Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 16
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 4th Jun 19, 1:25 PM
    • 13,653 Posts
    • 6,286 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Nothing to stop you having a monthly contract for phone after 12 months is up .
    Many do offer 12 month BB but at a higher cost .
    • phillw
    • By phillw 10th Jun 19, 10:21 PM
    • 3,197 Posts
    • 2,649 Thanks
    phillw
    (i have actually paid less year on year due to the price rises )
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Five years ago I was paying around £4 a month for phone line and broadband. Then there were some insane cashback deals on otherwise relatively expensive deals, which due to price rises I was able to leave before I'd paid the company more than I'd received in cash back. One time I had to fight to get all the upfront line rental back, but I made something like £30 out of them that year.

Sky spoilt my run by withholding cashback for about 8 months, I perhaps should have cut my losses when they put their price up. I don't think my current provider is going to put their prices up now, I think they have started to cotton on.

I wouldn't stay with my current provider at the end of the contract. I have a separate "cable" router that I plug into whatever awful router the ISP sends me, so that I don't have to reconfigure anything whenever I switch. Advanced routers are pretty expensive, but if you spread the cost over the life of the router then you get much better local wireless and ethernet speeds than any ISP is shipping for something like £1 a month. If you get one that supports openwrt or dd-wrt then it will also be up to date with security patches, which your ISP supplied router is unlikely to have (especially on the cheap broadband like I get)
    Last edited by phillw; 10-06-2019 at 10:29 PM.
    • mopezone
    • By mopezone 22nd Aug 19, 3:27 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    mopezone
    Virginmedia not playing ball!
    Tried to get a better deal with VM as had been with them for many years, but they would not budge, so asked to cancel contract. Lots of introductory offers with other providers, They said Ok cancel then. I expected a call back but nothing. Hey ho time to save money.
    Originally posted by TREVORCOLMAN
    I've just been on to them as my package goes up to £126pm on 1st September - from £122!
    The bloke in India offered to reduce it to £125 but include free calls to mobiles - when I pointed out that I wanted to reduce the price not have a smaller increase he offered to cut my broadband speed from 216mb to 108mb, any time calls to weekend only free calls, and lose BT Sport, for £92pm - still don't think this is a good deal since it's what new customers get, but including BT Sport, for £65 for the first 12 months.

Where do I go from here? Is it possible to connect to a call centre in the UK rather than India?
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 22nd Aug 19, 3:56 PM
    • 7,104 Posts
    • 19,947 Thanks
    Doc N
    I've just been on to them as my package goes up to £126pm on 1st September - from £122!
    The bloke in India offered to reduce it to £125 but include free calls to mobiles - when I pointed out that I wanted to reduce the price not have a smaller increase he offered to cut my broadband speed from 216mb to 108mb, any time calls to weekend only free calls, and lose BT Sport, for £92pm - still don't think this is a good deal since it's what new customers get, but including BT Sport, for £65 for the first 12 months.

Where do I go from here? Is it possible to connect to a call centre in the UK rather than India?
    Originally posted by mopezone
    Leave. Thatís a staggeringly high price.
    • mopezone
    • By mopezone 22nd Aug 19, 5:42 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    mopezone
    Well thatís what I thought!

What does anybody else pay for 200mb broadband, free anytime calls and TV including non-HD Sky Sports and BT Sport but not Sky Movies?
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 22nd Aug 19, 6:56 PM
    • 7,104 Posts
    • 19,947 Thanks
    Doc N
    Well thatís what I thought!

What does anybody else pay for 200mb broadband, free anytime calls and TV including non-HD Sky Sports and BT Sport but not Sky Movies?
    Originally posted by mopezone
    Not remotely the same thing, I appreciate, but I'm paying TalkTalk just £21 pm for unlimited faster fibre, free anytime calls, and various add-ons that BT charge for.

Freeview gives us all the TV we want without charge.
    • Cangrejito
    • By Cangrejito 27th Aug 19, 3:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cangrejito
    Thanks to Martin
    Reading through Martin's tips on haggling with VM has served me well today and I managed to renegotiate a saving of £21.50 per month on my TV/phone/broadband bundle.
    Happy days
    • mopezone
    • By mopezone 27th Aug 19, 3:40 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    mopezone
    Well done!
    Reading through Martin's tips on haggling with VM has served me well today and I managed to renegotiate a saving of £21.50 per month on my TV/phone/broadband bundle.
    Happy days
    Originally posted by Cangrejito
    Did you accept any reductions in your package, or is it just the same but cheaper?

And what would you say were the key points, the clinchers for you as it were?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,792Posts Today

4,444Users online

Martin's Twitter