Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 20th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 460Posts
    • 2,809Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    the hedgehog's balloons.
    • 20th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    the hedgehog's balloons. 20th Aug 18 at 11:46 AM
    I've been a long time lurker but we received our mortgage update yesterday and it made me feel really low that it doesn't seem to be reducing that fast even though we've been paying it for 7 years. We paid a huge deposit on our current house but its always at the back of my mind that the bank still owns the upstairs part. We currently owe £82,000 with 18 years to go and in January next year our fixed rate mortgage will end. Unfortunately OH will be starting a new job next week and not sure if the bank will let us have another and will have to go on their standard rate as he won't have been in it long. We're a family of 4, OH works full time and also works occasionally as an adult tutor (a couple of weekends a year), both DD are still at school and I am at stay at home mum and full time carer for DD2 who is disabled. We also have a crazy but lovable dog. So my aim is to start small and go to the bank and arrange to OP by £50 a month until my bank of mum (interest free loan) is paid off. Where do I find the SOA page? I think by doing one of these will help.
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 26-08-2018 at 2:21 PM.
Page 1
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 20th Aug 18, 12:14 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 7,101 Thanks
    bexster1975
    • 20th Aug 18, 12:14 PM
    • 20th Aug 18, 12:14 PM
    Hello

I don't mean to be rude, but why might the bank not let you fix again? Will your husband be earning much less? When I remortgaged with my own bank ( several times) they didn't even ask what I was earning. When I applied to another bank for a mortgage, they wanted to know what I earnt. I'm not sure how long you have been in a new job is very important. Certainly I've never found it to be.

Good luck

Bexster
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 20th Aug 18, 1:41 PM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    zcrat41
    • 20th Aug 18, 1:41 PM
    • 20th Aug 18, 1:41 PM
    Hello and welcome.
    I'd second what the above poster said. I just logged into my online mortgage account and did it all online with them. This was 4 years ago mind!
    Good luck on your journey,
    ZC
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 20th Aug 18, 1:58 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    • 20th Aug 18, 1:58 PM
    thanks
    • 20th Aug 18, 1:58 PM
    thanks, he is taking a paycut although its not massive its significant enough, but at least he will hopefully be happier. Our last mortgage they used our tax credits in their calculations which I think is a crazy way of doing business but it did mean we could get a good mortgage deal.Hopefully we'll get another deal, i suppose it depends on the lender. Currently combining house work with DS2 physio. I'm out tonight with a friend, we're planning on going to see mama mia 2, it must be almost 2 months since I last saw her so lots of catching up to do. Will be paying full price but the last time we went on small furry animal night we spent 30 minutes circling the car park and in the end we went home. Tonight we're going to the one near us which means if the car park is full we can park on one of the nearby streets.
    • julicorn
    • By julicorn 20th Aug 18, 4:43 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 4,503 Thanks
    julicorn
    • 20th Aug 18, 4:43 PM
    • 20th Aug 18, 4:43 PM
    Happy New diary! And I third what's been said above, from what I've heard from friends/ colleagues / relatives, it seems like banks don't tend to ask those sort of questions (or credit checks) for mortgage retention deals, so sounds like you should be ok if you're staying with your current lender
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Current: £148,780
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 20th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    • 16,484 Posts
    • 19,823 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 20th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    • 20th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    Most companies will just let you remortgage onto another fix or tracker without asking any questions about current earnings. As said usually done online in a few clicks It's only if you switch that partners lower new salary might be an issue
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 21st Aug 18, 6:36 AM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 7,101 Thanks
    bexster1975
    • 21st Aug 18, 6:36 AM
    • 21st Aug 18, 6:36 AM
    I'm sorry to hear of your small furry animal night issues. Friends and I routinely go to the cinema on a Wednesday to our local cinema, and never have the issues you describe.

Good luck with remortgage when it comes. Even a fix with your current provider will likely be better than SVR

No idea of you DH situation, but agree that less money, more happiness is the best way to go.

Bexster
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 21st Aug 18, 8:35 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    • 21st Aug 18, 8:35 AM
    • 21st Aug 18, 8:35 AM
    How expensive is the cinema these days! It's a wonder I could watch it after having my eyes ripped out. Beater Parking definitely easier at my local cinema compared to hers so next job is to make a small investment in comparing insurance etc and gain access to
    small furry animal paying half. We're off to the coast today .
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 21st Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 7,101 Thanks
    bexster1975
    • 21st Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    • 21st Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    Have a great day. I did a 1 day uk travel insurance for £1.29! Also two for one small furry animal meals as part of the reward. Sunday to Thursday at loads of places.

Bexster
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Aug 18, 9:41 PM
    • 68,467 Posts
    • 312,795 Thanks
    beanielou
    Another vote for a new fix with your current lender.
    I did mine on line~~easy peasy lemon sqeezy
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 14 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 21st Aug 18, 10:43 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    thanks everyone for your reassurance on the mortgage front
    Had a really nice day at the coast. DD2 really enjoyed whizzing about the promenade in her electric chair. Gone are the days when my two wanted to be on the beach and build sand cities. So we walked lots and enjoyed the sea breeze. Shared the cost of the day with mum so low spends all round. Registered to become a blood donor which is part of my goal to get out more although this maybe a bit extreme
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 22nd Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Been to town early to drop off the dvd we had hired from the library (saved us a fortune and space, as we only buy dvd's for birthdays and christmas now). Wanted to set up a direct debit to start over paying the mortgage and forgot it doesn't open on a Wednesday till 930 am and I had to get back asap as DD2 is going with her grandad to visit her great granma. Had a good chunter to myself and then remembered years ago I'd set up OP link to my account so used that instead. So that is my first OP done and will go back on Friday to set up the direct debit. DD2 decided she wanted to her great granma some sweets so Sainbugs had reduced their price for the family bags of sweets with the sweet Sunday promotion on. Got enough to cover 2 tickets and DD2 CEA card will cover another ticket so will only have to buy one.Will uses these so we can go to the pictures as a family. Waiting for water butt to arrive and then me and DD1 are out for a bike ride instead of our usual run. We've been doing the couch to 5k nhs podcast and managed to get to week 6 but over the past 2 weeks I've developed shin splints. I stretch lots before and after and believe me i am not running fast. I've come to the conclusion its because I'm fat. Also on my quest to end my isolation I've contacted my local WI about joining.
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 22-08-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 22nd Aug 18, 5:56 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    ice cream and GCSE's
    Brexster i took the plunge and paid for travel insurance through the small furry animal site and for £1.01 I now get 2 for 1 cinema tickets and half price meals.Highlight of my day was seeing a stoat/weasel carrying its lunch up a grass verge backwards. Not sure which it was though as didn't see its tail. Worse thing about my day was that the dog decided she would like to smell of Eau De dead mole parfum and rubbed plently on her neck. DD1 asked me to buy her some ice cream ready for tomorrow as its GCSE results tomorrow. Her granma usually makes it but she's not quite mastered salted caramel so a trip to the supermarket resulted in me been a number of pounds lighter. I'm not sure whose more stressed her or her dad. As someone who did terrible in her GCSE's(my parents decided to spilt up just before i did mine) I realised the world wouldn't end and went back to college and passed them all but maths (took me a further 3 attempts). Anyway fingers crossed for all those awaiting results
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 22-08-2018 at 6:05 PM.
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 22nd Aug 18, 8:58 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 7,101 Thanks
    bexster1975
    Well done on insurance! Have just returned from watching Christopher Robin for £4.40 each!

Salted caramel ice cream. 300ml double cream, 1 can of carnation caramel, pinch of salt. Mix. Freeze. Salted caramel ice cream. A nigella recipe and I think amounts are correct.

Sorry about the dog

Bexster
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 23rd Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    gin o'clock
    Thanks bexster for the recipe will give it a go. DD1 got her GCSE results today and she did far better than anybody expected including herself, so this is a short post as its gin o'clock
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 23rd Aug 18, 9:11 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 26,367 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hello Cross Rabbit (love your user name).

Thank you for you kind comments about my stories. Thought I'd pop over to your diary and return the compliment.

I'm doing C25K at the moment - Week 5's 20 minute run is planned for tomorrow I have had shin splints in the past but not this time and I think it's because I'm running with the middle part of my foot hitting the ground rather than my heel or my toe. Do you have a good pair of trainers? It really makes a difference.

I've been a member of the WI for several years now and I love it. Make sure you visit a few in your area though as they can differ enormously. I checked out three before making a decision on which to join. Most let you attend about three times before asking you to join. The WI has opened up so many opportunities for me. It introduced me to creative writing, helped me bake and ice my first ever Christmas cake and got me an invitation to a garden party at Buckingham Palace. I'm sure you'll love it and it's not too costly either.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 16% paid Overpayments 2020: 546.70 Emergency Fund: 73% Tittervating Pot: 104.47

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 24th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    emotional day
    Lots of people congratulated us on DD1 results and said we must be very proud. To be honest I was more proud of the fact that she reined in her joy when she saw her friend was upset with her own results. OH leaves his job today, so took DD2 to the BBQ to say goodbye to a few people. We've been very lucky as they have supported us as a family through some very difficult times and also some wonderful times. Its is an end of an era. We only stayed for half an hour as DD2 legs started to hurt and she was really tired. Thanks FORTUNE SMILES for the advice on the WI, my friend has invited me to go to hers,but its in another town. However after reading what you did I will try the one in my home town and try hers also. I did love your stories especially the knitting one and forwarded the web address to my friend. I think I need new trainers as that could help prevent the shin splints. Good luck with your run fortune. Nothing on the MSE front today other than OH has been given lots of beer, chocolate and biscuits as leaving presents so saves me having to buy any for a while. New water butt has arrived just needs fitting.
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 24-08-2018 at 1:38 PM.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 25th Aug 18, 5:57 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Just realised I can't spell and the title of my diary should be the hedgehog's balloons. Does anyone know how I can change it?
    • greent
    • By greent 25th Aug 18, 7:49 AM
    • 8,352 Posts
    • 84,668 Thanks
    greent
    No idea how (if) you can change a title, but well done to your DD!
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £450/5K
    Net sales 2020 £15.88/£500 Decluttering: 275/2020
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 25th Aug 18, 9:40 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    oh well just have to deal with the fact I can't spell. Thanks greent for the well done. Busy day here. Water butt finally installed ready for tomorrow as we are due rain, lots and lots of lovely rain. Garden almost sorted and managed to empty the wormery so lots of lovely free compost and worm sweat.OH is now on board with OP especially when I explained how much interest we would save. Made several savings with stockpiling purchases today. Ordered potatoes,garlic and Autumn planting onions and got a big saving.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

1,704Users online

Martin's Twitter