Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LostCdn
    • By LostCdn 4th Dec 19, 1:31 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 3Thanks
    LostCdn
    Why is my gas use so high?
    • 4th Dec 19, 1:31 PM
    Why is my gas use so high? 4th Dec 19 at 1:31 PM
    Hi all,
    I moved into a tiny wee flat to save money and its been costing me way more since moving there. Been there only two weeks, already my gas alone has cost 60.
    My life now revolves around my gas metre.
    The flat is a VERY small (the size of my old living room and hallway) one bedroom in the East end.
    It's a ground floor single glazed but I've got that plastic stuff around the windows, aluminium behind the radiators, and the thermostat (which is ancient - don't even know if it works) is at the lowest - 10.
    I have the boiler on so low that I'm freezing all the time, hardly have hot water.
    The gas is a prepayment but still I can't imagine it's that much more expensive that it should be using so much gas.
    My supplier has taken my metre readings and says there's nothing wrong and no debt on it.
    Something has to be wrong.
    From Saturday afternoon until Monday evening the metre readings went from:

Sat 13:22
    09725.847m3

Tues 20:22
    09750.604m3

That's 11 in 4 days and I was cold!
    My rate per unit is 3.56p and standing charge at 35.6p per day.
    So I used 25 units during that time which they say the cost reflects. So I can't figure out if it's the metre or the flat but something isn't right and I can't keep living like this.
    Landlord - who has been useless - said boiler is only a year old though it's due for servicing he hasn't called in the engineer and says he'll do it when he's back in town but isn't sure when that is. Insists there can't be why problems with th boiler.
    I'm also from Canada so I've never dealt with this stuff before and my old flat was so warm and cost very little and we huge, so never dealt with any issues.

I don't know what to do...or even what to get looked at.
    SSE wants to charge 35 to have metre looked at and at this rate I can't afford that.
Page 2
    • poorlad
    • By poorlad 4th Dec 19, 4:19 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    poorlad
    Hi

For you, as a consumer, billing is largely irrelevant for prepayment meters. It's how much you're topping up and what the meter is telling you i.e. what credit you have left on the gas meter.

If it's not an issue with the boiler being on all the time - surely the rads would be hot all the time if the boiler was constantly running or you've got very hot water?

Then it could be the actual debt recovery rate left on the meter from a previous occupier. The utility company should send an initialisation flow to reset any debt collection which is transferred when you put your key meter in to the meter after topping up. Also, you should be able to tell what the DRR rate is set to on the meter by scrolling through the meter options - pressing the button next to the display, If in any doubt contact your supplier and ask them to talk you through it.
    • Blackpool_Saver
    • By Blackpool_Saver 4th Dec 19, 4:33 PM
    • 6,207 Posts
    • 7,843 Thanks
    Blackpool_Saver
    Single glazing is your problem. However, having the boiler on low is probably a bad idea as it's burning gas but not really heating radiators enough to have any effect. It's probably running on low 24/7. Run it at it's highest temperature, get some heat in the radiators and then the thermostat will actually get to the point of switching the boiler off. It'll then run for short bursts at full heat output to maintain the temperature.
    Originally posted by Talldave
    Yes, as it is now it's on constantly
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 4th Dec 19, 4:41 PM
    • 6,968 Posts
    • 5,953 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

is thermostat like this, maybe has numbers rubbed off?

Y'all take care now.
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 4th Dec 19, 4:45 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Gerry1
    Update! I took my metre index this morning and turned the boiler off! Then looked at the metre index now, with the boiler still off and it's gone up by 1 unit!
    Originally posted by LostCdn
    Are you supplying the landlord as well?
    • poorlad
    • By poorlad 4th Dec 19, 4:49 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    poorlad
    Or more worryingly a leak!
    • LostCdn
    • By LostCdn 4th Dec 19, 4:49 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LostCdn
    Thermostat even older than that! Can I post a pic somehow?
    • LostCdn
    • By LostCdn 4th Dec 19, 4:52 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LostCdn
    • LostCdn
    • By LostCdn 4th Dec 19, 4:54 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LostCdn
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 4th Dec 19, 4:54 PM
    • 6,968 Posts
    • 5,953 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

this,

Y'all take care now.
    • LostCdn
    • By LostCdn 4th Dec 19, 4:55 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LostCdn
    It's not allowing me to post any images - but found a pic on Google saying Honeywell t6360
    • LostCdn
    • By LostCdn 4th Dec 19, 4:56 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LostCdn
    Yes!!! That one!!!!
    • LostCdn
    • By LostCdn 4th Dec 19, 4:58 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LostCdn
    I can't smell gas, but I do find it odd a whole units been 'used' and the sse people want to charge to send someone if there's no issue with the metre - it's so hard to tell if it's the metre, the boiler, the thermostat, the flat itself....
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 4th Dec 19, 4:59 PM
    • 6,968 Posts
    • 5,953 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

you seem to have it set pretty high.

Are radiators heating up well, maybe needing bled.
    Y'all take care now.
    • LostCdn
    • By LostCdn 4th Dec 19, 5:00 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LostCdn
    No I have it set at only 10! The lowest number on the thermostat
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 4th Dec 19, 5:03 PM
    • 6,968 Posts
    • 5,953 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

sorry, I was going with the picture set at 28.
    Y'all take care now.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 4th Dec 19, 5:05 PM
    • 5,073 Posts
    • 3,410 Thanks
    victor2
    I can't smell gas, but I do find it odd a whole units been 'used' and the sse people want to charge to send someone if there's no issue with the metre - it's so hard to tell if it's the metre, the boiler, the thermostat, the flat itself....
    Did you use a significant amount of hot water for anything, like a bath or shower between readings?
    Was it a whole unit, or did the meter just click over from something like 1.9 to 2.0, and you just saw the change in the figure before the decimal point?
    If you really didn't use the boiler between the readings, and nothing else runs off gas (like a stove), then it should not have recorded any usage at all.
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 4th Dec 19, 5:33 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    couriervanman
    This won't let me.reply directly - sorry! Maybe I'm daft.

Re: bulb - it was the third cheapest option and seemed to have by far the highest customer ratings. Didn't get the referral from anyone but have since heard of people I know using it with decent feedback. Unlike SSE

As for the thermostat - it's such an old model there doesn't even seem to be a model anywhere!!
    If I turn it up then back down and hear a click - does that mean it works? I don't think I can submit a pic or link here to show you but it's literally just a dial....
    Why do people worry so much about CS.....cold hard cash is key
    • LostCdn
    • By LostCdn 4th Dec 19, 5:46 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LostCdn
    To my knowledge nothing else runs on gas, except heating and hot water. No shower, no nothing was used during that time.
    The exact figures at 11:10 am versus 4:15pm:
    • LostCdn
    • By LostCdn 4th Dec 19, 5:47 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LostCdn
    Would a boiler engineer also check all the gas stuff is working or are they all separate? I can't seem to get my landlord to call a boiler engineer and it has to be thin, and sse wants to charge 35 for me to get someone to examine the metre. Could it be a gas leak if the boiler was off?
    • Blackpool_Saver
    • By Blackpool_Saver 4th Dec 19, 5:49 PM
    • 6,207 Posts
    • 7,843 Thanks
    Blackpool_Saver
    Why do people worry so much about CS.....cold hard cash is key
    Originally posted by couriervanman
    CS, what's that?
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,844Users online

Martin's Twitter