Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cavalino
    • By Cavalino 6th Dec 19, 1:51 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Cavalino
    Credit card assignment letter
    • 6th Dec 19, 1:51 PM
    Credit card assignment letter 6th Dec 19 at 1:51 PM
    I had a credit card many years ago and was paying a set amount each month to clear the debt direct from my bank.
    I had stopped using the card years ago also.I move around alot with work and change address a lot so the direct from bank set up was good for me.I have recently had some mail picked up for me and in the pile was a letter from Arrow Global saying they had bought the debt and I now owed them the money.The letter said it had been reassigned to them.I have asked a few people and feel that if they have bought the debt then the debt has been cleared with the original creditor who I had the agreement with ,and I have no contract with this new lot,they seem to be on a fishing trip .
    Paid peanuts now want the full amount which isn't a lot anyway any ideas what to do.I have been told not to call them as they will want joinder(whatever that means)
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Dec 19, 1:55 PM
    • 24,828 Posts
    • 27,725 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Dec 19, 1:55 PM
    • 6th Dec 19, 1:55 PM
    You've not been asking very smart people, unfortunately. They may well be Freemen of the Land, so best not to ask them for any more advice.

The debt has been sold on and the contract with it, so you owe the new creditor. You need to come to an arrangement with the new creditor, whether that be paying it off or challenging its validity.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 6th Dec 19, 4:20 PM
    • 4,763 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 6th Dec 19, 4:20 PM
    • 6th Dec 19, 4:20 PM
    they seem to be on a fishing trip .
    Paid peanuts now want the full amount which isn't a lot anyway any ideas what to do.I have been told not to call them as they will want joinder(whatever that means)

This may or may not be true or partially true.

Please confirm the date that you last communicated with anybody about this debt and the date of your last payment.

Don't know what wanting 'joinder' is. Didn't you ask the person who told you this what jonder means?
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 6th Dec 19, 4:47 PM
    • 5,199 Posts
    • 4,840 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 6th Dec 19, 4:47 PM
    • 6th Dec 19, 4:47 PM
    @OP

If you are accepting the account is yours, have you then checked whether the account is Statute Barred (SB)? To determine if the account is SB, you need to live in England or Wales and answer yes to all the following points:
    • it had been more than six years since you last made a payment;
    • and the creditor has a cause of action more than six years ago;
    • and you haven’t acknowledged the debt in writing during this time;
    • and the creditor hasn’t already gone to court for a CCJ.

The cause of action for the credit card account would be the date of default.

https://debtcamel.co.uk/statute-barred-debt/
    Last edited by Willing2Learn; 06-12-2019 at 4:51 PM.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Uxb1
    • By Uxb1 6th Dec 19, 6:59 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Uxb1
    • 6th Dec 19, 6:59 PM
    • 6th Dec 19, 6:59 PM
    Don't know what wanting 'joinder' is. Didn't you ask the person who told you this what jonder means?
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Probably a "rejoinder"
    A legal defence put forward to rebut a claim against you
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 6th Dec 19, 9:05 PM
    • 19,127 Posts
    • 18,051 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 6th Dec 19, 9:05 PM
    • 6th Dec 19, 9:05 PM
    Debts are bought and sold on a regular basis, the original agreement allows the creditors to do this, the new owner inherits all rights and privileges that the original creditor had, so your liability is only in question if they cannot supply evidence of the debt when asked to do so, or the debt is barred by statute.

Where your account is concerned, that’s all you need to know.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 06-12-2019 at 9:07 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,361Posts Today

7,947Users online

Martin's Twitter