Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 4
    • ma3140
    • By ma3140 12th Apr 14, 12:09 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ma3140
    Sky
    Called today and said I was looking at leaving and taking my TV , Broadband and phone to BT or Talk Talk

Offered 23.55 saving per month for a year !!! a total saving of 282.60

Thanks MSE
  • TheMacs
    Call with Sky
    Just had a 5 min call with Sky Broadband. Mentioned the EE offer (which I was reluctant to go with, after they screwed up my broadband over a year ago) and Sky offered me free ADSL2+ broadband for a year with a 15.40/mth line rental charge. Just 25p more expensive than last year.

Note that Sky now don't offer the "pay your line rental in advance" option any more...
    • sofaman
    • By sofaman 28th Apr 14, 12:58 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    sofaman
    Just had a 5 min call with Sky Broadband. Mentioned the EE offer (which I was reluctant to go with, after they screwed up my broadband over a year ago) and Sky offered me free ADSL2+ broadband for a year with a 15.40/mth line rental charge. Just 25p more expensive than last year.

Note that Sky now don't offer the "pay your line rental in advance" option any more...
    Originally posted by TheMacs
    Which Sky dept. did you have any luck with? I tried this with 1st tier customer support, and got absolutely nowhere!
  • mchu6am4

Originally posted by TheMacs
    My contract is also up in a months time and need to negotiate...can you please share you experience/department you contacted?
  • fozzsafc
    Saved 408 on new Sky package!
    Hi, Thought I'd just tell you about my success negotiating a deal with retentions dept at Sky. I currently have Fibre Broadband which costs me 25.40 having negotiated 10/mth discount in January. But that's not the good bit... Now a Sky rep phoned and offered my a deal with 75% discount. So I said ok and signed up with the family bundle HD for an extra 8 per month. Which I thought was a great deal! But today I decided to "have a go at 'em" I logged onto the online chat and started telling them I wanted to cancel as i don't think I'd use the tv much. I was passed through to retentions - on line. I said I wanted the HD and 3D Family bundle, Free installation and Fibre broadband all for 30 and stuck to my guns. He eventually came down to 33.40/mth but I still said no and he then "had a word with the manager" and they suggested crediting my account with a one off 20 towards my 30 monthly limit. I said no again and they eventually came back and offered 40 credit which takes my package to 30/mth for Fibre, HD 3D Family bundle free install and delivery. Saving 408/year on usual costs!!! Basically this took about 1hr online chat but if you stick to a figure they will eventually match it somehow! Good luck...
  • Westy@reviewer
    I've been on to Sky today as I was looking to go with the MSE EE deal or a special BT deal through work.

Anyways, got through to a nice old chap and after some to-ing and fro-ing we managed to get unlimited fibre for 7.50 for a year plus line rental for free. Also had the hub and installation fee waived and 10 credit on our bill cause it took him an hour to sort it (system issues - didn't really care the call cost me nowt).

Tidy darts
    I am a spokesperson for the local Ninja constituent
  • Westy@reviewer
    For the avoidance of doubt that is 7.50 per month for a year and not 7.50 total for 12 months...I wish!!
    I am a spokesperson for the local Ninja constituent
  • sparklydog
    I've been on to Sky today as I was looking to go with the MSE EE deal or a special BT deal through work.

Anyways, got through to a nice old chap and after some to-ing and fro-ing we managed to get unlimited fibre for 7.50 for a year plus line rental for free. Also had the hub and installation fee waived and 10 credit on our bill cause it took him an hour to sort it (system issues - didn't really care the call cost me nowt).

Tidy darts
    Originally posted by Westy@reviewer
    Wow! Do you have the name of the guy? The last bunch didn't have a clue when it comes to retaining loyal customers!
  • Twinmummuyplus4more
    My deal
    Hi, I recently called sky wanting to cancel and move to virgin. We wanted the fibre bb and their prices were very competitive. Anyway, after telling sky I intended leaving sky offered me:

variety Tv package 21.50 - after 6 months still 21.50
    sky talk -free weekends (half price line rental) 7.70 - after 6 months still 7.70
    sky fibre unlimited 7.50 - after 6 months 20.00
    =36.70 for the first 6 months and then 49.20 thereafter.

Total discounts:
    VARIETY bundle discounted by 5.50 - permanently
    Landline rental discounted by 7.70 - permanently
    Sky fibre discounted by 12.50 - 6 months
    = 25.70 per month discount/saving for 6 months and then a permanent discount of 13.20 per month

Plus free fibre set up saving 50, free hub and I was also offered 3 months of sky sports AND movies for 10 pm for both but I declined as we don't really watch tv lol ( plus we have Netflix anyway
    So not bad really!

But.... They didn't apply the deal to my account, we're charging me full price fibre and downgraded my channels!! So I had to contact them to get them to give me the deal I was offered!
    I've since checked my new package and it's actually just 31.20 per month!! Even better...not sure why as this months bill is so confusing lol ....I just hope they keep to the deal after 6 months and permanently discount my package! Overall I'm getting the same deal I would have done with virgin plus I'm getting fibre too so I'm happy as I should be paying near 67 so less than half price )
    • bullshot
    • By bullshot 28th May 14, 9:37 AM
    • 4,022 Posts
    • 67,482 Thanks
    bullshot
    I have a Sky+Hd box( not Wifi) , wanted to see what the On Demand was about so trailed a long cable across the room to connect it to my router, did not watch a programme, just took a look at what was on offer.doing this meant I had already connected so did not qualify for a free Wifi adapter.( as I had already registered for On Demand )Tried several times to get one ( on line chat) but was told it was only for people that had never connected .saw the advert on TV yesterday and decided to have 1 more go, got passed to another Chat person who might be able to help....offered a discounted box if I upgraded to Family for 5 month.I said I would have to take a look at the BT TV package as have their Broadband and Free Sport...then came the offer I accepted .....free Wifi Adapter, Free Family upgrade and my monthly payments reduced by 1.50. I already had a discounted Entertainment package , paying 25.50 instead of 27.Had the email re my adapter on its way for free and checked my account online and it now shows 24.Pays to be polite and persevere.Missed Game of Thrones, so now get access to Box Sets, will watch what I want in this first year and then cancel Family package if I don' d need it...although everything in HD now so maybe tempted to keep it.
    • poorbabe
    • By poorbabe 31st May 14, 5:55 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    poorbabe
    I rang Sky looking to move my line rental to the Post Office as they offer the same service at a cheaper price. They offered to reduce their line rental charge by 50% for the next 12 months, which is what I was after.

Maybe I should have tried cancelling my Sky TV to see what they would offer for that.

• glennamy
    • By glennamy 14th Jun 14, 10:37 AM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 76,892 Thanks
    glennamy
    Just chatted with Sky online (no call charges) and stated I was struggling with my bills. I am on the 21.50 Entertainment package.

They first offered me a reduction of 2.35, which I declined, so they offered me 10 a month for 12 month contract, that is a reduction of 11.50, a 53.5% discount!

So chuffed!
    Last edited by glennamy; 14-06-2014 at 10:54 AM.
    Can't Smile Without You
    • sellingmysoul666
    • By sellingmysoul666 15th Jun 14, 3:26 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    sellingmysoul666
    rac breakdown
    I had my renewal letter form the rac they were asking for 175
    I checked how much it would cost for a new customer online - 139
    rang the Freephone number and asked to cancel as it was cheaper online
    He initially said he could change it to 149 due to the number of call outs I had had.
    So i said I would cancel again.
    He asked his supervisor and said they would match the online price
    saved 36 and the phone call was even a Freephone one
    "what lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • Susan1942
    • By Susan1942 15th Jun 14, 8:42 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    Susan1942
    I have been with AOL since 2004 when I got my first computer Over the years I had changed to phone line and calls etc Each time I have spoken to them they have come up with a new deal for me which has always been to my advantage I called them to ask about BB speed and got through to Talk Talk I was only paying 4 20 plus line rental for BB all local national and international phone calls
    I know AOL are not taking any new customers and were keen to change me to TT I was not keen to do this but they offer me free line rental for 12 months 5 for BB and Local and National calls plus 3 50 for international calls They said they would give me the first month free and a 20 credit to my AOL account Having thought it through if I deduct everything looks like I will be paying only 53 for the year Free modem and no connection charge or fee for leaving the AOl account I have agreed to this and while next year the fees will be different if I pay the line rental up from I can make a saving of 50 my Daughter has been with Tiscali TT since 2000 without a problem and whilst AOL have a poor rating on things like WHICH I personally have not had any problems I have now made the switch and managed to set up the new router and change my TV Phone Kindle etc without a problem so for now I am happy
    I had a headache when I came off the phone as she was determinded to make a deal with me Twice she put me on hold and came back with a better deal Sue
    • hop3y
    • By hop3y 16th Jun 14, 11:22 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    hop3y
    I just set up with PlusNet via their web chat, asked if they could do anything better and I got an offer of 50 cashback straight away.

Worth a try people!
  • Saving Sarah
    Spoke to sky this weekend and told them i was walking away - went through three different people to get to the cancellations team. Free broadband and 50% off line rental so I'm in for another year - but next year I'll put a reminder in my calendar to call as soon as I'm out of contract period Thanks MSE !!
  • jwed2000
    I called sky a couple of months ago to tell them the 100 a month bill was just too much (120 including phone calls), they could only suggest dropping channels or the 2nd box. I wrote to the CEO and some head of customer services, I got a call back but still only suggesting the same.
    My question is that whilst I am happy with what we have, my gripe is the cost, I don't really want to leave. How far should I take my threats to leave, should I actually cancel?
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 1st Jul 14, 12:38 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    Just chatted with Sky online (no call charges) and stated I was struggling with my bills. I am on the 21.50 Entertainment package.

They first offered me a reduction of 2.35, which I declined, so they offered me 10 a month for 12 month contract, that is a reduction of 11.50, a 53.5% discount!

So chuffed!
    Originally posted by glennamy
    I've just been offered a similar deal. Been on a 50% off package for 12 months. Currently paying 12/month instead of 23.50 for Sky TV only. Went to cancel via the Cancellation online chat facility. I've been offered my same package for 13.50/month instead of 23.50/month but I need to go into a new 12 month contract.

I've been given some thinking time to ponder it as I am weary that the price will go up in September (although I've been told by no more than 1). Anyone think this is the best I will get out of them? I tried to not enter a new contract but they wouldn't have it.

I can still cancel if I want to and they will honour todays date as my notice of cancellation.
    Last edited by DonnySaver; 01-07-2014 at 1:05 PM.
    • glenrothes
    • By glenrothes 19th Jul 14, 2:14 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    glenrothes
    I have the TalkTalk essentials package. I have 2 months left on my 12 month contract, and am moving house in 1 month.

I went to the 'contact' page on the TalkTalk website, went through the drop down options to select leaving TalkTalk and used the phone number they had on there. Checking that number against others that come up when you select different options it, as I suspected, puts you directly through to retentions, so you are dealing instantly with someone with the authority to give you a deal.

I was polite, cheerful, but very blunt. I said I was moving and that EE currently has the best price available for a new contract, and asked what they could do for me to keep me as a customer.

With no hassle they halved the cost of the line rental - meaning a total of 19.45 a month went down to 11.50(ish). This came at a cost of another 12 month contract, but I'm moving in the same postcode area and have been fine with the service they had gave me, so more than happy to be in a new contract if it saves me that much.

Hope that inspires anyone in a similar end of contract situation
    • iamashoppingaddict
    • By iamashoppingaddict 23rd Jul 14, 10:16 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 860 Thanks
    iamashoppingaddict
    Well after receiving the letter from sky yesterday telling me that my bill was going up by 1.25 I decided to look into alternatives.

I pay in total 59 to sky each month for TV, Phone (which we don't use!) and fibre broadband.

I can get the same type of package with TalkTalk for 30 for the first 6 months and then 44 after that.

I called sky to discuss and got through to retentions and all I got offered was 35% of TV for a year and half price fibre for 6 months.

So for 6 months it would be 41 a month and then after that it would be 51. Not really any of these great savings that everyone has been talking about here.

I've been with them for 5 years (as she told me!). I told her what I could get from Talk Talk and she just told me to 'look at the reviews for TT'.

Anyway I left it that I would think about it and she is going to call me back on Monday. In the meantime I will do some more research!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

2,141Users online

Martin's Twitter