Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sirloyneofcowes
    • By sirloyneofcowes 12th Feb 19, 6:53 PM
    • 56Posts
    • 95Thanks
    sirloyneofcowes
    Smart Meters mandatory on new fixed term deals
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:53 PM
    Smart Meters mandatory on new fixed term deals 12th Feb 19 at 6:53 PM
    Has anyone else noticed that suppliers are making Smart Meters mandatory for some of the better energy fixing deals? I've just checked Ts and Cs on a few and frequently see something along the lines of:

By switching to this tariff you are agreeing to be contacted by xyz company and where eligible have a smart meter installed for each fuel supply.

PS: With the utmost respect to anyone commenting please don't spam me with Bulb or Octopus referral deals.
    Known Debt at time of the Great Escape - £5,467.85
    Current Debt (not including standard bills) - £0
    DFB Christmas club number: #158
    Is 100% Great Escape Known Debt Free
Page 2
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 14th Feb 19, 3:37 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    Takmon
    Contacted them using both their online webchat and on the phone to check if what I was reading was correct and got the same answer both times: from now on in if you want to be a customer of Eon and not pay their standard rate then installation of a smart meter is mandatoryÖabsolute joke.
    Originally posted by Gaikokujin
    How is it a joke? I really can't what all the fuss is about; all meters will eventually get replaced by smart meters at the end of their life so what's wrong with having it done sooner?

Many meters have been changed in the past and they will have almost certainly replaced it each time with a more modern one. The only reason people are objecting now is because they have been told they have a choice and have an illogical resistance to change.
    • Gaikokujin
    • By Gaikokujin 14th Feb 19, 3:51 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Gaikokujin
    How is it a joke? I really can't what all the fuss is about; all meters will eventually get replaced by smart meters at the end of their life so what's wrong with having it done sooner?

Many meters have been changed in the past and they will have almost certainly replaced it each time with a more modern one. The only reason people are objecting now is because they have been told they have a choice and have an illogical resistance to change.
    Originally posted by Takmon
    It's a joke because in the case of Eon where they state that you Ďmustí have a smart meter installed it also says that if for some reason that can't happen (i.e. 'technical' reasons) then you will still remain on that tariff. Can't see the difference between that situation and someone just doesn't want one installed? They obviously make naff all difference to both the supply of the fuel and their systems so why force them onto people who donít see the need for them?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Feb 19, 3:53 PM
    • 67,720 Posts
    • 396,384 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I have ignored every phone call, every text, every letter from them. They are perpetually, almost daily, mithering me by some medium.

Thing is, I have a a few issues with it.

1/ I believe it makes it trickier to change suppliers as that often means ANOTHER bl00dy meter to be fitted....
    2/ I don't really understand it, don't want it, can't see any benefit in it for me, so to speak.
    3/ I've got my house on the market and I'd rather leave it to any new owners to make their choices, rather than be annoyed at mine.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 14th Feb 19, 4:04 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    Takmon
    It's a joke because in the case of Eon where they state that you Ďmustí have a smart meter installed it also says that if for some reason that can't happen (i.e. 'technical' reasons) then you will still remain on that tariff. Can't see the difference between that situation and someone just doesn't want one installed? They obviously make naff all difference to both the supply of the fuel and their systems so why force them onto people who donít see the need for them?
    Well they obviously want to install smart meters in as many homes as possible but are being fair by not penalising people who can't have one installed.

A person who doesn't understand smart meters and doesn't "see the need for them" isn't really qualified to decide if they should be installed or not.
    You just need to look at the amount of threads on here from people who don't understand how energy billing works and get confused when they don't supply readings then suddenly get a big bill. If every home had a smart meter that automatically sent readings to their supplier then that would end estimated billing and everyone would have accurate bills and pay the right amount. This would solve the vast majority of people's problems who complain about getting an unexpected bill. So their is certainly a need for smart meters.

Now their have obviously been issues with the roll out and problems that should have been solved before they started. But that doesn't mean that they should scrap the project. Smart meters will eventually be the standard and nothing will stop that.
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 14th Feb 19, 4:06 PM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    Contacted them using both their online webchat and on the phone to check if what I was reading was correct and got the same answer both times: from now on in if you want to be a customer of Eon and not pay their standard rate then installation of a smart meter is mandatoryÖabsolute joke.
    No idea if it's competitive for you but Eon have a 2 year fixed tariff which doesn't need smart meters as part of the MSE Big Winter Energy Switch currently running
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 14th Feb 19, 4:09 PM
    • 4,353 Posts
    • 2,108 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    They are perpetually mithering me by some medium.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Had to look that one up
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • Gaikokujin
    • By Gaikokujin 14th Feb 19, 4:42 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Gaikokujin
    Well they obviously want to install smart meters in as many homes as possible but are being fair by not penalising people who can't have one installed.

A person who doesn't understand smart meters and doesn't "see the need for them" isn't really qualified to decide if they should be installed or not.
    You just need to look at the amount of threads on here from people who don't understand how energy billing works and get confused when they don't supply readings then suddenly get a big bill. If every home had a smart meter that automatically sent readings to their supplier then that would end estimated billing and everyone would have accurate bills and pay the right amount. This would solve the vast majority of people's problems who complain about getting an unexpected bill. So their is certainly a need for smart meters.

Now their have obviously been issues with the roll out and problems that should have been solved before they started. But that doesn't mean that they should scrap the project. Smart meters will eventually be the standard and nothing will stop that.
    Nice bit of mansplaining there to start off. I'll bite though...

I can only speak from my own perspective and in that sense I cannot see the need for having them installed in my home. I already provide monthly meter readings - and have done for years with a host of different suppliers - so the whole estimated bills thing hasnít ever affected me. Iím not in the habit of leaving electrical devices and the like switched on when we're off on holiday or overnight (even the TV goes off at the wall every evening when we go to bed) and having a little screen telling me exactly how much energy my kettle uses when I switch it on isn't going to stop me making a cup of tea when I want one.

I appreciate that not everyone is the same and there will be some people for whom a smart meter is the greatest thing since sliced bread and has saved them a small fortune. But in my own case I genuinely donít see that I would get a benefit, and I resent the fact that by exercising my right to opt out of having one installed I am being penalised and my market choice is being restricted by certain firms forcing a 'one size fits all' solution onto everyone.
    • Gaikokujin
    • By Gaikokujin 14th Feb 19, 4:43 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Gaikokujin
    No idea if it's competitive for you but Eon have a 2 year fixed tariff which doesn't need smart meters as part of the MSE Big Winter Energy Switch currently running
    Originally posted by gt94sss2
    Thanks for the heads up. I did sign up for the MSE energy club thing last year but as we were still within the period where an exit fee could be charged havenít looked at it in a while. Would be interesting if Eon are offering a tariff on there without the smart meter caveat though, given what Iíve been told by more than one of their employees todayÖ
    • simmotech
    • By simmotech 14th Feb 19, 4:53 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    simmotech
    How do you know it doesn't require smart meters?
    Does it specifically say that? If not, read the T&Cs first to be sure!
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 14th Feb 19, 5:05 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    Takmon
    Nice bit of mansplaining there to start off. I'll bite though...
    By the way the "person who doesn't understand smart meters" is just a generic person and wasn't aimed at you specifically.

I can only speak from my own perspective and in that sense I cannot see the need for having them installed in my home. I already provide monthly meter readings - and have done for years with a host of different suppliers - so the whole estimated bills thing hasnít ever affected me. Iím not in the habit of leaving electrical devices and the like switched on when we're off on holiday or overnight (even the TV goes off at the wall every evening when we go to bed) and having a little screen telling me exactly how much energy my kettle uses when I switch it on isn't going to stop me making a cup of tea when I want one.

I appreciate that not everyone is the same and there will be some people for whom a smart meter is the greatest thing since sliced bread and has saved them a small fortune. But in my own case I genuinely donít see that I would get a benefit, and I resent the fact that by exercising my right to opt out of having one installed I am being penalised and my market choice is being restricted by certain firms forcing a 'one size fits all' solution onto everyone.
    But it really is a once size fits all solution because by having one it wouldn't stop you from doing all the things you currently do with the existing meter but has the benefit of additional features as well.
    At the end of the day the meter belongs to the energy company so i don't see why people were given the right to refuse in the first place. They really should have instead allowed the energy companies to make them mandatory but they had to fit them at a time convenient for the person who lives there by offering an evening or weekend appointment if required.
    If they did that the it would solve the only problem with a meter change and that is inconveniencing the occupier.
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 14th Feb 19, 5:21 PM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    Thanks for the heads up. I did sign up for the MSE energy club thing last year but as we were still within the period where an exit fee could be charged havenít looked at it in a while. Would be interesting if Eon are offering a tariff on there without the smart meter caveat though, given what Iíve been told by more than one of their employees todayÖ
    If you are on an Eon tariff already, Eon don't charge exit fees for moving to another tariff with them

How do you know it doesn't require smart meters?
    Does it specifically say that? If not, read the T&Cs first to be sure!
    Originally posted by simmotech
    It's been confirmed by Eon on this board - see here
    • Uxb1
    • By Uxb1 14th Feb 19, 10:04 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    Uxb1
    The only reason people are objecting now is because they have been told they have a choice and have an illogical resistance to change.
    I would not bother wasting your time on the moaners
    We got the same cr*p when bank cashpoint cards came in the late 1970's
    Wails and anguish about how will we cope with pin numbers plus the usual drivel about how we were all being "forced" to use them and how on earth would we manage no longer having to write cheques to cash and present them at the tellers' window in the bank to get our cash.
    In 10 years time no one will care.....
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 14th Feb 19, 11:11 PM
    • 4,888 Posts
    • 3,367 Thanks
    Houbara
    By the way the "person who doesn't understand smart meters" is just a generic person and wasn't aimed at you specifically.

But it really is a once size fits all solution because by having one it wouldn't stop you from doing all the things you currently do with the existing meter but has the benefit of additional features as well.
    At the end of the day the meter belongs to the energy company so i don't see why people were given the right to refuse in the first place. They really should have instead allowed the energy companies to make them mandatory but they had to fit them at a time convenient for the person who lives there by offering an evening or weekend appointment if required.
    If they did that the it would solve the only problem with a meter change and that is inconveniencing the occupier.
    The odd thing is that when they were first introduced, the Labour party were in power, and Ed Miliband was the Energy Minister at the time, who made the fitting of smart meter s mandatory as virtually every other country in Europe and the World had done where they were introduced.
    Amazing that a so called right wing Tory government decided to give a mostly uncaring public the choice of what kind of meter, which does nt belong to them, is fitted in their properties when they have never had that right since the birth of metered energy.
    As a bit of a sop to the public they also added the con that the meters would save them energy which was obviously a lie..They may "educate " the public to what exactly is a kwh but so could a public awareness campaign on how much money each appliance cost to run
    Smart meters benefit the suppliers and enable them to run their businesses much better and more efficiently and so offer cheaper prices.That is how all businesses work
    Last edited by Houbara; 15-02-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    • Gaikokujin
    • By Gaikokujin 15th Feb 19, 12:24 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Gaikokujin
    I would not bother wasting your time on the moaners
    We got the same cr*p when bank cashpoint cards came in the late 1970's
    Wails and anguish about how will we cope with pin numbers plus the usual drivel about how we were all being "forced" to use them and how on earth would we manage no longer having to write cheques to cash and present them at the tellers' window in the bank to get our cash.
    In 10 years time no one will care.....
    Originally posted by Uxb1
    Instead of resorting to petty insults perhaps try and persuade me why you think it is a good idea that market choice for consumers is being reduced by certain energy companies because they choose not to have ineffective technology forced onto them. Because so far no-one in this thread has done that.

Me choosing not to have a smart meter installed has absolutely zero effect on anyone else getting one and makes no difference to the cost of the fuel being supplied to me or anyone else either. Your bills are not going to rise because of it and nor will anyone elseís.

And the fact that Eon are still Ďsecretlyí offering tariffs that donít require the installation of a smart meter Ė so long as youíre part of a club like the MSE energy one - just proves it makes absolutely no difference to their own systems and supply. So why force it on to customers?
    • simmotech
    • By simmotech 15th Feb 19, 3:56 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    simmotech
    If you are on an Eon tariff already, Eon don't charge exit fees for moving to another tariff with them

It's been confirmed by Eon on this board - see here
    Thanks.

I still feel a bit miffed by EDF & MSE not making it clear up front about mandatory meters but since the Eon deal would cost another £478/yr, I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face!

And since the meters being fitted are SMETS2, my main objection has gone so I am being fitted with a set on Tuesday.
    • hareng
    • By hareng 15th Feb 19, 8:01 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    hareng
    The only reason people are objecting now is because they have been told they have a choice and have an illogical resistance to change.

No its a serious inconvenience and loss of earnings of about 1 months salary.
    Some people work from home and use that space which must be gutted to enable fitment ie 1 month.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 15th Feb 19, 8:56 PM
    • 28,081 Posts
    • 13,924 Thanks
    Cardew
    With my present meters I can easily by-pass them to grow a little weed - for personal use of course; the local dealers are ripping us off.

Smart meters make such enterprising practices easier for the authorities to detect.

Edit added just in case the irony wasn't appreciated.
    Last edited by Cardew; 16-02-2019 at 9:19 AM.
    • marcadona
    • By marcadona 15th Feb 19, 9:04 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    marcadona
    With my present meters I can easily by-pass them to grow a little weed - for personal use of course; the local dealers are ripping us off.

Smart meters make such enterprising practices easier for the authorities to detect.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    I am really quite shocked at that statement. You are happy to admit you are doing something illegal. If I was the electricty board I would be right round your house. And I would be calling the police too. Personal use my !!!. There is a shop near me called hudrophonics and I know exactly what is it selling.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 15th Feb 19, 9:56 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    Suppliers are being pressurised by OFGEM with the threat of fines to install more smart meters. As no sensible person will have one installed they need to force them onto customers as a condition of the cheaper deals.
    Originally posted by molerat
    A person with sense is the one who does not come out with comments like this.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 16th Feb 19, 12:30 AM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    Takmon
    No its a serious inconvenience and loss of earnings of about 1 months salary.
    Some people work from home and use that space which must be gutted to enable fitment ie 1 month.
    Originally posted by hareng
    I'm intrigued; I can't see how it would take anywhere near a months work to fit a smart meter. You current meter must be visible to be able to have readings so how can anything need gutting to replace the meter?.

Even if that was true it's a very unique scenario specific to you and your meter will need replacing eventually due to the end of its life or maybe even a fault so you should get a backup plan for your work in place.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,816Posts Today

7,509Users online

Martin's Twitter