Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 20th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 460Posts
    • 2,812Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    the hedgehog's balloons.
    • 20th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    the hedgehog's balloons. 20th Aug 18 at 11:46 AM
    I've been a long time lurker but we received our mortgage update yesterday and it made me feel really low that it doesn't seem to be reducing that fast even though we've been paying it for 7 years. We paid a huge deposit on our current house but its always at the back of my mind that the bank still owns the upstairs part. We currently owe £82,000 with 18 years to go and in January next year our fixed rate mortgage will end. Unfortunately OH will be starting a new job next week and not sure if the bank will let us have another and will have to go on their standard rate as he won't have been in it long. We're a family of 4, OH works full time and also works occasionally as an adult tutor (a couple of weekends a year), both DD are still at school and I am at stay at home mum and full time carer for DD2 who is disabled. We also have a crazy but lovable dog. So my aim is to start small and go to the bank and arrange to OP by £50 a month until my bank of mum (interest free loan) is paid off. Where do I find the SOA page? I think by doing one of these will help.
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 26-08-2018 at 2:21 PM.
Page 2
    • greent
    • By greent 26th Aug 18, 9:25 AM
    • 8,360 Posts
    • 84,716 Thanks
    greent
    Are your user name and diary title Percy the Park Keeper stories? - they ring a bell....
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £450/5K
    Net sales 2020 £22.88/£500 Decluttering: 300/2020
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 26th Aug 18, 9:32 AM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 26,372 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    You've just used the French spelling Cross Rabbit

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 16% paid Overpayments 2020: 546.70 Emergency Fund: 73% Tittervating Pot: 104.47

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 26th Aug 18, 11:57 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Greent yes they are Percy the park keeper stories. I was trying to come up with a user name and DD2 was reading the cross rabbit and was giggling very loudly at his antics. DD1 always loved the hedgehog's balloons (correct spelling) when she was little and would hug herself when the hedgehog finally got his balloon. So whenever I come on here it makes me smile
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 26th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Fortune up till your post I felt a bit of a dibber for spelling it wrong and was going to start a new diary. However I've managed to change it.
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 26-08-2018 at 2:22 PM.
    • greent
    • By greent 26th Aug 18, 6:48 PM
    • 8,360 Posts
    • 84,716 Thanks
    greent
    My daughter loved 'Percy Parky' books (and videos) - very gentle stories
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 27th Aug 18, 3:14 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    So been and picked my in laws up from the station. My Fil has managed to not only go to the wrong hotel this weekend (had to walk 30 minutes to get to the right one),but got off the train with someone else's bag. It's just another chapter in the chronicles of mr cross rabbit senior. Been and utilised the allotment, harvested broccoli, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage. My dad and his second family are coming for tea. Must remember to put something in for me as I'm the only one who is a vegetarian and always forget when doing a big meal. Cake from oh leaving do on Friday so dinner for 8 hasn't cost much and hopefully there will be leftovers for sandwiches.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 28th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Set up over payment to come out every month
    Been to the bank to set up op as a standing order. Shuffled other savings to accommodate it reduced slush fund to £150 a month, car fund to £250 and upped payment to mum to £250. Bank of mum should be paid by Christmas next year which hopefully will mean we can overpay more. on other note doctor is sending me for blood tests to see if l'm pre menopausal
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 29th Aug 18, 8:46 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Can i pay more?
    Started looking at our finances last night to see if we can pay off more than just £50 a month. I've been reading lots of other diaries where people are paying phenomenal amounts off each month and I have to admit of feeling rather jealous. However I'm not sure it's possible at the moment as it would need th be paid consistently to make any difference. I think that will be the hardest part. I had thought about having a pot for change and add that each month but forgot I already have these set up for other things. 1, 2 and 5p are to pay for ice creams and other treats on holiday next year. 10 and 20p are been saved to put towards a biking holiday or Norway in 3 years time. 50p and £1 coins are saved to pay for the girls bus to school. £2 coins are swapped with my mum who collects them.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 30th Aug 18, 10:10 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Our fixed rate mortgage ends in late January. With this in mind I've decided to set my self a 4 month challenge to look at 4 different areas of our lives to see if we can save money.
    1) SEPTEMBER- Shopping mainly food and cleaning products. I've managed to reduce our food bill from a eye watering £600 a month to £500. We eat mainly an organic diet. Although we could alter this we feel very strongly about this and since we are not in debt (except bank of mum) and pay credit cards in full when we use them, I'm not prepared to alter it. However I do shop around and often it can be reduced and I know the times of reductions in our local supermarkets. The food bill is also high as I have to eat a gluten free diet and DD2 has to eat a high calorie diet (gets to eat lots lots of yummy cakes,biscuits and chocolate). So this month I'm going to look at the non organic food we buy and see if we can down brand. I know Aldeee does do some organic food as I've been going there for the last couple of weeks. Once I've gained abit more confidence with baking and cooking gluten free alternatives I think it will save me quite abit money. I also need to maximise the allotments and meal plan around whats up there which should reduce the bill further.
    2) October- Travel. We have two cars and the girls use public transport to get to and from school. Not sure how much we spend on travel as OH has just started his new job so need a month to see how much extra its costing us. Bus fares have gone up for DD1 as she is now 16 so not sure how much its going to cost us monthly at the moment.
    3) November- Mortgage. Start looking at getting a better mortgage deal.
    4) December- Holidays/ Entertainment/Birthdays. We love going away. We only holiday in the UK but we really do like to go away. Camping is out as its almost impossible with DD2 who has point blank refused to do it again. We are really lucky to know people who have places and pay mates rates, so often use them or the YHA.
    I think looking at these areas will help highlight where we could save money as well as looking at the obvious insurance renewasl etc. Anyway need to refocus on today as need to take DD1 and 2 to the opticians. DD1 is off into town to meet a friend, told her if she is eating in town she needs to pay for it out her own money. I used to give her money for food but since she's turned 16 I've stopped it as she needs to learn to budget her pocket money. DD2 has opted to go to her granma's tonight as we are going to the coast tomorrow with my mum and it means she'll get an extra hour in bed. Must remember to charge her chair tonight.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 30th Aug 18, 4:53 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Had to go back into town again as forgot to pay off the credit card but did it after I'd took DD2 to my mum's so no additional journey and used my residents parking permit so no parking fees. Found time to sit in the garden this pm to watch the butterflies on the buddleia. Currently dying an old duvet to make into a dog bed and DD1 white shorts which she was going to throw out (her granma bought them and she hates the colour) so they are been dyed her hogwarts house colour- green.
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 30-08-2018 at 5:01 PM.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 2nd Sep 18, 6:24 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Had a great day out on Friday at the coast but it was a long drive and preferred the other seaside town we visited last week. Saturday oh and I went to the allotment whilst DD2 went out with her PA. Harvested apples. Carrots, beetroots and a whole host of other stuff. Gave DD2 PA a huge carrier bag of stuff. Spent several hours making veggie lasagnas, etc with produce. DD1 and OH went out with junior rangers on a bat walk. Today we went to Liverpool to see the terracotta warriors and I'm looking forward to getting home as the train was delayed over 40 minutes.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 3rd Sep 18, 10:51 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    So I've tentatively started my daily jobs list which I tend to abandon when the kids are off school as I never seem to get anything done. Already compiled a meal plan this week using stuff from the cupboards, freezer and allotment. Read on one of the forms somewhere that they shop from their cupboards etc first and then make a shopping list to stop them buying stuff they already have. I'm always forgetting what I need and always end up with duplicating food.Hoping this will enable me save some extra money to put towards the OP. Sorted out sweet sunday codes and got 2 free tickets. Bread maker is on. Texted MIL about having DD2 whilst I go to doctors tomorrow and she has invited her to stop for tea which means we can Spend sometime with DD1. DD1 back to school tomorrow and DD2 back on Wednesday. Although I enjoy spending time with them I'm glad they are going back this week as every time we went out they bicker, it got that bad that I decided we would cut down how much we went out. Which is a shame as there was lots of things I would of liked to do with them. Need to ring school regarding DD2 as we've decided she needs to move schools. The day is just too long for her she is out the house from 8am and is not back till 5pm, she is constantly exhausted which has increased the amount of behavioural problems we are dealing with. Its got to the stage its effecting not only her mental health but mine also. So hopefully due to the nature of the reason for the move I'm hoping we won't have an uphill battle. Sorry for the ramble just needed to get it off my chest. Need to focus on the positives. Time to get on with rest of the jobs on the list hope you all have a good day.
    • greent
    • By greent 3rd Sep 18, 12:11 PM
    • 8,360 Posts
    • 84,716 Thanks
    greent
    All sounding very organised, cr! x
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 3rd Sep 18, 8:16 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Managed to get everything done on my list except i forgot to go to the train station to pick up a claim form for the delay yesterday. Been shopping with OH and managed to only spend £60 which for us is not alot. We've tried down branding several things, some have been a success and others will never darken our door again. We've managed to pay bank of mum an additional £280 which brings our final payment date to November 2019. Except for the squeaky cheese everything for tea was homegrown. T/C to DD2 school today to let them know we need to move her and they are going to look it what we need to do next. OH and I have agreed we need to cutback how much we are drinking as we've crept up to having a relaxing drink everyday. So we've decided to just have it at the weekend and special occasions. Wonder if watching bake off will fall into any of those. DD2 wants to do baking tomorrow so need to get up early to prepare the kitchen and dining room to make it as easy as possible. Potential for everywhere to be covered in flour.
    CR x
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 4th Sep 18, 10:28 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Motivation for today is pretty low, had a dreadful night sleep. DD2 wakes me every night round about the same time for the same things but generally I can get back to sleep but last night DD1 started talking very loudly in her sleep (this usually happens when she's stressed - starts 6th form today) not long after i got back into bed. So that put an end to sleep for several hours but I made the fatal mistake of going back to sleep about 6, so feel really tired. On a positive though I've decided in that time that I will attempt to make some reusable bags from the girls old t-shirts as mine are looking rough. The old ones can be used for bring produce from the allotment until they fall apart. Not alot on the list today, but soup already made using the glut of toms we had. Just need to pop to the allotment when DD2 goes to MIL to collect leeks to make leek and pot soup for me. I supposed to be going to my first WI meeting tonight but OH has alot of research he needs to do this week for his new job and I feel I should once again put what I want to do on hold to look after DD2 so he can do this, this is a regular thing in this household. My word I am living up to my username these days. Ok so the positive is ............. will get back to you on this one. Hope you have a good day.CR x
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 4th Sep 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 7,102 Thanks
    bexster1975
    Sorry about poor nights sleep. Hope DD gets on OK at sixth form.

Also hope you get to WI meeting this evening ( although will that involve missing bake off?!)

Bexster
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 4th Sep 18, 9:06 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    DD1 very tired. Didn't make it to WI as DD2 had a wobble about returning to school so needed lots of cuddles and reassurance that things will be ok. Cut my hair today using a tutorial off Pinterest it's very long with layers so even if I cocked it up you can't tell. Everything on the list completed so I'm happy. I off to Leicester tomorrow to support my gran whilst my auntie is away and until my dad arrives. Unfortunately I 'll spend more time in the car (up to 4 hours in total) than I will with her.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 6th Sep 18, 4:15 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Visited a very upset granma yesterday, her youngest has spat their dummy out and said they never want to speak to her again. So spent most of my visit reassuring her that she was right to point out to him that it is her house and was entitled to say who came and who doesn't and that she was been taken advantage of and a particular person was not entitled to help themselves out of her cupboards etc without asking. Makes a change to my dad been the black sheep of the family because he won't toe the family line. Today I've been to the allotment and harvested apples, pears, spinach (now in a spinach and feta cheese frittare/fritarter/frittatar? cold omelette) and beetroot( cooked and ready to go on pizza). Just made the salted caramel ice-cream recommended by bexster, snuck a spoonful before it went in the freezer OMG soooo nice. Been into town to pay off holiday (less than a month to go) and swap a old style tenner (found in an old pair of jeans) for a new one. Meet an 82 year old lady in there who didn't mind talking to someone who looked and probably smelt like stig of the dump (went after the allotment). Told me all her about it was her son's 50 th birthday and she wanted to get him a crisp £50 note and she'd been to several banks and they didn't have crisp £50 notes.Was the highlight of my day as she made me smile. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing I always get random strangers telling me stuff. Anyway managed to clean the dining room just got the rest of the house to do. Right off to walk the dog since its stopped raining and before DD2 gets home.
    CR x
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 6th Sep 18, 4:53 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 7,102 Thanks
    bexster1975
    It's better frozen

Bexster
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 7th Sep 18, 12:10 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Bexster trying very hard to resist going to the freezer and trying some, but promised DD1 we would treat ourselves on Sunday as OH and DD2 are away this weekend. Been rushing around since 6 this morning loading OH bike, DD2 Trike ( it connects to OH bike, he does all the work and she sits there like lady muck) and off roading wheelchair into the car along with all the other stuff they want to take with them. Still need to raid the cupboards and freezer for their food but will do that closer to the time and pack her bedding. OH had booked today off but his new boss had forgot and booked him on a course , so I'm meeting him at DD2 school with my loaded up car and they can go on to the YHA . The weather forecast is not looking great for tomorrow on the trails but Sunday looks better. Just need to support DD1 to pack as she is off camping in the local national park with junior ranges. So I get about 36 hours of no children or OH. Arranged for mum to come for a sleepover tomorrow. We're into week 2 of looking at how to shop smarter and so far it appears to making a significant difference. However I am aware that it is been heavily subsidized by already full cupboard and freezer so feel I'm not getting a proper picture of how things are. So far though I've been able to knock about £30 off my weekly shopping bill. I'm not going to get my hopes up that it will stay like that though, but it does show its possible.
    CR x
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 07-09-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,246Posts Today

8,795Users online

Martin's Twitter