Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • april_hunt
    • By april_hunt 10th Dec 19, 6:51 AM
    • 35Posts
    • 45Thanks
    april_hunt
    prepaid to credit - is it as easy as it seems
    • 10th Dec 19, 6:51 AM
    prepaid to credit - is it as easy as it seems 10th Dec 19 at 6:51 AM
    Me and my husband moved into a property just over a year ago and have prepaid meters. I don't mind as such but now we've had smart meters fitted the start of the year i'm constantly watching. We spent around 30 on electric a month and dependent with gas 40-60. when we aren't in the gas gets switched off to save. To be quite honest i'm fed up of trying to save when we need to be keeping warm. I rang British gas and they quoted me 80-90 for each to move to credit which isn't saving us.
    Any recommendations would be handy
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 10th Dec 19, 9:05 AM
    • 3,279 Posts
    • 2,403 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 10th Dec 19, 9:05 AM
    • 10th Dec 19, 9:05 AM
    As a general rule if you move to a credit meter you get access to a wider range of tariffs which could on their own save you money as opposed to prepayment. However you will probably have to pass a credit check for this.

For keeping warm, wearing extra clothing tends to not cost anything...
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 10th Dec 19, 10:27 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    Gerry1
    • 10th Dec 19, 10:27 AM
    • 10th Dec 19, 10:27 AM
    You may have spoken to the wrong person: according to MSE, British Gas don't charge you for switching to credit meters. Try again using email or live chat so that you have a record in case it's promised free of charge but you then get billed.

You may be able to switch to a supplier who will then change the meters free of charge, although they may require you to stay with them for a year.

If you don't need to be on pre-payment there's no point in putting up with the higher bills it brings.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 10th Dec 19, 10:47 AM
    • 4,888 Posts
    • 3,367 Thanks
    Houbara
    • 10th Dec 19, 10:47 AM
    • 10th Dec 19, 10:47 AM
    British Gas can t support Secure Liberty meters as prepayment meters but they can use them fine in credit meter mode if you pass their credit history check.
    Most suppliers have a credit history check before accepting credit meter customer.
    Prepayment meter rates have now become more in line with credit meters due to capping .
    Bulb s rates are the same for prepay or credit meters and would be my recommendation as one of the cheapest prepayment meter rates in the UK
    Last edited by Houbara; 10-12-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 10th Dec 19, 10:50 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • 10th Dec 19, 10:50 AM
    • 10th Dec 19, 10:50 AM
    Me and my husband moved into a property just over a year ago and have prepaid meters. I don't mind as such but now we've had smart meters fitted the start of the year i'm constantly watching. We spent around 30 on electric a month and dependent with gas 40-60. when we aren't in the gas gets switched off to save. To be quite honest i'm fed up of trying to save when we need to be keeping warm. I rang British gas and they quoted me 80-90 for each to move to credit which isn't saving us.
    Any recommendations would be handy
    Originally posted by april_hunt
    Start here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity/
    • april_hunt
    • By april_hunt 10th Dec 19, 11:21 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    april_hunt
    • 10th Dec 19, 11:21 AM
    • 10th Dec 19, 11:21 AM
    I rang British gas and i passed the credit check it was to go onto monthly would be costing us double everything month on both which i dont understand how they can do this. I used uswitch this morning to check bulb will save us but we cant move as we have a smart meter and they don't accept these. The next one i think was eon and was us paying more than what we do now
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 10th Dec 19, 11:33 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • 10th Dec 19, 11:33 AM
    • 10th Dec 19, 11:33 AM
    I rang British gas and i passed the credit check it was to go onto monthly would be costing us double everything month on both which i dont understand how they can do this. I used uswitch this morning to check bulb will save us but we cant move as we have a smart meter and they don't accept these. The next one i think was eon and was us paying more than what we do now
    There are usually a lot better offers, and certainly a greater range, available to those with credit meters.

So take up the offer of having credit meters.

Please reply here with details of your estimated annual consumption in kWh for each fuel supplied (your supplier can provide this to you), together with your supply region (or first part of your postcode if that is easier)

Unfortunately you still seem to be doing something wrong, and these details will allow someone to assist you further.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 10th Dec 19, 11:43 AM
    • 5,329 Posts
    • 3,542 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 10th Dec 19, 11:43 AM
    • 10th Dec 19, 11:43 AM
    ................We spent around 30 on electric a month and dependent with gas 40-60. ..............
    These are very typical figures - as has been said credit meters will give you access to a wider range of tariffs.

Beware that many suppliers will ask for the first DD up front.

No idea where BG came up with double the cost figure.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 10th Dec 19, 12:20 PM
    • 628 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    Talldave
    • 10th Dec 19, 12:20 PM
    • 10th Dec 19, 12:20 PM
    Even if the DD is initially set to a crazy amount, you will only have to pay for what you use and any overpayment refunded. The sooner you switch once in credit mode, the smaller the overpayment you'll be waiting for. Maybe wait until Christmas is out the way before kicking the process off?
    • april_hunt
    • By april_hunt 10th Dec 19, 12:27 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    april_hunt
    I've done what you've put it into a comparison site and if we swap to eon (i think it was them) we will be paying 68 more a year that's based on what i've put in that were using.
    Bulb is our best option but wont accept us because we have smart meters

I think like you all say get Christmas out the way and look into it more
    • Michaelw
    • By Michaelw 10th Dec 19, 8:48 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Michaelw
    This is happened to me with British Gas and I had real problems having the smart meters reverted to prepayment mode,its very expensive.If you switch away the meters will be set to credit mode and EDF quotes with smart credit meters and Bulb will do the same and ask to pay by direct debit,this is very risky to someone who is on prepayment,bills can soar away daily and can lead to debt's hence leading to a repayment mode smart meter to recover.With prepayment you are a vulnerable customer,liable to quick meter battery repairs/replacement and more protection to whinge.
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 11th Dec 19, 10:18 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    I've done what you've put it into a comparison site and if we swap to eon (i think it was them) we will be paying 68 more a year that's based on what i've put in that were using.
    Bulb is our best option but wont accept us because we have smart meters

I think like you all say get Christmas out the way and look into it more
    I think I may have asked this before, but if not...

Please reply here with details of your estimated annual consumption in kWh for each fuel supplied (your supplier can provide this to you), together with your supply region (or first part of your postcode if that is easier)

Unfortunately you still seem to be doing something wrong, and these details will allow someone to assist you further.
    • april_hunt
    • By april_hunt 13th Dec 19, 7:09 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    april_hunt
    Morning

Apologies I didn't put my details, they are as followed:-
    Electric - 1873.02
    Gas - 14165.04
    CB6 first part of post code
    With our gas if were not in or dont need it we wont have the heating switched on although my husband has now said we should keep it on all the time. Our bungalow is quiet old and we dont have a tempostat we can set the temperature to a steady heat through the day which is annoying
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 13th Dec 19, 8:49 AM
    • 5,329 Posts
    • 3,542 Thanks
    Robin9
    Morning

Electric - 1873.02
    Gas - 14165.04
    I'm not sure what you've given us.

Are these your recent meter readings - or your annual consumptions ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • april_hunt
    • By april_hunt 13th Dec 19, 9:56 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    april_hunt
    The person asked me for my annual consumptions which is what those are
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 13th Dec 19, 3:41 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    Morning

Electric - 1873.02
    Gas - 14165.04
    With our gas if were not in or dont need it we wont have the heating switched on although my husband has now said we should keep it on all the time. Our bungalow is quiet old and we dont have a tempostat we can set the temperature to a steady heat through the day which is annoying
    With that usage it will currently be costing you about 1070 on BG PPM tariff (elec 36pm, gas 53pm), as you indicate

Or you could switch to Nubah Energy, and the same energy would cost you only 929 pa (elec 31pm, gas 47pm)

If you have credit meters, then from BG it could cost 777pa (elec 28pm, gas 37pm)
    But that is on their BG Energy And Boiler Cover Jan 2021 tariff, which is not available direct from BG - you need to go via a comparison site. See this week's MSE email for more details

Eon would be 759 pa on their exclusive tariff - Fix Online Exclusive v21

Else with BG it would cost you 1025 pa (elec 35pm, gas 51pm)
    Are you sure you did not misunderstand BG, as that is a total of 80-90pm, rather than for each fuel.

Even better, once you have credit meters, Utility Point could provide you the same energy, using the same pipe, wires & meters, and charge you just 707 pa (elec 25.50pm, gas 34pm).
    That's on the UP Just up 19 wk 50 direct tariff, and could be saving you 363 per year compared to what you are currently paying
    Last edited by Flt. Lt. Biggles; 13-12-2019 at 3:50 PM.
    • april_hunt
    • By april_hunt 16th Dec 19, 10:53 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    april_hunt
    With that usage it will currently be costing you about 1070 on BG PPM tariff (elec 36pm, gas 53pm), as you indicate

Or you could switch to Nubah Energy, and the same energy would cost you only 929 pa (elec 31pm, gas 47pm)

If you have credit meters, then from BG it could cost 777pa (elec 28pm, gas 37pm)
    But that is on their BG Energy And Boiler Cover Jan 2021 tariff, which is not available direct from BG - you need to go via a comparison site. See this week's MSE email for more details

Eon would be 759 pa on their exclusive tariff - Fix Online Exclusive v21

Else with BG it would cost you 1025 pa (elec 35pm, gas 51pm)
    Are you sure you did not misunderstand BG, as that is a total of 80-90pm, rather than for each fuel.

Even better, once you have credit meters, Utility Point could provide you the same energy, using the same pipe, wires & meters, and charge you just 707 pa (elec 25.50pm, gas 34pm).
    That's on the UP Just up 19 wk 50 direct tariff, and could be saving you 363 per year compared to what you are currently paying
    Originally posted by Flt. Lt. Biggles

I did double check with what british gas was saying but there is no telling if she was giving me the right figures as i dont have much faith in them.

I've never heard of Nubah energy so will look into this.

Alot of people have said as we have a smart meter they are unable to swap us across

Thank you for your help i'm going to look into this over next few days
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

2,518Users online

Martin's Twitter