Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 20th Nov 19, 2:05 PM
    • 4,541Posts
    • 9,371Thanks
    TallGirl
    Mortgage free and finally in a forever home
    • 20th Nov 19, 2:05 PM
    Mortgage free and finally in a forever home 20th Nov 19 at 2:05 PM
    Iíve been a member of these forums since 2006 and had numerous diaries but I know feel like I have come to a bit of a milestone so time to start afresh and also be more finance and money saving focused.

I will try to keep this short, but I am fast heading towards the 50 and had a pretty steady life until almost 5 years ago where my marriage broke up and I moved to London for work. I have had 4 different jobs in that 4 years and lived in 4 different places in London.
    I have been with my girlfriend referred to as DG for almost 5 years and we live together in a Guardian property with my best friends who is here 4 3 nights a week. It is very cheap but also very run down as they are pulling down the blocks and building new ďsocial housingĒ which it so isnít. Prices for a 1 bed starts at £280K madness madness.

There wasnít really a plan when I moved to London for a 1 year, contract and DG joined me 6 months later after a bit of a disaster job in Dorset. Both of us arenít from London (DG is just north of London and I am Scandi but been on the South Coast for 25 years). We both hate city life and not having any outside space is horrible plus when the lift breaks, we are on the 5th floor.

DG sadly lost her mum almost a year ago and my contract was coming to an end this September so we started talking about moving back down South where we first met and DG has family.

I managed to clear my mortgage 9 years early on a property I bought with my then husband in 1994. Thanks to this site and being part of the Mortgage Free in 3 I would never have done it. I rented this out for 3 years, but the tenant gave notice in March last year, so everything seemed to point towards going back down.

Sadly, DG did not want to live in my marital property (I always knew this) so after having had 3 years to think about it I agreed best plan was to sell it and get a forever home just for us.
    DG gave in her notice last March and they let her go sooner than anticipated and she wasnít immediately about to get a consultancy job in her field. She was as it happened out of work for less than 2 weeks as she on a whim applied for her dream job in London. Massive pay rise and too good to miss so guess what the plan of working from the South Coast for her went up in smoke.

Fast forward I put my house for sale in April and mid May the actual estate agent buys it for himself. Sale completed in September, so the money is sat in my bank account ready for my next forever home which completes in 10 days. The forever home was found in June so been a while, but it is ours very soon.

My job ended in September and I didnít want to stay on so had thought of taking 6 months out and completing my CILEX studies. However as with DG a perfect job came up and although I had a month off in September, I started that 1st October. It is the same salary if a bit less than I was on and its only 15 months but it is a way into this organisation and I am still learning the ropes.

Plan is to spend every weekend in new house and then work up to working 1 day a week from home. My work doesnít really allow this until I pass probation, but I can ask before then. Most of my team work one day a week from home anyway so I hope it can be sorted.
    I think that is enough waffle as an opening post the plan is to have regular updates on money and money saving (need to buy a lot of stuff for new house) and also short medium and long term goals.

Hope you will follow my journey even if it isnít to be mortgage free it is hopefully to see how mortgage freedown allows for a pretty cool lifestyle.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 20-11-2019 at 2:20 PM.
Page 2
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 29th Nov 19, 11:35 AM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Thanks guys just had the call that the money had gone through now it's just when the keys are available obviously but as I won't be down until 4ish it doesn't really matter.

Another big bonus vendor can't get rid of the fridge in the kitchen so they are leaving that. Perfect for us as we are not doing the kitchen for quite some time. Would be nice of the washing machine is there too but I doubt it. Doesn't really matter as we can wash here.

No more sleeps just hours now.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 3rd Dec 19, 6:02 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    My goodness moving house is very hard work even when there is no furniture. Friday went without a hitch got in about 6 and dg turned up at 9 lots of running around looking at everything in the empty house.

Saturday off to get van and then start unloading my storage unit. Took until 2 pm when my friend from Cornwall turned up then my housemate so that evening we had dinner and slept well ready to empty DGs unit on the Sunday. Up early and got going with that luckily we had some help from her family and got rid of two wardropes left in the house. Got stuff out of her aunt garage so by now the lounge dinning room and garage is packed plus the shed.

Monday hot tub was meant to be there at 9am but at 7.45am I get text see you in 15 min I only woke up at 8pm. We had changed our mind where it should go so it all looked good they could do it but in the end no way as gate too small. Decided to put it temporarily in the driveway behind gate but then they couldn't fit cover as not enough space to walk around it. Really annoying but decided to leave it ad get wall removed before doing anything else.

House is in good condition just a lot of stuff is old and new replacing so may as well do it all as it's a forever house. Moneyfordreams I feel like you now I see all the stuff I need want to get done. I have a healthy budget but long wish list. Monday we tidied up some more went and picked DGs aunt up so she could have a look and got a guy who was recommend to come and look at wall next week.

Fridge they had left as they couldn't sell it broke day 2 so got second hand washing machine and huge fridge freezer for £260 delivered and installed. Annoying but needed freezer and nice to have a washing machine down there until we do kitchen.

I shall try and post some pictures as we go along but the views are stunning and we both love the house and having proper bathrooms with a spa bath is amazing.

Got up at 5am to drive back really good run so that will work well had breakfast in the car even. So tired early night after dinner for me.

Also better day at work maybe it is all starting to click into place after all.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 3rd Dec 19, 9:01 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Forgot to be accountable spendingwise.

Latte and snack Friday while waiting at the house. Only joint spending Sat, Sun and Mon but today two latte's as I was so tired. Did get one free with an employee perk that gave me two free vouchers for Nero couldn't earn points sadly.

Going to bed now so so tired and the flat is still freezing. We have hive heating at new place so fab you can set when you're away. We have ordered the hub £60 that's £20 off as it was Black Friday. Very happy can then control from here.

As I said lots of money to be spent I'll try to keep track on here.
    • BVic28
    • By BVic28 4th Dec 19, 3:45 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    BVic28
    So exciting that you’ve got your keys now! Looking forward to all the updates on the works, I love house chat
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 4th Dec 19, 8:57 AM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 7,535 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Lovely to hear you are in at last With us one simple job has lead to many others with a domino effect... At least you have a healthy budget
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950
    Re mortgage August 19 £110470, HSBC £3250cc, Hfx £6600, NW £5650 M&S £1150, car £5500.
    CC 16650 , it's coming down
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 4th Dec 19, 8:11 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Ok let's gets some pictures on this site if I can get it working

I'm using tiny upload but it doesn't seem to work I can get a hyperlink which wasn't what I wanted, any techies please let me know.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=04853344165673085125

Picture is of the back garden where the hot tub will go they have confirmed they will move it before Christmas which is great. Just need that wall down which I will post a picture of when I work out how.

Spend today was for soup and a sausage roll plus Latte in Greg's so cheap and cheerful and nice.

Bought some Christmas presents and also sorted car insurance out so all good. Also got my address on my license sorted.

Work was slightly better today got to speak to some real propel and I can do this job even if I have to teach myself .
    Got told I can work from home Monday and then following Thursday and Friday. Can't actually stay at new house or I won't see dg so not ideal but means I don't have to suffer with low chair in horrible office. Anyway enough moaning about my job and back to playing with uploading pictures.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 04-12-2019 at 8:32 PM.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 4th Dec 19, 8:46 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Thanks for popping in MFD and BVic28 will be lots of house talk cannot wait to get it as I want

This is wall that needs to come down so we can link pool bar(garage) with rest of garden
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=36104169974157731016

This is where it is currently stuck and nothing can get past it

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=19790833068781266311

Finally the other garden that needs a wall or fence to separate it from the front Garden

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00746327004502732285

I think that's enough for now also paid myself back for some joint expenditure and put it straight into a little slush fund I can use to pay my credit card.

Any way early night for me still tired after early start
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 5th Dec 19, 9:32 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Spend today £1.80 on soup and then manager agreed I can work from home 3 days in the next two weeks plus tomorrow. Doesn't really mean I can be down at new house sadly due to internet lacking and dg having to be here but I do save on travel which is nice.

Tired tonight early night to you all.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 6th Dec 19, 3:48 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Been nice working from home got a lot of work done maybe I am finally starting to enjoy it. Also ,ade musli and packed the car which is hard as it's 5 flights of stairs no lift,

No spend today bought soup for lunch but put it on joint account as was buying other stuff. Local Sainsbo is so expensive but easier to bring food down and cheaper than stopping at a petrol station tonight.

Dg isn't going to her works do she's coming home at 6 we will have dinner then drive down to house. Lots to do tomorrow shopping is a major one once all deliveries have been. I really hope the table and stuff gets delivered without a hitch. Be worried about that still. Will be good when it's all in the house.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 6th Dec 19, 5:54 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Let's see if this works and it did here is the back garden the hot tub is going in the right top corner

[IMG][/IMG]

This is where it is currently stuck

[IMG][/IMG]

Good news is that the guy will be there tomorrow at 9.30am to look at it and see if this can be made wider
    Last edited by TallGirl; 03-01-2020 at 4:06 PM.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 7th Dec 19, 10:08 AM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Gardener has been great he can do it unfortunately the van that was due to pick up the furniture from storage was broken into so cannot do it. They only told me at 9.30 and now they are trying to get someone by 2pm. The guy who has the storage unit isn’t best pleased.
    • Tahlullah.H
    • By Tahlullah.H 7th Dec 19, 11:06 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    Tahlullah.H
    If its not one thing, its another. It will sort in the end.

Enjoy it anyway!
    Where there's a will, there's a way!

Mortgage outstanding - 31/8/19 - £76,000. 31/10/19 - £73,100. 30/11/19 - £71,900.
    31/12/19 - £70,700
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 7th Dec 19, 2:05 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Removal is now booked for 19/12 I'm working form home and can go there to let them in the lock up as guy is posing me the keys. I will then have to call on DGs uncle to receive the other end.

Done big food shop £151 having roast tonight then bulk cooking cottage pies tomorrow. Hive hub arrived dg playing with that and internet is working. Also previous owner pooped around with some cleaning tablets for spa bath we were actually going out to buy and also some other bits. He's also shown us how to work out the light outside.

Also taken old fridge to the dump no charge and an old top mattress getting there slowly.

Going back out shopping in Lidl this time for bulk cooking, then small town then big town for telly, tired just thinking about it.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 9th Dec 19, 7:18 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    £75 to do the wall so that's great news don't know how soon he can do it so waiting for that. He's responded each time so that is great.

Measured the lounge and in the process of ordering two sofas. We bought identical on Facebook last year and we both like them and they are so comfy so seems silly not to go with the same. It's is these ones. https://www.dfs.co.uk/aurora/rra12apza#ampViewer

2 and the 3 seater live chat was calling me back at 7 we shall see. Migth take the interest free credit for the whole balance.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 9th Dec 19, 8:05 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    All done interest free for 4 years dg is paying half so makes sense to do it like that.

We will get them in 7 weeks it’s hard to sit on the floor though.

Looking forward to getting them should all fit cut out on trace paper so check it fit.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 10th Dec 19, 2:48 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    God having fun with new house. Nightmare journey on tube to work before I had even reached the office call from estate agent who sold us the house. Our next door neighbour called them to say our garage door had flung open in the storm and our hot tub cover had flown off. Really nice of them and we also got email from previous owners. Called new neighbour to thank her and DGs uncle was on his way to fit locks on the garage and shed so hopefully he’s tidied things up. I can’t get hold of him but will try again later. Now we just need gardener to report back when work can be done to knock down wall.

Currently on a train to Kendal away now for 3 nights.
    • Tahlullah.H
    • By Tahlullah.H 10th Dec 19, 8:44 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    Tahlullah.H
    Have fun in Kendal. Lovely place in my opinion.
    Where there's a will, there's a way!

Mortgage outstanding - 31/8/19 - £76,000. 31/10/19 - £73,100. 30/11/19 - £71,900.
    31/12/19 - £70,700
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 11th Dec 19, 6:42 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    It was lovely especially
    Today when I got to see more of it. Good session too I can see it’s the kind of work I’ll really enjoy doing so that was a positive indeed.

Also news that hot tub will be moved Tues morning and wall is being done Mon morning so everything worked out fine phew. Shame we don’t get to use it until after we get back from holiday but something to look forward to.

Nice being on expenses although lunch cost a bit more today but it was worth it. I’ll be heading out for dinner soon there is a restaurant here but there is also a load of restaurants down the road and a kebab place has caught my eye. Not hungry at all and it’s take away.

Things are slowly coming together next step is plastere and electrician might use rated people if no luck with recommendations.

Hope you all have a nice evening.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 14th Dec 19, 4:40 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Xmas party and work trip great got back yesterday afternoon and went to the house, dg joined me a bit later got two cars here now.

Had my hair and nails done today £84 for both incl colour so much cheaper than London. Also spoken to a Plastere who can do my ceilings and got the washing machine place to come out and look at the washing machine that leaks.

Going to Ikea in a bit for a bed for the 2nd bedroom, the one they left the base I knackered and actually we want a Super king. Wasn't planning one getting it yet but need something decent to sleep on. Need to take old frame to dump tomorrow annoying it's another job but needs must also must get boxes up in the loft ready for free sofa tomorrow afternoon.

Also went into town got a xmas present, delivered a bit to the guy who bought my house and got cards as we now have cards from 3 neighbours.

Dg is feeling rough.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 16th Dec 19, 7:36 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Exciting news on house today we have wall down so big hot tub move tomorrow which is so good.

Washing machine also being looked at it leaks always has done and they are coming out to hopefully fix it. Tuesday is also Plastere coming to have a look which is so good personal recommendation so great he is keen.

Thursday is furniture delivery day got key for lockup that's part one going to plan on that.

Also got recommendation for structural engineer guy who bought my house (estate agent) used him and he is very local. Coming out 28/12 so we are starting to take shape so nice it moving forward.

Dg has the next two days off it's the first anniversary of her mums death so she was going to stay in a hotel where her mum lived but is now going to the house. It's really good for me as she'll be there when they deliver the hot tub and can speak to the plastere.

I'm off to Leeds tomorrow last trip and no more London office for me until the new year. Sadly I left my expensive shampoo travel bottles at last hotel and I've also lost a Tupperware container at my office tonight. Must do better, spent money on two coffees today those 5am starts kills me but I win a stamp at Nero. Tomorrow I'll be on expenses.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 16-12-2019 at 7:44 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

482Posts Today

5,717Users online

Martin's Twitter