Section 75 refunds - article discussion

Comments

• Don't know if anyone can help. I'm one of the unlucky many who has a flight booked with Monarch. I rang up my credit card provider this morning (Tesco Bank) and asked to make a claim under section 75.
    The representative then said they would make the refund claim as a charge back rather than as a section 75. Are they allowed to do this as I requested a section 75?
    I understand that a charge back places the obligation more onto Monarch's bank rather than onto Tesco Bank's shoulders. I requested that a note should be added to my account that I requested a section 75 and that Tesco went for a chargeback instead.
    What are the chances of me getting the full amount back? What sort of timeframe? I will need to rebook a flight but if I have to pay for both this month that's putting me out of pocket by quite a bit!!
    Should I ring them again and push for a section 75 claim instead?

Thanks in advance
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Don't know if anyone can help. I'm one of the unlucky many who has a flight booked with Monarch. I rang up my credit card provider this morning (Tesco Bank) and asked to make a claim under section 75.
    The representative then said they would make the refund claim as a charge back rather than as a section 75. Are they allowed to do this as I requested a section 75?
    I understand that a charge back places the obligation more onto Monarch's bank rather than onto Tesco Bank's shoulders. I requested that a note should be added to my account that I requested a section 75 and that Tesco went for a chargeback instead.
    What are the chances of me getting the full amount back? What sort of timeframe? I will need to rebook a flight but if I have to pay for both this month that's putting me out of pocket by quite a bit!!
    Should I ring them again and push for a section 75 claim instead?

Thanks in advance

Section 75 can take a long time and in this situation will make no difference to time scale.

Charge back will be quicker and easier for everyone, but due to the nature of this particular problem you may end up as an unsecured creditor, let Tesco use charge back at this stage.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How much were the flights?
  • LABMAN wrote: »
    How much were the flights?

Flights were £211 for the return journey in the end, I was just concerned that Tesco were trying to pass the buck in terms of getting a refund but I suppose if Monarch's creditors run out of money then eventually S75 will become the only option.

Cheers
  • Hi all,

I think I already know the answer to this having read some of this thread but thought I'd ask the question just in case.

I've booked flights with Monarch for 9 lads including myself, cost £460 but each individual flight is only £51 so I can't claim under section 75?

Can they do a Chargeback claim for me ?
  • PeteBunn wrote: »
    My wife purchased 2 X £125 hot air balloon experience tickets, from a local company, on her credit card, after many attempts of booking and the company cancelling due to weather, visibility etc we received a letter from the company stating they had ceased trading, no mention of wether this was due to administration or just folded the business.
    The letter said they had arranged for our booking to be honoured be "virgin balloons" and would receive a letter from them which we did, however the reason we chose a local company was for a local tour and virgin ballons offer a tour in a 60 mile radius which is not what we wanted and not what we paid for, do we have any right to make a claim against our credit card, thanks guys

Been a few weeks since original post, if no-one has any answers does anyone know of any other sources of information, just need some advice... thanks
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    PeteBunn wrote: »
    Been a few weeks since original post, if no-one has any answers does anyone know of any other sources of information, just need some advice... thanks

The problem you probably have is you have been offered, in my mind, a very reasonable alternative. Is it actually 60 miles away or is that the maximum distance away it will be?
  • Hi sorry if this has been asked before but we are at our wits end with this guy.

I am considering filing a section 75 claim with my credit card company against a builder who has been dragging his feet and not meeting deadlines and has now been ignoring us over the past few weeks.

We put down 30% deposit (about 4k out of the 16k total) and agreed to pay in a number of stages.
    He has completed a few of them: replaced a couple of roof windows, the front door, soffits & facias, guttering (although only half has been done).... which we have paid for those stages.
    The main part of the job is to replace our shabby old lean-to (polycarb planel roof and wood structure) with a more permanent conservatory structure. Over a month ago, he pulled the old one down and built a small wall and a brick base (which has also been paid for as part of stage payments). Annoyingly since the area is enclosed in a brick "enclosure" and there is no guttering on that side of the house (as that's supposed to be on the conservatory frame), it has basically meant that the whole thing becomes an unusable swimming pool for days after a bit of rain!! We have mentioned this many times as a concern but he says it shouldn't be a problem and he suggested he would come and put some temporary guttering up in the mean time...but that has not happened in the last month since we have been asking for it.
    So...so far, he has claimed that his first conservatory supplier let him down after we waited about a month for what should have been delivered in 4-5 days. He apparently placed the order with a different supplier who quoted the same turnaround but surprise surprise it wasn't delivered on the date which was promised to us
    He knew from the start that there was a deadline for this work being 22nd September as it was the date of a party for our baby and my wife's birthday. He agreed that since this was nearly 2 months off, it would def be done by then. It wasn't. At all. In fact we had to cancel the party as we don't have enough room to accommodate without the new lean-to and the amount of stuff that is piled up in other rooms etc in limbo ready to go into lean-to. We didn't even have the existing old one to use as that was taken down weeks prior. His "wife" emailed to say that he will come back to complete the job in 2.5 weeks time. That date is this today. We have messaged him to confirm all is ok a number of times over this past week but only just got an email this morning saying that he was going to the hospital this morning and will message us on his return. (the reason wife is in quotation marks is that we're not entirely convinced that she is the one emailing as she has the exact same lack of punctuation and spells certain words incorrectly as the builder guy does.. it sounds like him in a dress)
    So.... I'm not sure what we can do here. Cancel everything and leave us even more in limbo and have to pay for someone to make good on the stuff he has done? Claim with credit card company under section 75 as we paid deposit on card? I mean, the fact that we paid stage payments for the work that was completed I assume means we cannot claim that back? Can I only claim back the 4k deposit? I guess I can't claim for any compensation for him letting us down and not meeting deadlines and causing us to have to cancel plans?
    Any advice on how to deal with this situation would really be appreciated.
    No Links in Signatures by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Hi, we are currently on holiday in Mexico. Yesterday morning 12 police cars arrived and order everyone to back their bags and leave immediately. Looks like it’s something to do with a land ownership dispute and the vote has been shut with immediate effect. We have been moved to a nearby hotel but nobody from our original hotel has yet come to speak to us! The alternative accommodation is vastly different from the hotel we booked so I’m trying to find out what my consumer rights are. Paid the holiday on my virgin atlantic Visa card. It was 50% at time of booking (made via booking.com) and then balance on arrival. Thanks.
  • shoi
    shoi Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Section 75 is a last resort, you need to communicate with booking.com in the first place, and keep lots of records. Photos. contact details of other guests. Newspaper stories possibly.

Contact booking.com, and lay it on thick and make sure you have copies of you said they said
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure