Getting a credit card for travelling

Options
2»

Comments

• Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It would be wiser to get a Revolut Mastercard. It is not a credit card so no need for a credit check and you should have no problems loading money on it from your saving account. There was a link in recent email to avoid £5 fee.
  • Sheeno
    Sheeno Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all - as it stands I'm looking to use a combination of a Revolut card and a Starling debit card. Between the two of them I think I should have enough avenues to avoid many of the foreign transaction fees. If having both is unnecessary and you think one would be preferable then please let me know. I'll also have my Lloyds debit card just in case of emergencies when the others don't work. Cheers!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sheeno wrote: »
    Thanks all - as it stands I'm looking to use a combination of a Revolut card and a Starling debit card. Between the two of them I think I should have enough avenues to avoid many of the foreign transaction fees. If having both is unnecessary and you think one would be preferable then please let me know. I'll also have my Lloyds debit card just in case of emergencies when the others don't work. Cheers!

Its always a good idea to have 2 cards on you as a backup.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sheeno wrote: »
    If having both is unnecessary and you think one would be preferable then please let me know.
    Take both, there's no cost to have the backup.

Revolut puts a margin on the interbank rates during weekends (GMT), and always on Thai baht. Also 2% fee on cash withdrawals over £200/mth. Starling always gives MasterCard rate
    (same as Clarity) without fees. Interbank and MasterCard rates have no significant difference.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport