last very long either and I'm being careful not to apply too much pressure, going in at an angle, etc.

Think I'm going to try and return this and buy a cabled 400W one. That should give me enough power to do the job and I can use it for other odd jobs that may come up. Failing that, I'll rent a jamb saw from somewhere.

All this hinges on Screwfix accepting my return, otherwise I'll use it until it burns out and return it as defective.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OP, you are slagging off Screwfix before you have even attempted a return, Your return has nothing to do with the 30 day warranty: you are rejecting it as faulty under CRA, as is your statutory right.
    My experience of Screwfix is that they refund on faulty items without question: I took an RCD socket back about a year ago and they didn't even open the box.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    OP, you are slagging off Screwfix before you have even attempted a return, Your return has nothing to do with the 30 day warranty: you are rejecting it as faulty under CRA, as is your statutory right.
    My experience of Screwfix is that they refund on faulty items without question: I took an RCD socket back about a year ago and they didn't even open the box.

My take is similar. Screwfix, and Toolstation tend to receive trade customers. These customers tend to know far more about matters than the staff. That means if a trade customer says something is faulty the staff do not question this.

OK I have had one or two blips over the years. But the service is excellent. When I did have a fall out with a Screwfix Branch Manager this was followed by copious apologies from HQ and more goodwill vouchers than I ever expected!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure