Problems routing (potential) new upstairs toilet to waste pipe

I'm currently looking at getting an ensuite bathroom for an upstairs bedroom. The only bathroom I have at the moment, is downstairs on the ground floor. I had a guy come round the other day to give me an indication of the work involved. The main issue from his perspective, was there was no way to route a waste pipe from a new upstairs toilet to the existing one, because there was no exterior waste pipe (the downstairs toilet's waste pipe just goes straight into the ground).

He said he would get back to me after speaking to some more experienced plumbers, but that was on the weekend, and I haven't heard anything. Does anyone here know if this is a really tricky job? He was indicating that potentially, they'd have to dig up part of my back garden to try and locate the existing waste pipe, otherwise they wouldn't have anywhere to connect the new one to.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sounds reasonable. Presumably they'll have to locate the drain and route new pipework to it. Could be tricky if it's in a difficult location.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    A Saniflo is an option.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    EssexExile wrote: »
    A Saniflo is an option.

Even that might be awkward if the toilet waste drops straight into the floor.

I'm a little surprised that the soil isn't venting to anywhere though.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Where's the kitchen in relation to both? Could you connect to this? You wouldn't be able to easily connect to the existing bathroom stub stack.

Is it an older terrace property with ground floor bathroom to replace previous outhouse? Shared drains across the rear gardens? They were commonly vented from the external manhole rather than running vent pipes within the houses.
  • t1redmonkey
    t1redmonkey Posts: 787 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ComicGeek wrote: »
    Where's the kitchen in relation to both? Could you connect to this? You wouldn't be able to easily connect to the existing bathroom stub stack.

Is it an older terrace property with ground floor bathroom to replace previous outhouse? Shared drains across the rear gardens? They were commonly vented from the external manhole rather than running vent pipes within the houses.

Kitchen is directly below the new ensuite which I want to put in. And the kitchen is right next to the existing ground floor bathroom.

When you say 'connect to this' - what do you mean exactly (I'm not really knowledgeable on this kind of thing!).

Yes it's a very old terraced house, I think late 1800s. Ground floor bathroom I have now was probably put in to replace an outhouse I guess, though no way of knowing for sure. I don't think the rear drains are shared though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure