Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 19th Jun 19, 11:35 AM
    • 949Posts
    • 3,604Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Our MFW Adventure!
    • 19th Jun 19, 11:35 AM
    Our MFW Adventure! 19th Jun 19 at 11:35 AM
    Hi,

I've had two previous diaries, but as things change and time moves on, so do our goals and aims. I set up my last diary in November 2016, and boy have things moved on since then! So, we're starting a new chapter in our MFW journey and with that comes a new diary.

A little bit about us for anyone who hasn't met us before, we're a family of four, me (32), OH (37) and two DD's (6 & 1).

We live currently live in the suburb of a major city, and over time would love to move to somewhere semi rural, but we need to get this mortgage out of the way first

We refinanced our mortgage earlier this year (mainly due to Brexit looming, becoming a one income family and wanting to keep the certainty of a low interest rate), so we have a balance of £55,579.36 outstanding on a 5 year fixed rate product.

This year will be a slow start, as we're getting married at the end of the year and are cash flowing the entire thing, no debts/loans etc.

I will sit down with OH and look at our SOA and see if there is anywhere we can start looking to reduce spends.

My first goal is to try to raise £79.36 before 31/07 as a token OP to move us forward.

We're a quirky bunch and things don't always go as planned, but we're going to give it a try
    2020 Target - Pay Mortgage Down Mortgage Starting: £51,737.26 Currently: £51,737.26
Page 6
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 9th Oct 19, 10:23 PM
    • 10,143 Posts
    • 21,080 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Great win on the trainers and other freebies. We all have money fails - at least you've noticed and can hopefully nip it in the bud and replenish your savings asap. We emptied our emergency fund this month - and I am counting the days until Tuesday when I can replenish a good chunk of it. I'm also trying to grow our savings ready for Christmas.
    During 2020: Target 1) £25,121 to be repaid in 2020 (0%) Now down to £24,703 Target 2) repay £1450 off (OP £102.51) mortgage now 144872 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 13th Oct 19, 6:45 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Hello!

Thanks for dropping by Saving Holmes, it's always great to have people popping in x

So, it has been a busy few days. I have been approved for some new typing work . There is an aspect of it I need to learn, but it should come with practice. I just need to bear this in mind for the first couple of weeks.

We have been to visit some friends this weekend, which was lovely and meant we could spend some quality time with people we don't see very often due to distance.

We have a busy week this week, and with that comes some spends. My car is due to be collected from the garage tomorrow (£120 work needed on my car, including my new tyre). I had £60 put aside as I had pre-paid a portion of the service/MOT, but I will need to put £60 in my earnings goal for this coming week to stay on track for my end of month goal of not going back into the overdraft.

I need to do a small grocery shop, but most of it is already in cupboards/freezer I will plan the meals this evening and get the list ready for the week ahead

Have a great week everyone!
    2020 Target - Pay Mortgage Down Mortgage Starting: £51,737.26 Currently: £51,737.26
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 19th Oct 19, 3:00 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Happy Saturday!

Lot's going on behind the scenes at the minute, so apologies for being MIA again for a few days.

In money news, the car service and MOT was £85 over what I had pre-paid (down from the estimated £120), due to an issue with the provider not being able to complete the work in the agreed time frame.I had already put £60 aside, so need to find another £25 before the end of the month.

I have also had to pay out for a school trip (£15.50), we've opted to get the SATs practice books for DD1 (£7 for both) and a shop to get us through to payday next week (£58.01).

Actions needed this week in terms of money
    ;

- I can only spend the cash in my purse (about £6).
    - I need to list 10 more items for sale on ebay.
    - I need to continue with the current typing work.
    - I need to cook from scratch at home from what we have in.
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 21st Oct 19, 11:55 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Good morning!

We're 4 days away from payday Today I will need to get some milk, eggs and bread, but other than that and the £1 spent on playgroup, nothing else will be bought.

This months tracking has shown where the money has gone and the working with cash has reduced spends in my food category, so I will do the same again for next month and look to reduce other categories too.

There are lots of things going on behind the scenes this end, including a potential new job for OH, but we're trying to take it in our stride and make the decisions that work in line with our long term goals
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 1st Dec 19, 8:11 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    So, I’ve not really posted over the last couple of months as we have been living a lot of life in that time. As we head to the end of 2019, we still have some busy times over the Christmas period.

A brief overview to date on where we are with our money goals at present;
    - Our wedding was cash flowed, with the exception of approx
    £1500 that we had to borrow from current savings.
    - Our mortgage balance currently sits at £53,445.87.
    - Our net worth has increased since we started to track it in
    April 2019.

We will take some time over the festive period to discuss our goals for 2020, however, our current goal is to replenish the money we borrowed from our savings (£1358.34).

In terms of day to day spending my December budget is being tested, mainly by unprecedented requests from the school for money for various things. We won’t be participating in everything, otherwise the budget will be blown.

Anyhow, I’ll leave that now, in case it becomes a political debate as opposed to a budgetary observation.

This weekend, I have a number of bits to pop on the bay of E and a local selling site. The DD’s will keep any money for their stuff (minus fees and postage) and any money made from our bits and pieces will go into the savings to get us back to the £10k mark.
    Last edited by Needhelpsaving; 01-12-2019 at 2:08 PM.
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 4th Dec 19, 11:01 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Good morning!

We're ticking along nicely here and are on budget. Sunday and Monday were NSD's, I did spend money yesterday (top up shop and new shoes for DD2) and have spends planned for today (school fete and stamps).

I have had just over £6 approved from Checkout Smart and Shopmium, this will go towards the cost of DD2 new shoes as they were not in the budget (we hadn't anticipated her growing through the last pair so quickly!).

I used a £2 manufacturers coupon for some washing powder and picked up the box that has more coupons on With it being on offer and the £2 coupon, it made it the same price as Aldi for more washes

I have been chipping away at the Ebay and local selling group listings. I have done 3 more this morning and am due to have a sold item collected later this morning. This is an item of DD's so I will split the money between them (it was DD1's, passed down to DD2 ).

Jobs to do this week;

1. Send out name change letters - Who knew there were so many people to tell??? I'll start with banks and HMRC I think.

2. Continue listing items for sale online.

3. Get a new sign in card from the bank (I think DD2 has gotten a hold of it ).
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 7th Dec 19, 9:10 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Morning!

So this week we have had 2 ebay/selling group sales - both collected/posted and paid for. £6 was split between the girls as that was one of their items, the money made on ebay will go towards DD2 unplanned new shoe purchase.

We are on track with the budget at the moment. I used some M&S vouchers this week for milk, bread and sausages, so a £13 spend came down to £3. I also bought some new towels (much needed) with some vouchers. The only other spends were xmas gifts (budgeted).

This weekend will be very frugal. I think we have only 3 gifts left to buy for the festivities. I have 5 more bundles to list for sale, then I think that's everything I have found listed for sale.

I didn't do 1 and 3 from my to do list, so they will be rolled over to this coming week.

Have a great weekend!
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 9th Dec 19, 1:54 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Well that weekend flew by in the blink of an eye!

Fairly frugal weekend as planned, mostly visting an pre-planned activities. DD1 has a party, present we already had, as I had picked up some sale items earlier in the year in preparation for this sort of thing. I did need more milk and cereal (I swear I live with a plague of locusts!).

Two more bits listed for sale online over the weekend, and one previously listed item has sold for £1 less than listed for , that should be collected this evening.

Today; we went to a local playgroup (£1), I finally called the bank about getting a new log in thingy, I've set up my online pension portal (2 years after they asked me to ) and I've sent off the name change docs to the bank with our joint account as we currently have £700 worth of cheques with my married name on that have got me in gear

I have a £3.50 spend (school related) to pay today, but then that's everything. Free swimming session planned for tomorrow and I need to return something for a refund.
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 10th Dec 19, 7:44 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    So we chickened out of the free swim session today - we were frozen when we got back from the school run, so cuddled up and stayed inside. In which time, DD2 decided to produce my banking log in thingy ... the one I cancelled yesterday ... and was wandering around pretending it was a mobile phone! Hilarious to watch, but she could have 'found' it yesterday!!!!

By spending the morning at home, I did get 3 more items listed for sale online ... and ended up finding another 7 things to be listed!

I had one item collected last night, so that's gone off to a nice new home (Children's bookcase/sling thing). I have dropped the price on a couple of items that haven't budged as I need to free up some space in the house. I'm hoping the price drop might entice a buyer.

I have two more xmas presents to pick up tomorrow (budgeted) and then I need to get stuff wrapped and distributed

We did have a surprise delivery of a craft box thing trying to get us to reinstate them after the free trial we had in the summer. I've hidden it away for now as DD's have enough to keep them occupied in the run up to xmas and it will come in handy for the post xmas "I'm bored" comments

Right, better get back to these surveys!
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 15th Dec 19, 7:33 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Good Morning!

Lots going on over the last few days, getting us ready for the fella in the red suit to arrive. Last night was spent wrapping gifts ready to be distributed this week as I refuse to be rushing around at the last minute.

OH and I had a money meeting this week and talked about our aims for the year ahead. We made the decision to slightly OP our mortgage using savings to use up some of our 10% allowance for 2019 (as it resets every January). We have OP'd 1341.66 bringing our mortgage down to £51,746.15 as of this morning. The amount will go up slightly as the remainder of Dec's interest is added, but it's all going in the right direction.

So, in terms of savings, we are now down to £7300, with £700 of cheques to cash once my personal details have been changed with said bank. We then have a plan to be back at £10k emergency fund by 31/03/2020.

Other aims for 2020 are;

1. Continue to OP mortgage up to 10% allowance.

2. Save an additional £166.66 p/m into the emergency fund to keep it moving over £10k. The aim is to get to £20k over the next 5 years.

3. Save £600 into my pension/set up Lifetime ISA (as I am currently a SAHM, but want to make a conscious effort to put something away for long term savings).

4. Cash flow home improvements (redecoration mainly), and then we will take a view at the end of 2020 as to whether that is the time for us to be looking to move.

Lots to be cracking on with
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 17th Dec 19, 2:40 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Good afternoon,

Just updating before the school run

So things have been ticking along in terms of my goals;

1. I sold an old bed frame for £30, that cash went towards DD1 room redecoration pot. Current balance of cash envelope is £34.

2. January 2020 budget has been set and I currently have a shortfall of £49.15 that I need to make up before starting on working towards my savings goals for the month. I have already started working on making up this shortfall

3. I have sold 2 items on the bay of e today and have 3 items that I have photographed ready to be uploaded tonight. The 2 sold items will be posted first thing tomorrow.

4. My personal details have been updated with 1 bank, so I will cash the cheques I have on Thursday. Once cashed, the money will go towards emergency fund replenishment.

5. I have chased a lady that asked to purchase an item on a local selling site - I'll give her until tomorrow and if radio silence continues, will re-list.

6. Applied for a market research group for Jan 2020 - fingers crossed I get it
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 24th Dec 19, 6:04 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Good Morning!

DD2 doesn't seem to be sleeping past 5am at the minute, so I thought I would update here while having a nice cup of tea

Over the last week;

- OH has accepted a new job which will start in the new year. This means we will be able to throw a bit more at our goals over the coming months

- Current budget is working, and the shortfall is now down to £20.69.

- All xmas gifts have been sent out - except one which arrived yesterday, and will be dropped off today.

- I've had a couple of ebay sales, one of which needs to be posted
    today before the post office shuts for xmas.

- 2020 goals have been finalised

Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful xmas break
    • greent
    • By greent 26th Dec 19, 9:35 PM
    • 8,330 Posts
    • 84,576 Thanks
    greent

Over the last week;

- OH has accepted a new job which will start in the new year. This means we will be able to throw a bit more at our goals over the coming months

- Current budget is working, and the shortfall is now down to £20.69.
    Originally posted by Needhelpsaving
    Fab stuff!!!

Hope you had a lovely Christmas! x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £400/5K
    Net sales 2020 £7/£500 Decluttering: 250/2020
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 27th Dec 19, 7:53 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Thanks for stopping by greent - we hope you had a lovely xmas too

We had a great xmas here - slight hiccup involving family members, but what can you do? That's people for you

The girls had a lovely mix of toys and useful stuff - they usually get overwhelmed if there is too much choice, but this year they had some toys, new clothes, vouchers for cinema/zoo (may favourite ) and some money which will be going off to the bank this morning.

I have done some sale shopping - all strategic. I have bought DD1 the wallpaper she was looking at for her room makeover at over 50% off. She is only having 1 wall done in the paper, but I wasn't willing to pay £20 a roll. I also had a list of birthdays/xmas ideas for family and have bought some pj sets and bath sets in the sales to be used as gifts throughout the year. All budgeted and I've stayed within budget I had set

Today's jobs -

1. Pay money into bank and distribute to various accounts as needed. DONE

2. Send ID to Premium Bonds people - I bought them as my workplace pension people will only accept a set monthly DD, as I'm not in work at the moment (SAHM), I may have some months where I am able to contribute more than others, so I've decided that at the minute PB's, are the best place to stop me dipping into the money.

3. Go food shopping - I didn't participate in the pre-xmas food buying madness, I bought what we needed for a week and that was it. So I will need to get some shopping today. Budget is £40. DONE - £46

Have a fab day whatever you're up to
    Last edited by Needhelpsaving; 28-12-2019 at 6:48 AM.
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 28th Dec 19, 8:07 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Good Morning!

I've been inspired by Earth Girl to publish my 2020 goals.

Last year was pretty much taken up by making sure we had paid for the wedding with no loans. We did use some money from savings, but there is a plan to replenish this by end of Feb 2020.

2020 Goals

Family
    1. Create a jar of Family Activity Ideas
    2. Take at least 1 idea per week and complete as a family

Financial
    1. Pay down mortgage as much as possible
    2. Save £166.66 p/m into Emergency Savings
    3. Save £50 p/m towards retirement (currently going into Premium Bonds).

Home
    1. Declutter by selling/donating/binning items (Items to be binned are broken/unsafe bits).
    2. Redecorate whole house.

Personal Development & Work
    1. Complete at least 1 hour of work at home each day to contribute to household income.
    2. Read 12 books

Fitness
    1. I have set specific strength and cardio goals which will be reviewed and amended quarterly.
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 29th Dec 19, 9:53 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    2020 Goals - January Progress Tracker
    I know it's not yet January, but as soon as we set our goals for the year ahead, we wanted to get to work, no point in waiting for the calendar to change

Family
    1. Create a jar of Family Activity Ideas
    2. Take at least 1 idea per week and complete as a family - DONE - DD1 and OH going to cinema to watch Frozen 2

Financial
    1. Pay down mortgage as much as possible
    2. Save £166.66 p/m into Emergency Savings - Currently at £13.16/£166.66
    3. Save £50 p/m towards retirement (currently going into Premium Bonds). DONE - Need to send ID docs across today

Home
    1. Declutter by selling/donating/binning items (Items to be binned are broken/unsafe bits). 20 bits listed on Ebay and some other items listed on local selling group - 3 have bids on
    Decluttering has continued today, mainly xmas gift packaging. I've listed 2 more bundles of items online for sale and have cleaned a large item to be listed today too.

2. Redecorate whole house.

Personal Development & Work
    1. Complete at least 1 hour of work at home each day to contribute to household income. Completed: 1/31 Hours
    2. Read 12 books

Fitness
    1. I have set specific strength and cardio goals which will be reviewed and amended quarterly.
    Last edited by Needhelpsaving; 29-12-2019 at 8:16 PM.
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 29th Dec 19, 4:58 PM
    • 10,143 Posts
    • 21,080 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Some great goals there and great achievements too. Happy New Year!
    During 2020: Target 1) £25,121 to be repaid in 2020 (0%) Now down to £24,703 Target 2) repay £1450 off (OP £102.51) mortgage now 144872 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 31st Dec 19, 9:42 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Some great goals there and great achievements too. Happy New Year!
    Originally posted by savingholmes
    Happy New Year to you too SH!

• shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 31st Dec 19, 9:53 AM
    • 3,234 Posts
    • 16,695 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    You are shaming me into listing our ebay clothes mountain!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £76,704.80......Reduction: £59,295.71... in 58 months!
    MFiT-T5 #8 - 37.28% of £23,000
    Save 12k in 2020 - £0 // £24,000 (0.00%) & 2020 - Banish the Clutter - 15 // 366 days (4.10%)
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 31st Dec 19, 6:41 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    You are shaming me into listing our ebay clothes mountain!
    Originally posted by shangaijimmy

So the last 24 hours has been spent working towards 2020 goals;

1. 4 things sold on Ebay, 2 things posted, 1 has just been paid for so will go out on Thursday and one buyer (who bought a large piece of furniture) has just cancelled because they have apparently had a ding dong with their wife about it ... he actually wrote that on his email! People are funny.

2. I sold a large children's toy yesterday on a local selling site. It was not being played with ... other than to empty the pieces onto the floor as a parental assault course . It was an older piece and 'loved' so I sold it for £10. The girls have had the money (split equally) and amazingly, after 36 hours, neither of them has noticed it's gone!

3. I have sold a bundle on a local selling site today, it has been purchased by someone who offered to pay postage instead of collecting, so that will also go out on Thursday now it has been paid for

4. All packaging for sales has come from the stash I collected before xmas. I saved any incoming parcel bags and boxes, and have re-used them for these sales.

5. Aside from the Ebaying, I have spent the day baking from stores. 4 pasties and 36 mince pies later, I'm done

The rest of January spends will be food, a couple of play dates for DD's, 2 family birthdays and a quick rummage in the CS half price sale ... apparently they had so many post xmas donations, they shut for 2 days to sort it all out!

Anyway, have a wonderful New Year wherever you are
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,542Posts Today

7,266Users online

Martin's Twitter