Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 32,923Posts
    • 194,738Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
Page 197
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Dec 19, 12:58 PM
    • 32,923 Posts
    • 194,738 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi RT

Good for you with the ironing board I'm still wondering about getting rid of mine full stop - I haven't used it for about 4 years, and if I *did* need to iron something, my desk could be the base plus whatever I needed to do it safely. Can't quite decide

I've just done 4/50 from the big list - trying to find the U3A login details, I went through all my accounts paperwork for this year, and I've previously been through the vague "to-do" pile of paper on the desk. I must have chucked it out, because I definitely remember seeing it, and I *need* the login to find groups details, but there's no way to get the info online, so I've emailed the poor longsuffering membership secretary, with apologies. It all took a ridiculous amount of time, but it needed doing.

Lunch now
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Dec 19, 6:30 PM
    • 32,923 Posts
    • 194,738 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Well, there was an absolute rainstorm within 5 minutes of me trying to do the garden, and very little else got done, but it's a Sunday in December, I don't care that I didn't do anything terribly much not even the Christmas cards Though onions and lentils have magically appeared cooked on the hob

I *did* accidentally start buying Christmas presents, delivered tomorrow to the local Waitrose. Two of them will need to be posted, so I kind of *had* to get my act together. Slippers and gloves and more gloves and notelets, and since my identity within the family is mostly "impoverished singleton aunt" and I have pacts not to buy with friends, thats over half done. I'm quite surprised ...
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 9th Dec 19, 7:02 AM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 28,724 Thanks
    earthgirl
    "impoverished singleton aunt" lol!

I agree Sundays in december are for ..nothing!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

Progress not Perfection
    • Finally Solvent
    • By Finally Solvent 9th Dec 19, 9:16 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Finally Solvent
    …... "impoverished singleton aunt"
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Several cruises, other trips and holidays, a lovely new kitchen, sometimes shopping at Waitrose etc etc. (You not me). I wish I were as impoverished as you are, KC
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Dec 19, 11:53 AM
    • 32,923 Posts
    • 194,738 Thanks
    Karmacat
    "impoverished singleton aunt" lol!

I agree Sundays in december are for ..nothing!
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    Yep, it was nice enough, particularly because I kind of made myself stop faffing and just relax

Several cruises, other trips and holidays, a lovely new kitchen, sometimes shopping at Waitrose etc etc. (You not me). I wish I were as impoverished as you are, KC
    Originally posted by Finally Solvent
    Including the holidays, I live on about £10k a year, £2k more than the state pension, which I'm not yet eligible for. The kitchen was bought with inherited money, since my mum died 3 years ago. Frozen food at Waitrose, which is 95% of what I buy there, costs about 20p per kilo more than Sainsbo, I think. Walking the further distance to Sainsbo is beyond me, so that 20p is a spend I'm willing to make. The London trips, I'm staying at my nephew's maisonette catsitting - very little extra money is involved in that.

I don't bother talking about the day to day ways I skimp - the number of layers I wear inside the house, or going out for a walk around the block simply to warm up. Very few new clothes (I did have to buy a warm coat for the first cruise - half price in Trespass, the only other thing I bought was a multipack of socks). Staying in bed in the morning so I don't put the heat on. Never, ever going out to evening events (partly because my health isn't good enough). My recent two months without a tv licence was mostly for financial reasons, that saved £24. Oh, and not having cats again, partly because of the everyday expenses, partly because of the big expenses like a catsitter of my own, and vets bills.

I have it better than a lot of people, but I don't have it easy.
    Last edited by Karmacat; 09-12-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    Retired August 2016
    • Finally Solvent
    • By Finally Solvent 9th Dec 19, 1:49 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Finally Solvent
    Yep, it was nice enough, particularly because I kind of made myself stop faffing and just relax

Including the holidays, I live on about £10k a year, £2k more than the state pension, which I'm not yet eligible for. The kitchen was bought with inherited money, since my mum died 3 years ago. Frozen food at Waitrose, which is 95% of what I buy there, costs about 20p per kilo more than Sainsbo, I think. Walking the further distance to Sainsbo is beyond me, so that 20p is a spend I'm willing to make. The London trips, I'm staying at my nephew's maisonette catsitting - very little extra money is involved in that.

I don't bother talking about the day to day ways I skimp - the number of layers I wear inside the house, or going out for a walk around the block simply to warm up. Very few new clothes (I did have to buy a warm coat for the first cruise - half price in Trespass, the only other thing I bought was a multipack of socks). Staying in bed in the morning so I don't put the heat on. Never, ever going out to evening events (partly because my health isn't good enough). My recent two months without a tv licence was mostly for financial reasons, that saved £24. Oh, and not having cats again, partly because of the everyday expenses, partly because of the big expenses like a catsitter of my own, and vets bills.

I have it better than a lot of people, but I don't have it easy.
    Oh dear, Karmacat, I feel really bad now. I do know how you skimp (as an avid reader of your diary but a relatively new poster) but I have a feeling that you thought I was 'getting at you' in some way by my earlier comment. Absolutely nothing of that sort was intended I promise you. I was having a little bit of fun at the term 'impoverished' and my attempt at humour somehow was lost in translation so to speak. Sorry xxx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Dec 19, 2:07 PM
    • 32,923 Posts
    • 194,738 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Nuff said, Finally Solvent, I don't know your voice well enough yet, so it didn't come over to me as you intended. Stay around, and we **will* know each other well enough
    Retired August 2016
    • Finally Solvent
    • By Finally Solvent 9th Dec 19, 2:10 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Finally Solvent
    Nuff said, Finally Solvent, I don't know your voice well enough yet, so it didn't come over to me as you intended. Stay around, and we **will* know each other well enough
    Thanks, KC. That really means a lot
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Dec 19, 5:57 PM
    • 68,479 Posts
    • 312,871 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have to say that I had not thought that one of the reasons you did not have cats was the cost
    A very valid reason as I know, though would not be without my boys.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 14 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Dec 19, 6:46 PM
    • 32,923 Posts
    • 194,738 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks, KC. That really means a lot
    Aww Keep going, the issues of getting and staying solvent are slightly different, and we all need to share and learn where we can. Twinges from prior lack of money notwithstanding

I was serious when I said before about posting a link to your own thread, if you decide to start one: I'm utter rubbish at using anything apart from User CP, which just gives me threads I've already subscribed to.

I have to say that I had not thought that one of the reasons you did not have cats was the cost
    A very valid reason as I know, though would not be without my boys.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I feel bad about it, but it's right for me and its not the only reason. Living with my two lovely cats (a grey and a black and white, mother and daughter) gave me allergies to cat hair, which I never had before.

And I'd have felt absolutely *awful* going away like I have if I'd had cats: 8 days on two Sun caravan holidays (very short travel times, because local, but still, I wasn't in the house), 5 day trip to brother for my mum's ashes, 5 weeks catsitting in London, the 12 days cruise that we went on half price bleep thats a lot that's, erm, two months!

If I had my own, I seriously couldn't leave them for that long, I'd miss them too much. But I was so ill for so long, I was desperate to get out and have a bit of life once I was well enough for train journeys. Oh my, I feel quite sniffly for how bad things used to be. It's wonderful to think how far I've come, actually!
    Retired August 2016
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 9th Dec 19, 7:40 PM
    • 9,797 Posts
    • 75,161 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I remember that I used to dip into your diary yonks ago(?) and then you received your inheritance. And - if I recall rightly - it was a huge help and has enabled things like the kitchen to be done just as you wanted it, not to fit to a v tight fixed budget? I enjoy hearing about your out-and-abouting, your fights with the brambles + laurel + weeds in general, your walks, your ancestor-hunting, U3A, eco stuff...

And when you finally do get your SP, does that mean you'll get 8k more p.a.? If so, you'll be rolling in it !!
    NST Jan Questor #1; NSD 14/15; Ex 15/21; remove items 102; 0 bagfuls (51)

Mortgage £3,000 ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 10th Dec 19, 1:31 AM
    • 3,046 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    badmemory
    Many years ago I got used to being the poor relation. My retirement income is now higher than my earnings were for the last few years. I have no intention of letting them know that because I do not want to get back in the eternal spiral of my spend is higher than yours. I've kept myself & my son for the last 30 years & hope to do it for another 30, which will make me a few months older than Kirk Douglas is now. Yes I know fat chance but one has to have an aim!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Dec 19, 11:07 AM
    • 32,923 Posts
    • 194,738 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I remember that I used to dip into your diary yonks ago(?) and then you received your inheritance. And - if I recall rightly - it was a huge help and has enabled things like the kitchen to be done just as you wanted it, not to fit to a v tight fixed budget? I enjoy hearing about your out-and-abouting, your fights with the brambles + laurel + weeds in general, your walks, your ancestor-hunting, U3A, eco stuff...
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    Aw, thanks apple! That's really nice

And when you finally do get your SP, does that mean you'll get 8k more p.a.? If so, you'll be rolling in it !!
    Nooooo it means a lesser amount of savings will be withdrawn norty Apple!

There's some Zimbabwean silver we still need to sell, actually - little nick-nacks that were bought or gifted over the years, which none of us want. Meant to do it over each of the past two summers, but never got round to it.

Many years ago I got used to being the poor relation. My retirement income is now higher than my earnings were for the last few years. I have no intention of letting them know that because I do not want to get back in the eternal spiral of my spend is higher than yours. I've kept myself & my son for the last 30 years & hope to do it for another 30, which will make me a few months older than Kirk Douglas is now. Yes I know fat chance but one has to have an aim!
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Thats amazing that your income is now slightly higher, bad memory! And absolutely agree that that needs to be kept private from whoever. We're all very open about savings, but income, not quite so much. I refer you to my misinterpretation of Finally Solvent's post
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Dec 19, 9:46 PM
    • 32,923 Posts
    • 194,738 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Such a lovely day out nursing a cup of coffee with a friend, and then a walk along the beach, its a long time since I've seen that amount of white water. Slightly difficult few minutes walking down the road that led away from the beach - a wind tunnel effect with that amount of wind was incredibly dangerous, I genuinely nearly lost control a few times - and one of them, I'd have been blown straight into the path of a taxi. As it was, I clawed my way back from that corner and went a different way. Very happy to get back to all the shops! Loved the trip, actually: I lived there for a long time, and its nice to go somewhere so big and so lively

Two purchases: 2 x 500g organic soya beans, £1.39 each. Its incredibly difficult to find soya beans - HandB does them, but I won't touch them unless they're the *only* people. I discovered my online supplier does them, but its a while until I order again. So this does nicely, and its a very good price, especially organic.

Popped into a shop thats a mix between utility/ hotel ware/ camping (they sell Kelley kettles!) and eventually bought some very long, very stylish torches, that run off 2 x AAA batteries - nice for my nephew and his wife, one each Friend and I agreed not to do presents any more, and I need to consult with my brother about my SiL (though I haven't collected the ones I bought on Sunday, oops).
    Retired August 2016
    • Finally Solvent
    • By Finally Solvent 11th Dec 19, 6:24 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Finally Solvent
    I'm glad you enjoyed your day out and catching up with your friend. The wind sounds horrendous though. Good to know you reached home safe and sound

Well done on finding the torches. I just love torches, I have a set of 5 small ones which were really cheap (a 'sale' buy last year). I wasn't expecting much from them given their size but the beam is extremely bright . I keep one in my bag, one in the car, another in the drawer of my bedside table all for emergencies/power cuts etc.

By the way, what's a Kelley Kettle please? Also, I know you're vegetarian and although we aren't I'm trying to incorporate more veggie meals into our diet. What do you do with the soya beans and what's the problem with the H&B ones if you only buy them when no others are available?
    Last edited by Finally Solvent; 11-12-2019 at 6:27 AM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Dec 19, 9:53 AM
    • 32,923 Posts
    • 194,738 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm glad you enjoyed your day out and catching up with your friend. The wind sounds horrendous though. Good to know you reached home safe and sound
    Thanks FS - the day was really lovely, but the wind was a bit scary for a very little while. Glad to be home! I'm very tired today after all that physical effort, as well as socialising, so I'm having a stay at home day.

Well done on finding the torches. I just love torches, I have a set of 5 small ones which were really cheap (a 'sale' buy last year). I wasn't expecting much from them given their size but the beam is extremely bright . I keep one in my bag, one in the car, another in the drawer of my bedside table all for emergencies/power cuts etc.
    Thats exactly what I do, £3 a go, I had quite a few power cuts when I first moved here. The ones I bought as pressies yesterday are a bit more, as they're very styled, but it is Christmas, after all

By the way, what's a Kelley Kettle please?
    It took me a while to suss them out, a few years ago. They're beloved of the bushcraft community - they look sort of like a chimney, and at the bottom you burn a few twigs and in the body of the chimney is a litre or so of water (depending on size) you can also buy a little piece of kit to help you balance a saucepan on the top https://www.kellykettle.com/kelly-camping-kettles/stainless-steel
    They were always a bit expensive for me, which is why I got into home made rocket stoves https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Rocket-Stove-from-a-10-Can-and-4-So/ and I made one, though I added fireproof cement to hold in the insulation of the walls, which was fun, truly

Also, I know you're vegetarian and although we aren't I'm trying to incorporate more veggie meals into our diet. What do you do with the soya beans and what's the problem with the H&B ones if you only buy them when no others are available?
    Soya beans, any beans really, are soaked overnight, then boiled for 10 minutes in fresh water, then I cook them in a slow cooker for however long it says on the bag. Lentils don't need the overnight soaking, and don't need to be cooked as long. I'm not a good recipe person I'm really, really not so I'd say go to the bbc good food website, and do an ingredients search. Nuts and seeds are a wonderful vegetarian source of protein - again, the BBC website is your friend. For a frugal (very political!) version, go to Jack Monroe's website https://cookingonabootstrap.com/
    Red kidney beans keep a great texture. If you're not allergic to wheat, gluten etc, seitan, a Japanese protein, is fantastic if you can find it: the texture is like steak, when I was in my 20s I loved it. Can't touch the stuff now! Too many allergies!

HTH
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Dec 19, 9:55 AM
    • 32,923 Posts
    • 194,738 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I was hunting soya beans in particular because of something a nutrient coach on the Russian cruise said: walnuts, soya beans and rapeseed oil are great for ... omega 3? I think so but supermarkets don't stock them any more.
    Retired August 2016
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 11th Dec 19, 10:02 AM
    • 3,587 Posts
    • 31,055 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I thought I read some years ago that the GM corruption of soya beans had removed any ability to ensure they were organic and not modified. It was the "Roundup-Ready Monsanto ones that everyone was concerned about). Maybe sufficient time has passed that organic certification is once again possible.

A quick check on the EC Europa website (for EU Food Standards) suggests different testing but I am not up to date as I just don't eat them any more. Link here.

It goes some way to explaining why they are not commonly available any more, with all the fears surrounding glyphosate

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £0/£5k
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £175.46/£3k 5.85% so far
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 £293.23/£15,000 1.95%
    MFIT T5 No 2 £43,098/£59,998 or 71.83% paid after Q4
    My DFD is here
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Dec 19, 10:28 AM
    • 32,923 Posts
    • 194,738 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks for that, SL - I remember some aggro about it now, but not the details. These are packaged under the label of Infinity Foods, the famous food co-op in Brighton https://www.infinityfoodswholesale.coop/about_us/ and the product https://www.infinityfoodswholesale.coop/all_products/beans_peas_and_pulses/infinity_prepacked_organic_beans_peas_and_pulses/soya_beans/ I downloaded the pdf info sheet too, as I got curious.

The only thing I could find was this: "The product meets EU Organic Standards 834/2007 and 889/2008 and meets the Soil Association Organic Standards. General Requirements Pesticide Residue levels shall not exceed the limits set for EU Organic Products."

That link you provided is interesting! I can't "translate" the whole of it but I can see the phrase "herbicide tolerant crop", which to my lay person's ears means that it's been dosed with a big wallop of glyphosate etc and bred so that it doesn't kill the plant, just the pests. Is that right? Hmmm.

So Infinity aren't lying when they say the beans are organically certified, but that certification allows for a glyphosate residue, and glyphosate is *heavily* implicated in causing cancer, is that right? Hmmm. How disappointing but how important to know.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Dec 19, 10:31 AM
    • 32,923 Posts
    • 194,738 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh, FS, H and B, which is Holland and Barrett: their health ranges are as okay as anything else, but I started having objections to the amount of ordinary sweets and unnecessary over-produced items I considered they were selling. And then I fell foul of their pricing policies - I think they deliberately make their pricing as opaque as possible to increase their profits. Which, yes, all companies need profits, but its the opacity and confusion they use, I dislike it.
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,988Posts Today

8,239Users online

Martin's Twitter