DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've been having a think about my final debt balance. It's barely decreasing because I'm only paying token £1 payments to all my creditors for a few months in order to get a healthy F&F fund together. It's depressing me as I was going great guns getting it down before:o

What I plan to do is deduct from my total the full amount of the outstanding balance on the unenforceable debts. My total will show only what I might have to pay on the others. Even then I hope to get away with less eventually if I can negotiate F&Fs. I know it's massaging the figures but it will give me a boost. My optimism has taken a nose-dive lately:(. I expect it's perfectly normal to 'hit the wall' after a few years on a DMP. Even if I have to pay a pittance on the unenforceables to get rid of them for good with F&Fs it will only be for about 10% like January managed to do. They can take it or leave it, it's better than the zilch that I'm paying them now:rotfl:. I already have enough saved up to cope with that eventuality.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about this? I've always been totally accurate and honest with my figures before so it seems a bit weird to me not to keep doing it. Back later when I've totted it all up.

Edit: By that accounting method my enforceable debt balance is £15841. Looks a lot healthier than £21808;). Gives me hope that it's attainable:j. I haven't changed my signature balance though. Wimping out:o

Definitely go with the lower figure :)

I go even further than that when looking at my figures :) I also deduct from the total debt balance the amount I saved for F&Fs. I have that money and I COULD IF I WANTED TO pay it off my debts, but at this time I am choosing to hold on to it to negotiate F&Fs. To me this is the true state of my total debt :)

Keep your chin up CBC - you are doing great :)
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Hi all

CBC I know what you mean about the debt not decreasing due to token payments. Occasionally I've had thoughts about going at it again with all guns blazing. But I sit and think about having a healthy back up fund with money to offer F&Fs if the opportunity ever arises.

Keep at it, your motivation is an inspiration and however you look at the figures that make it easier for you then go with whatever suits you.

On a good note for us the 2 defaults from BC have landed, its official :D.
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    Under civil procedure rules they have to warn you in writing first if they intend to take court action.

It's called the "pre-action protocol", the two parties have to attempt to either agree payment, or a payment plan before involving the courts.

This is been tightened up further still from October 1st.

So you will get plenty of warning.

Thanks very much Sourcrates :)
  • Thanks everyone for your advice on my debt balance quandary yesterday:A. Much appreciated as always:T

Sorry to clog the thread up yet again with a non-DMP query:o but I'm sure someone here can help.

I'm trying to reclaim unfair credit card charges (late payment fees, overlimit fees etc) from the 18 months before I went into a DMP when it should have been obvious that I wasn't coping. I see that Martin's template keeps mentioning 6 years of transactions etc and I need a little more than 6 years worth. I appreciate that financial institutions don't have to keep data older than 6 years but I've amended the template to ask for more and will just have to hope for the best.

My question is who do I send the SAR to? All my accounts are administered by DCAs and some have been sold on to others. Does anyone know if I should address them to the original credit card company in the first instance please? Where £10 is involved I need to be sure they hit the target;)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thanks everyone for your advice on my debt balance quandary yesterday:A. Much appreciated as always:T

Sorry to clog the thread up yet again with a non-DMP query:o but I'm sure someone here can help.

I'm trying to reclaim unfair credit card charges (late payment fees, overlimit fees etc) from the 18 months before I went into a DMP when it should have been obvious that I wasn't coping. I see that Martin's template keeps mentioning 6 years of transactions etc and I need a little more than 6 years worth. I appreciate that financial institutions don't have to keep data older than 6 years but I've amended the template to ask for more and will just have to hope for the best.

My question is who do I send the SAR to? All my accounts are administered by DCAs and some have been sold on to others. Does anyone know if I should address them to the original credit card company in the first instance please? Where £10 is involved I need to be sure they hit the target;)

You don't nessessarily need to do a SAR.

Just ask for all charges and fees to be refunded between (date) and (date).

That's all you have to do.

Complain to the original creditor that added the charges in the first place.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    You don't nessessarily need to do a SAR.

Just ask for all charges and fees to be refunded between (date) and (date).

That's all you have to do.

Complain to the original creditor that added the charges in the first place.

Is it really that easy?:eek:. Martin has done quite a lot on this and has provided a template for requesting information on credit card charges etc (with the statutory £10 fee) prior to a reclaim. I was going on the information and advice he'd given.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Is it really that easy?:eek:. Martin has done quite a lot on this and has provided a template for requesting information on credit card charges etc (with the statutory £10 fee) prior to a reclaim. I was going on the information and advice he'd given.

You can do it that way if you wish.

All I did was the above, and they sent me a list of charges I had paid, which I successfully reclamed from them.

Try the free way first, if they don't play ball, send the SAR.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Hi all
    I've just had two scary sounding letters, one from Lloyds saying "despite several reminders including the issue of a default notice served pursuant to section 87(I) your account is still in arrears) and the one from vanquis says if my payment isn't made within 14 days they'll pass on my details to a DCA :( I've made my third reduced payment- please tell me these letters are nothing? Panicking all over again. Thanks all x
  • The lloyds one also says they may get a DCA to collect. Please say they won't come to my house :(
  • Hi there

Try not to panick as they are standard computer generated letters, ideally you want them to be sold to DCA, s as there is a better chance of getting lower full and finals further down your debt free journey

Max
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport