Window Quote by Anglia First Home Improvement - help please

Hi,
We have had a deal offered to us by Anglia First Home Improvements for 10 windows, several larger windows. They quoted us £9,800 but as they want to use our house to advertise their windows they were going to give us a discount meaning we would pay £6,800. We got him down to £5,650 but don’t really know if this is a fair quote or not...
Not knowing much about windows is a difficulty. Apparently they do not use rubber seals but something else (which I can’t remember the name of) which doesn’t break, the frames won’t discolour (and lots of other fancy stuff). They are FENSA registered and have a 10 year guarantee.
Now my issue are:
1. I don’t know how good a quality other windows from other companies are and only have 7 days in which to cancel the offer and don’t think I can face having another sales person in the house for almost 4 hours. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
2. I didn’t like the way they just drop the price and tell me that SEH would charge around £15,000 for the same job.
3. The guy was on the phone to his boss and told us his colleague was at a house near buy and it was down to one of us getting the extra discount. I took this as some kind of threat/pressure which I didn’t like, and I assume, a reputable company wouldn’t do this...
4. They told me we would have a high chance of having to change our windows in 10 years time if we get cheaper ones...
Does anyone know if this is a fair quote?
Does anyone know anything about this company? There isn’t much online. They are linked to Debbage and Tubby.
Does anyone know much about the variation in the quality of windows?
Thank you

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    They quoted us £9,800 but as they want to use our house to advertise their windows they were going to give us a discount meaning we would pay £6,800. We got him down to £5,650 but don’t really know if this is a fair quote......

theres your answer.
    id rather keep my old windows.

Get some gorm.
  • bar_1
    bar_1 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Thanks Ormus. To be honest we don't have much choice with keeping our old windows as they are very old single glazed council house windows ad we are not getting central heating, so would rather have good windows. I don't mind paying £5,600 if this is the going rate for good windows. However, if there are just as good a windows out there for a cheaper price, or not quite so good windows, but good enough out there for a better price I would like to know. So again, if anyone knows can answer any of my queries that would really help.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    10 average windows should be about 4k. maybe 5k tops.
    shop around.
    Get some gorm.
  • jrrowleyws
    jrrowleyws Posts: 652
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I know someone who was an Anglia rep, all the discounts etc are total rubbish (ie, always available and the manager just picks percentages out the air). But interestingly, if you put yourself down as having a job where you meet lots of people on the initial questionnaire you can get them to really cut their prices as they think you'll pass on their name.

I'd walk away and get some other quotes
  • Shop around. The salesman will be on £1000 for doing his bit. The fitters will be on £1000 minimum and Anglian have showrooms to pay for. You'd be better getting a quote from a local small company. Im Certass registered which is similar to Fensa and i like to work on £250 a window on average. Thats £2500 but you mentioned larger windows so it could put it up to £3000. Dont go with Anglian or Safestyle etc etc. The salesmen are on far too much money lol.
  • bar_1
    Well we signed a deal but have 7 days to cancel. I was thinking of calling then to say we can't afford it for that price (they know we are having an extension and are waiting for quotes) but we could budget for £3000. I think Id be happy with that based on the figures you are suggesting. Otherwise I will look into smaller firms.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Plasterer
    Plasterer Posts: 819 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2010 at 3:19PM
    Walk away, anglian, everest and staybright - All Con artsists - Im suprised you havnt metioned the "three hour" stay at your house and that they want to sell you finance - I cant beleive how well these companies are doing ripping people off It should be common knowledge soon that these companies are jokers.

Oops sorry didnt read yur post correctly - you did metion the 3/4hour stay
  • bar_1
    OK, advice noted! I will call to cancel!

Yes, did try to sell loan through Barclays.

I will look into small local firms.

I will spead the word to friends and colleagues NOT to use them!
  • I think even cheaper to be honest.

Hate these rip off firms!
  • true8817
    true8817 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 4 May 2010 at 8:49PM
    I think you are getting confused with ANGLIAN HOME IMPROVEMENTS.
    Anglia First in Partnership with Debbage and Tubby have been in business for 39 years and are a Norfolk based company. They are now expanding into Suffok and North Essex and do not advertise on the Television or in the cheap free papers so the only way to advertie is by word of mouth which is the best way to advertise. If you want to find out about other installations and get recommendations from satisfied customers, then just visit their website but make sure you go to Anglia first and not any others as it can be confusing
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback