Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion

Comments

• Katecooks
    Katecooks Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We saved an absolute fortune when we switched to a water meter (with 4 adults in the home). Don't understand why people are so against them. I do make more effort to save water, but still water the garden in the summer. I remember the times of standpipes in the street when there was a severe drought. If everyone was a bit more thoughtful about water use, we'll never have shortages again. My gas bill also went down a bit when I switched to water metering - as we heated less water. No-one should go without a shower (please note all you who travel to work by tube - I'm fed up of the unwashed), but cut down the time you stand there doing nothing!
  • Katecooks
    Katecooks Posts: 33 Forumite
    Insist they check your meter and for leaks too. I find it works out cheaper (there are 4 adults living in my house), so it should be much much less for a single person. You really need to sort this and should be able to get a refund too.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Katecooks wrote: »
    Insist they check your meter and for leaks too. I find it works out cheaper (there are 4 adults living in my house), so it should be much much less for a single person. You really need to sort this and should be able to get a refund too.

Many people will save by getting a meter. However a sizeable percentage will pay more on a meter.

This is because the Rateable Value(RV) is very low on some properties.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I find water companies very interesting. They actually charge less for something which actually costs THEM more. If you are charged on your RV they just send out the bill & you cough up. If you have a meter they need the meter to be read at whatever frequency & then a bill calculated based on that & sent out at whatever frequency is set - rather than just once a year. This means that when they get most people off the RV charges, then the bills are actually going to be higher as they will cost more to produce. They will have to be because there is no way they are going to tolerate a reduction in profits.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    badmemory wrote: »
    I find water companies very interesting. They actually charge less for something which actually costs THEM more. If you are charged on your RV they just send out the bill & you cough up. If you have a meter they need the meter to be read at whatever frequency & then a bill calculated based on that & sent out at whatever frequency is set - rather than just once a year. This means that when they get most people off the RV charges, then the bills are actually going to be higher as they will cost more to produce. They will have to be because there is no way they are going to tolerate a reduction in profits.

I think most water companies produce 2 bills a year for metered customers and sometimes estimate consumption for one of those bills.

However it really doesn't matter to the water companies if it costs more - or less - if customers get a meter. This is because the amount of revenue the companies can raise is strictly controlled by the Regulator(ofwat) and the level of profit is also controlled.

So if, say, 100,000 households get a meter and pay, say, £100pa less in charges they will recoup that loss of £10 million in revenue by raising other charges slightly; their profit is not affected.
  • geffers88
    geffers88 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I did this and it wasn't a lot of help for me personally so I decided that I would close the account that you have to set up when you join Aqkwa.co.uk which is the overall site. This is impossible to do by email . You have to write to the company. Now, if they sign me up on-line then I want to be able to cancel on-line!!!!! and not have to write to them. Just be aware that once you have given them your details there is no-where to cancel.
  • hubrad
    hubrad Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I followed that link for free water-saving accessories, and put in my postcode and ££ per month bill, which should tell them exactly how much water I actually use. After all the 'how many taps' etc questions, Aqkwa reckoned that I could save more than I actually spend!

Ho hum, any advice is better than none,I suppose.. it's still a shock to look at a number of litres per year.
  • Hi everyone,

I came across this competition open to anyone who lives in Sutton / Surrey / South London - chance to win some brilliant products for reducing water bills.

Calling all #Sutton residents! Has the warm weather led to more water use? Looking to start saving time, money and water?

Environmental charity HubbubUK is giving away 10 x Water Saving Goody Bags filled with amazing products such as 8litres regulated shower heads, dry shampoo, waterless car polishing kit and more.

To enter all you have to do is like this post and send an email to hollie@hubbub.org.uk.

The competition closes midnight 12th August.
  • Hi Martin,
    A good article, I fail to see why a vital utility is in the hands of private business and I speak as someone who has been looking into this issue for over two years.
    Regarding savings, as a Council tenant I paid through the Council's ALMO and, for nine years, paid around £550 per annum. Now metered and the bills last full year came to £164.
    12% of the money collected with rent stays with the Council, in contravention of Water Orders and the basis of calculation is Rateable value from 1970, a basis that was never suitable or equitable. It's likely that 3000 tenants in Southend on Sea are paying more than they should.
    Ofwat will not support this and sit on the fence.
    Regarding calculators offered by the water companies, these are likely to overestimate the cost. If you go to meter, the first account will be inflated, if you then go to DD charge will be based on that inflated account.
    Reading periods are constantly bucked, if you want to stick to bi-annual (May and November) you will need to send your own reading.
    Sewerage is based on 90% of the water supplied, however in Essex the standing charge is high due to 'low population', in other words the company has insufficient infrastructure and they charge customers for that !
    This issue is a minefield, note the following :-
    Metering will become compulsory, but at present you can have a meter removed within two years of installation.
    You don't need landlords permission to have a meter installed if you have a tenancy longer than six months.
    Water has a monopoly at the mo, this will change, but that echoes gas/elec, which may not help.
    Councils, water companies and regulator have no interest in changing things regard Council tenants.
    Benefits for disabled people are not available to Council tenants without meter.
    Alan, Southend Water Action Group.
  • MSE_Kelvin
    MSE_Kelvin Posts: 340 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Hello Katecooks,

We're doing a section on cutting water bills for next week's Money Tips Email as bills will be going up from 1 April, and we're looking for examples of people who have saved money by switching to a meter - do you have any sort of idea how much money you've saved per month or year?

Thanks for your time and help,

MSE Kelvin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport