Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sirloyneofcowes
    • By sirloyneofcowes 12th Feb 19, 6:53 PM
    • 56Posts
    • 95Thanks
    sirloyneofcowes
    Smart Meters mandatory on new fixed term deals
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:53 PM
    Smart Meters mandatory on new fixed term deals 12th Feb 19 at 6:53 PM
    Has anyone else noticed that suppliers are making Smart Meters mandatory for some of the better energy fixing deals? I've just checked Ts and Cs on a few and frequently see something along the lines of:

By switching to this tariff you are agreeing to be contacted by xyz company and where eligible have a smart meter installed for each fuel supply.

PS: With the utmost respect to anyone commenting please don't spam me with Bulb or Octopus referral deals.
    Known Debt at time of the Great Escape - 5,467.85
    Current Debt (not including standard bills) - 0
    DFB Christmas club number: #158
    Is 100% Great Escape Known Debt Free
Page 7
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Smart Meters
    It does not say it's mandatory but, as I have commented on the other thread about Eon and 'smart meters' (sic) Eon goes to great lengths to con its users into believing that it is compulsory.
    Originally posted by A. Badger

Hello A. Badger and as promised in the thread below, I sent your comments about our smart meter communications to those responsible here at E.ON this morning. I've also followed it up this afternoon via a discussion with the management team for this area.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6072648

Thank you for the feedback and I'll let you know about any developments.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    E.ON Smart Meters
    E.ON were a joke with my mother's supply. They insisted on swapping an Economy 10 meter for a smart meter upon threat of a swinging increase via a standard tariff if the existing meter was not changed (something like +70% I recall), but then they left it until they came out for a pre-install survey to tell us there was no adequate mobile phone signal in the area and the new meter would not be a smart meter. I asked why change it then? We no longer support the tariff on that meter they said. But you will support Economy 7 or Economy 10 on a new meter which is not a smart meter? Yes. But the Economy 10 on the new meter will cost about 35% more, and the Economy 7 about 25% more than existing? Yes.
    Originally posted by peterbaker
    Not yet, I am not sure the new (not smart) meter is in yet. E.ON Chief Executive Office complaints were insistent on a deadline and in fact I think have already increased the charges by around +70% whilst I have been complaining. THey would not budge an inch and I found them like robots with no guilt whatever for sticking it to a 90 year old who has been 100% loyal to the same company for over 60 years in the same house. So I said well obviously my only question to you now is what's my best move to be able to move to a competitor and get a much better deal. They told me that I'd need to change the meter in order to get the widest selection of alternative deals.

I can't use the words here that I reserve for that type of customer service.
    Originally posted by peterbaker

Hello peterbaker and I'm sorry we weren't able to fit a smart meter for your mother.

There are certain circumstances where we're not yet able to fit smart meters. The strength of the mobile phone signal is particularly important. I suspect a remote check shows your mother's area as having a strong enough signal yet, once the technician was on site, they found local circumstances have watered it down to the extent it's not sufficiently strong enough for smart meters. We're working to find a solution for these issues.

As you say, we no longer support the old three-rate Economy 10 meters similar to the one your mother has. I put some information about this on a separate post from you on another thread at the link below.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76380191#post76380191

If we leave your mother with the old meter, we'll need to put her on the higher tariff you mention. As in the above link, changing the meter will mean she'll have more options including making it easier to switch supplier.

Sorry again we had to abort the smart meter installation peterbaker.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    E.ON Smart Meters
    Anybody had this e-mail/text message off eon

Hi, it s E.ON. As part of your energy tariff you agreed to have smart meters fitted. We're fitting the latest SMETS2 smart meters and have appointments Mon to Sat, AM (8am-12pm) or PM (12pm-4pm). Please reply with the best day and time for you e.g. Monday PM.
    Originally posted by Durham andrew

Hello Durham andrew and may I ask what tariff you're on?

If it's one of our Fix Online range, you might be interested in my reply to SeeMe earlier today (post #120). With these tariffs you only agree to be contacted about smart meters as outlined in section 11.1 of the T&Cs. If you wish, you can turn down these offers and stay on the same tariff.

Should you want to go ahead and arrange for a smart meter to be fitted, please reply to the email/text and we'll be happy to arrange an appointment convenient to you. There's no charge to fit smart meters. If you don't want to go ahead please ignore the email/text.

Thanks Durham andrew.

Malc
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 10th Dec 19, 5:19 PM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 6,804 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Hello A. Badger and as promised in the thread below, I sent your comments about our smart meter communications to those responsible here at E.ON this morning. I've also followed it up this afternoon via a discussion with the management team for this area.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6072648

Thank you for the feedback and I'll let you know about any developments.

Malc
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    Well I'm afraid Eon are taking absolutely no notice of your representations.

Not five minutes ago I received an email from Eon headed:
    'E.ON
    Reminder:
    You need to have your
    meters changed,

As part of your current energy tariff, you agreed to have smart meters installed. We᾿re ready to come and install your smart meters for free – all you need to do is tell us when is best for you.'

That last bit is a blatant lie, incidentally. I have agreed no such thing.

What does it take to make Eon behave properly?
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 10th Dec 19, 7:12 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Gerry1
    What does it take to make Eon behave properly?
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    Swift and effective action from Ofgem !

Oh, wait...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,533Posts Today

6,842Users online

Martin's Twitter