Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PMSG
    • By PMSG 25th Oct 19, 5:37 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    PMSG
    Storage Heaters
    • 25th Oct 19, 5:37 PM
    Storage Heaters 25th Oct 19 at 5:37 PM
    My sister has moved onto an all electric retirement apartment with storage heaters. This is all new to me. I am finding it impossible to get help about choosing a tariff (or even a meter) to best control her electricity bills. The problem I have encountered is that many sources of help (eg. Uswitch) don't cover Economy 10 tariffs. Where can I go to get help about whether Economy 10, Economy 7 or flat rate metering will be best for my sister? How can I be sure that selecting a meter will not prevent her switching in future?
Page 3
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 3rd Dec 19, 7:10 PM
    • 5,322 Posts
    • 3,538 Thanks
    Robin9
    Malc
    Originally posted by PMSG

........... The problem will remain with me though as I will have to judge whether or not my old storage heaters will stay warm if they are only heated up during the 7 hour Economy 7 window ...............[/QUOTE]

You could experiment by switching off the heaters individually during the day and see how much warmth there is during the evening
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Economy 10 meter
    Malc

Hi Malc

Thanks for your help.

Got the number from a very efficient member of your Chat Team.

Rang it and spoke to someone in the Simpler Metering Team who then put me on hold and then left me hanging (12 minutes call). Rang it again and had a very helpful conversation with another member of the Simpler Metering Team. It seems that both E7 and E10 meters are available. I am waiting for some cost estimates for the different metering options to be sent to me by post. The problem will remain with me though as I will have to judge whether or not my old storage heaters will stay warm if they are only heated up during the 7 hour Economy 7 window and any estimates of day and night usage on Economy 7 can only be guesstimates

I have also been told that switching between E10 and E7 with a SMETS2 Smart Meter is a software rather than a hardware change and hence can be done remotely - has anybody on the forum got a SMETS2 meter and made such a change?[/QUOTE]

Happy to help PMSG and glad we were able to take this forward a little even if this was at the second attempt.

I must admit, I've not come across the E10/E7 remote switch on SMETS2 meters before. I'll find out more about this.

Thanks for the heads up PMSG.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • PMSG
    • By PMSG 10th Dec 19, 6:22 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PMSG
    Hi Malc

Thanks for your help.

Got the number from a very efficient member of your Chat Team.

.... had a very helpful conversation with another member of the Simpler Metering Team. It seems that both E7 and E10 meters are available. I am waiting for some cost estimates for the different metering options to be sent to me by post.

I have also been told that switching between E10 and E7 with a SMETS2 Smart Meter is a software rather than a hardware change and hence can be done remotely - has anybody on the forum got a SMETS2 meter and made such a change?

Happy to help PMSG and glad we were able to take this forward a little even if this was at the second attempt.

I must admit, I've not come across the E10/E7 remote switch on SMETS2 meters before. I'll find out more about this.

Malc[/QUOTE]
    Hi Malc

Two things;

1. I have still not had the price estimates promised by your Simpler Metering Team nearly a week ago. Am I being impatient or do you think I may have misunderstood their intentions?

2. Have you managed to find out about the SMETS2 functionality question you raised above?

Many thanks

PMSG
    E.ON Economy 10 meter

Malc
    Hi Malc

Two things;

1. I have still not had the price estimates promised by your Simpler Metering Team nearly a week ago. Am I being impatient or do you think I may have misunderstood their intentions?

2. Have you managed to find out about the SMETS2 functionality question you raised above?

Many thanks

PMSG[/QUOTE]

Hello PMSG and I would've thought the estimate would've been with you by now. Might be an idea to give them a nudge.

As promised, I've raised the SMETS2 query with my usual smart meter contacts. They've sent the question to a technical team for clarification. I'll chase up a reply.

Thanks for your patience PMSG.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • PMSG
    • By PMSG 19th Dec 19, 2:49 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PMSG
    Hi Malc

Gave them a prompt and have now been sent the letter by email. Pity they didn't send it that way first time of asking!

Very keen to learn about SMETS2 functionality as it is relevant to my choice of meter.

Regards

PMSG
    E.ON SMETS2 Smart Meters
    Hi Malc

Gave them a prompt and have now been sent the letter by email. Pity they didn't send it that way first time of asking!

Very keen to learn about SMETS2 functionality as it is relevant to my choice of meter.

Regards

PMSG

Hello PMSG and glad you've received the letter at last. Sorry for the delay.

I've finally had an answer from our technical people to my query about switching between Economy 10 and Economy 7 with a SMETS2 smart meter.

This needs to be a physical meter exchange. They've confirmed we cannot remotely switch customers between Economy 10 and 7.

Thanks for your patience PMSG and have a good weekend.

Malc
    • PMSG
    • By PMSG 7th Jan 20, 4:01 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PMSG

I've finally had an answer from our technical people to my query about switching between Economy 10 and Economy 7 with a SMETS2 smart meter.

This needs to be a physical meter exchange. They've confirmed we cannot remotely switch customers between Economy 10 and 7.

Malc
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    Hi Malc

Thank you for persevering and getting an answer - even if it's not the one I want to hear!

To be absolutely clear are you saying that SMETS2 meters for customers on Economy 10, Economy 7 and standard tariffs are all materially different and if the customer were to switch between from any of these tariffs to one of the others it would require a physical meter change (presumably at the customers expense)?

Thanks for your help.

PMSG
    E.ON Smart Meters
    Hi Malc

Thank you for persevering and getting an answer - even if it's not the one I want to hear!

To be absolutely clear are you saying that SMETS2 meters for customers on Economy 10, Economy 7 and standard tariffs are all materially different and if the customer were to switch between from any of these tariffs to one of the others it would require a physical meter change (presumably at the customers expense)?

Thanks for your help.

PMSG
    Your welcome PMSG. Happy to help.

For Economy 10, a physical meter exchange is needed where customers don't already have this type of meter.

Customers with Economy 7 meters have the option of both Economy 7 and single rate tariffs. If they already have Economy 7 and want single rate prices we add both registers together and charge all usage at the one price per kWh. Not all suppliers offer this service.

Where there's a single rate meter in place, a physical meter exchange is needed to go on to Economy 7 prices.

The above scenarios are the same for SMETS1, SMETS2 and classic meters.

Any charges will depend on the individual circumstances behind each request for a meter exchange.

Hope this explains PMSG. Please let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,542Posts Today

7,266Users online

Martin's Twitter