REWS - renewable energy

Options
2»

Comments

• Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's great that you got good advice.......and even better that you have taken it. Eskbanker put it all in a nutshell IMHO.

If you follow that and then have funds sufficient to invest then anISA S&S route is one wise way to go made up of collective funds or trusts.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,276 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's always reassuring when someone signs up to the forum just to post a positive review of some "investment scaheme" that is completely unsuitable to most of the people frequenting this forum and should generally be avoided.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Particularly when it drags an old thread up the google search rankings.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I take it a spam post has been removed making post 13 by masonic somewhat enigmatic?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,276 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I take it a spam post has been removed making post 13 by masonic somewhat enigmatic?
    Yes, I refrained from quoting it as I thought it might get removed.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The post I'm quoting will probably have been deleted by the time I've submitted this but here goes....
    Roderick_G wrote: »
    Dear fellow savers.
    Schemes like this are patently unsuitable for savers - they are pretty questionable for investors too and if you don't know the difference then that obviously discredits the rest of your post right from the off.
    I have invested a significant amount of money into the REWS bond.
    How much exactly? What proportion of your overall portfolio does this represent? Where is the rest of your money? Timeshares perhaps? Storage pods? Parking spaces? Wine?
    I have been to the site in Tipton and was very impressed.
    Why should investors need to visit a site in Tipton (or anywhere else) to reassure themselves that it's a sensible proposition and what specifically did you see there that you feel gives confidence in their ability and willingness to repay your money?
    I have seen all of the due diligence
    All of the due diligence? What does this mean? Whose due diligence?
    and had this checked over with independant people.
    How much did you pay for these independent reviews?
    My interest payments have all been made on time.
    And you think that's significant? How much easier do you think it is to make small interest payments than to return capital?
    I understand that there will be skeptical people who would rather throw their opinions around rather than finding out the facts however there is no evidence to suggest that this is not a stand up investment. I used to own several commercial properties and with the rental I would make approx 9% per annum. There are plenty of ways of making these sorts of returns.

My advice would be to look into REWS thoroughly and make your own mind up and not be put off my keyboard warriors with no factual insight into the investment.
    As there are indeed plenty of ways of making these sort of returns, why on earth would you consider it a good idea to pick this one? How did you and/or your adviser weigh it up against other more mainstream offerings in the market? Which of the criteria posted by bowlhead99 last year do you claim to meet?

Or are you just another [STRIKE]feeble one-post shill[/STRIKE] enthusiastic amateur who feels the need to share their good fortune in spotting a too-good-to-be-true opportunity?
  • GCJ2019
    Options
    I was contacted recently regarding a potential investment in the REWS operation. Having looked into the investor updates that have been issued, i can see that the plant is still under construction and not fully operational yet, not a major issue as these things dont happen overnight i know.
    However, one question I have that the sales agent seems to be fudging around is how have REWS been able to pay the 6 monthly interest payments if they have no income from the business?? If as I see it, the bond has been up and running since August 2017 there would have now been 3 payments for the first investors, coming from a non profit generating business thats not fully operational, am i missing something blatantly obvious or is this an infamous 'Ponzi' style arrangement??
  • londoninvestor
    Options
    GCJ2019 wrote: »
    I was contacted recently regarding a potential investment in the REWS operation. Having looked into the investor updates that have been issued, i can see that the plant is still under construction and not fully operational yet, not a major issue as these things dont happen overnight i know.
    However, one question I have that the sales agent seems to be fudging around is how have REWS been able to pay the 6 monthly interest payments if they have no income from the business?? If as I see it, the bond has been up and running since August 2017 there would have now been 3 payments for the first investors, coming from a non profit generating business thats not fully operational, am i missing something blatantly obvious or is this an infamous 'Ponzi' style arrangement??

While many businesses borrow money and need to pay interest before they're profitable, you would be wise to stay out of this one.

Wherever the company contacts you about an investment, and it's a "fixed rate backed by assets blah blah", there's a high probability of things going wrong. Have a look at the "London & Capital Finance" thread on the Savings & Investment board for an example.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

It's a very good question and one that I suspect they will be unwilling or unable to answer. Remember that it is unregulated so you have no backup should anything go wrong whether that's fraud or the company not being able to make sufficient returns to pay you back.

https://damn-lies-and-statistics.blogspot.com/2019/02/mini-bonds-does-asset-secured-mean-they.html
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    However, one question I have that the sales agent seems to be fudging around is how have REWS been able to pay the 6 monthly interest payments if they have no income from the business??

This blah doesn't need to make sense it just needs to be sufficiently credible to get enough people to hand over their money. If you don't like the story then I can tell you another one...

Alex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport