MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year

Options

Comments

• keef-WhatStandards
    Options
    gocat wrote: »
    Goodness knows when will I be getting my PINsentry device. I cant seem to do anything with the account till I receive this. I couldnt even send "secure message" as I need an activation code via the PINsentry thing.

Do you have any other bank accounts? Usually another bank's device will work. Another option is to ask in branch as they sometimes have "spare" devices.

Once you are up and running Barclays seems as good, if not better than a lot of their competitors, but their inability to communicate without a card reader is a big drawback.

Be prepared for the "run around" if anything goes wrong, as their answer to any problems is a meaningless error code, which no one, including their branches seems to be able translate. :(
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
  • gocat
    gocat Posts: 5,905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    If you have the Barclays debit card, you can use another bank card reader as if it was the PINsentry one.
    Do you have any other bank accounts? Usually another bank's device will work. Another option is to ask in branch as they sometimes have "spare" devices.

Once you are up and running Barclays seems as good, if not better than a lot of their competitors, but their inability to communicate without a card reader is a big drawback.

Be prepared for the "run around" if anything goes wrong, as their answer to any problems is a meaningless error code, which no one, including their branches seems to be able translate. :(

Thanks for your replies.
    Thanks, will try another card reader.
    Yes I did ask for a PINsentry when I went into branch middle of May. Have also ordered one from the account, just over a week ago. Still hasnt arrived.
    Also, worried that now the 2nd DD wasnt taken, that I wont get the full double up rewards each month.
  • morgana
    morgana Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    MDMD Have you received the double rewards now? I only got £3.50 x 2, not double.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    gocat wrote: »
    Yes I did ask for a PINsentry when I went into branch middle of May. Have also ordered one from the account, just over a week ago. Still hasnt arrived.
    Also, worried that now the 2nd DD wasnt taken, that I wont get the full double up rewards each month.

If you set up the mobile banking app (they would usually offer to do this for you at the point you went into branch to show ID) you would by now have access to Mobile Pinsentry.

AFAIK having two DDs at the time of the switch was not one of the double rewards criteria, nor is it a requirement for having Blue Rewards. It's *recommended* as it allows you to receive the full £7 cashback but it's perfectly possible to register for Blue Rewards with no DDs.

If by the end of this month you haven't received a second cashback payment, approach your bank (or risk your sanity with the telephone helpline), they have a dedicated Blue Rewards department they can pass your details to.
    : )
  • sound_mind
    sound_mind Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    morgana wrote: »
    MDMD Have you received the double rewards now? I only got £3.50 x 2, not double.

Has anybody who switched in June received double rewards yet?

I was told by customer service that the first (regular) payment of £7 would be made at the beginning of the month and the 2nd payment (£7) would be made in the second half of the month. The switch happened mid June, I got my £7 early July, but I didn't get the 2nd payment... and it's 31st of July.

When I switched, I was already an existing Barclays customer - I switched my 2nd account (Halifax) into my existing Barclays account (with blue rewards). They confirmed that I would qualify for double rewards.
  • Southcoast01
    Options
    I received my normal reward on the 3rd and my switch reward on the 17th.

I was an existing customer and just switched another account to qualify.
  • sound_mind
    Options
    I received my normal reward on the 3rd and my switch reward on the 17th.

I was an existing customer and just switched another account to qualify.

Thanks, may I ask if you were an existing customer for both the Barclays bank account and for the Blue Rewards? Or perhaps you only had the bank account and added Blue Rewards at the time of the switch?

I still have not received my double reward although the switch took place mid June. I contacted customer service...
  • youngretired
    Options
    Same as other people have mentioned I received my bonuses on the 3rd and 17th July, thou my switch happened in May so this is my 2nd lot of bonuses received. The 1st time in June the 1st bonus didn't get paid until the 28th June.

I switched into my existing Barclays account which already had Blue Rewards active.
  • PrettyFlower90
    PrettyFlower90 Posts: 204 Forumite
    edited 1 August 2018 at 12:58PM
    Options
    So I'm a bit confused with my Blue rewards. I switched my current account to a new Barclays one early June. I set up 2 DDs and then turned on blue rewards (all before the 29th June). My first fee was taken out 3rd July. I paid in £800, and only 1 DD was taken in July (there was an issue with the other DD but it's now being taken on 7th Aug). I was expecting only £7 this month reward due to only 1DD being taken (double £3.50 reward for 1 DD) and for it to be paid tomorrow. However after logging in today my Blue rewards account is showing £3 balance that is called "blue rewards refund" on the transaction name, on 27th July. Anyone else see this before? Does that mean they've cancelled my Blue rewards "account"? I was going to wait until tomorrow to see if anything gets paid before ringing them up..

Or have I misunderstood and you need 2 DDs to get both the £7 per DD?

EDIT: Phoned them up and they haven't a clue. Said to wait until Monday and if no further fee has been taken/no reward paid then I've to ring up again and see what happened. Wish I still had banks to use for switching bonuses, I've used them all so I'm having to resort to this faff for rewards :rotfl::rotfl:
  • sound_mind
    sound_mind Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I switched into my existing Barclays account which already had Blue Rewards active.

Thank you, this gives me hope :) I called them today and they tried to fob me off with saying I wasn't eligible because I had the Barclays account from 2011 and the Blue Rewards acct from 2015. I kept insisting I was eligible, then I asked to make a complaint, and was offered £25 for the trouble if I closed the complaint. I told the rep I will take the money if he wants to offer it, but I will not let him close the complaint. Then he tried to tell me there was no record of my switch from Halifax to Barclays in mid June, even though all the switch letters are in my Barclays documents online. So at that point I asked again to speak with the manager - I was given an email address and I sent them the switch letters (which they should have in their system anyway LOL) so the manager raised an investigation and finally admitted that I'm eligible. Phew.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure