Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newfork
    • By newfork 10th Dec 19, 5:53 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    newfork
    Scottish Power - Advice Needed
    • 10th Dec 19, 5:53 PM
    Scottish Power - Advice Needed 10th Dec 19 at 5:53 PM
    Hi all, this might be a long post. I am one of those affected by the Extra Energy collapse. When it happened end of last year to earlier this year, I was not informed of the transition. It was only after two months of not receiving a bill, did I call them and found out that I was being transferred to Scottish Power. This was a terrible surprise but once that was sorted, I started paying my energy bills.

Come May earlier this year, I had to leave the country as my job was taking me elsewhere. I did due diligence, closed my account and provided my final meter reading. Received a final bill which I paid, and even got back £0.02 from. I thought this was done. Left the country and now working in another.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I received an email from Scottish Power saying that I owe them £85. The bill didnít make any sense as it was the same duration as I had made the payments once my move from Extra Energy was transitioned. After calling up customer service, the fellow over the phone indicated that the owed amount was from Scottish Power finally getting ďrevisedĒ calculations from Extra Energy, and that even if I choose to escalate to the complaints channel and seek resolution (ie. Dispute) Iíll still have to pay them.

So Iím wondering: despite having closed my account, made the final bill payment based on actual meter reading, and moved country Ė is it fair for me to not pay Scottish Power? £85 is no small amount.

Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • danthemoneysavingman
    • By danthemoneysavingman 10th Dec 19, 8:23 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    danthemoneysavingman
    • 10th Dec 19, 8:23 PM
    • 10th Dec 19, 8:23 PM
    Gather your evidence and raise to the ombudsman, perhaps.
    Only evidence will resolve this I suspect.
    Good luck!
    Let me Google that for you...
    • Streaky Bacon
    • By Streaky Bacon 11th Dec 19, 1:55 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    Streaky Bacon
    • 11th Dec 19, 1:55 AM
    • 11th Dec 19, 1:55 AM
    If you look at all of the bills from your last pre-collapse Extra Energy bill up to the latest bill, do the meter readings tally up? Are the opening readings of each bill the same as the closing readings of the previous bill?

Did SP mention what the "recalculation" involved? (perhaps they claim that a meter reading was wrong, or the wrong tariff was used, perhaps)

My experience of SP is that the staff will tell you that black is white, and will then, without missing a beat, tell you that they've never even mentioned black or white to you. So their statement about the futility of disputing the complaint should simply be ignored.

That said, if there is an obvious mistake with the billing and SP can show that there was, then you would be liable to pay (as they have 12 months to correct their mistakes).

However you should at the very least raise a complaint, and ask for compensation for your inconvenience.

If they have clarified the "revised calculation" to you then let us know and we may be able to advise further. If not, you should ask them (in writing) to explain it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

342Posts Today

4,482Users online

Martin's Twitter