Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 27th Mar 12, 4:48 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 22Thanks
    MSE Tony
    Car Breakdown Discussion
    • 27th Mar 12, 4:48 PM
    Car Breakdown Discussion 27th Mar 12 at 4:48 PM

This discussion is specifically for you to feedback on

Car Breakdown cover

Please first read the

Click 'post reply' to have your say and let us know if it's about home or car cover

To discuss other issues please use one of the following:

Car Insurance

Feedback

Last edited by MSE Tony; 27-03-2012 at 7:00 PM.
Page 5
    • hethmar
    • By hethmar 10th Aug 12, 11:16 AM
    • 10,401 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    hethmar
    Advice please. Our renewal from AA arrived today. We have full silver cover - one car, nearly 3 years old and transit van which is 6 years old. The van has breakdown repair cover on top.

Roadside 62.72
    Home start 57.74
    Relay 59.41
    Joint cover 41.65
    Van breakdown repair cover 79.10

In total the cost is 300.62

Is it worth keeping the breakdown repair cover on the van? Has anyone used it/had any probs claiming?
    Last edited by hethmar; 10-08-2012 at 11:18 AM.
    • den169
    • By den169 10th Aug 12, 3:43 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    den169
    Advice please. Our renewal from AA arrived today. We have full silver cover - one car, nearly 3 years old and transit van which is 6 years old. The van has breakdown repair cover on top.

Roadside 62.72
    Home start 57.74
    Relay 59.41
    Joint cover 41.65
    Van breakdown repair cover 79.10

In total the cost is 300.62

Is it worth keeping the breakdown repair cover on the van? Has anyone used it/had any probs claiming?
    Originally posted by hethmar
    Take a look at Gem http://www.motoringassist.com/breakdown/
    they'll cover you and the wife partner for under 90,I'm pretty sure your transit will be covered as i emailed them about my Mazda pickup and they covered that no problem.They are one of the very few who actually say and i quote.
    We will arrange and pay the cost of taking the vehicle, you and up to 7 passengers to any one place you chose.
    Nearly all the others want to take you to a local garage if they think it can be fixed that day.

Last edited by den169; 10-08-2012 at 6:19 PM. Reason: added
  • wavydave
    breakdown cover
    i just got a renewal quote from green flag 91.00 for fully comp cover with homestart,after looking around i got the same cover for 51.94 from churchill and they use green flag as their recovery agent,check it out,good saving
  • KateRadford
    Don't go with 1st Central
    NEVER use 1st central European breakdown cover. In fact I would avoid the company for anything. We broke down on a French motorway near Tours. We had taken out European breakdown cover with 1st Central. When we broke down we called them up and we were told we are not covered for towing from a Motorway in France only a road. It seems this was in fact a lie. They said they would put us up in a hotel and take our car to garage first thing following day. The hotel they transported us to was 58km away from the car. We then call up the following day at 11am to ask what is happening with the car and we are informed it is on way to garage. We call up again at 4pm and ask about the car and told it has not yet made it to the garage. We are then told at 5pm that in fact we are not fully covered as the car is over 10 years old and they even wanted us to pay back cost of hotel and taxi which they choose and arranged!! We were not informed about this lack of cover when we rang up to take out and pay for breakdown cover. So 28 Hours after breakdown the car had still not been seen by a garage and we were deserted by our breakdown cover. They wasted our time, money and we got a told a string of lies. They did however manage to send us a text 2 days after breakdown to say we are not fully covered and they will not be helping us further. This was 24 hours after a text from them telling us the car was on the way to a garage, when in fact it was not!
    • hethmar
    • By hethmar 17th Aug 12, 4:24 PM
    • 10,401 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    hethmar
    Iv'e looked at green flag myself but this part of there terms below puts me off.I want the car taking home not to a local garage.
    I might aswell go for start rescue with personal cover at under 50 as use Green Flag under the same terms.
    What is covered
    All the benefits under Section A, and, if it is apparent to
    us or the
    chosen repairer that repairs cannot be effected by the repairer by the
    end of the working day,
    we will arrange and pay for the transportation
    of
    you, the vehicle and any passengers to a single destination of

your choice in the UK.
    Originally posted by den169
    But this would mean taken home wouldnt it? Its same with AA, if they cant repair it then you can be taken home. Single destination could be your home address.

Im thinking of the recovery plus which covers nationwide recovery.
    • hethmar
    • By hethmar 17th Aug 12, 4:30 PM
    • 10,401 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    hethmar
    i just got a renewal quote from green flag 91.00 for fully comp cover with homestart,after looking around i got the same cover for 51.94 from churchill and they use green flag as their recovery agent,check it out,good saving
    Originally posted by wavydave
    Ive just got a quote for 106 less 25 topcashback =81 for a car plus van for the recovery plus option on greenflag. What vehicle were you quoted for as that seems quite a lot higher than our quote. Do they up the price for older vehicles?
    Thats odd, just did a churchill quote with same details and its actually 50 more for same cover on our two vehicles.
    Last edited by hethmar; 17-08-2012 at 4:43 PM.
  • client1
    We had taken out European breakdown cover with 1st Central. ...............We are then told at 5pm that in fact we are not fully covered as the car is over 10 years old
    Originally posted by KateRadford
    Someone else that can't even be arsed to read the keyfacts of the insurance policy they took out, let alone the terms and conditions, then blames the insurers when they refuse to help.

Should have used ADAC.
    Last edited by client1; 17-08-2012 at 4:40 PM.
    • hethmar
    • By hethmar 17th Aug 12, 4:44 PM
    • 10,401 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    hethmar
    Take a look at Gem http://www.motoringassist.com/breakdown/
    they'll cover you and the wife partner for under 90,I'm pretty sure your transit will be covered as i emailed them about my Mazda pickup and they covered that no problem.They are one of the very few who actually say and i quote.

Nearly all the others want to take you to a local garage if they think it can be fixed that day.

Many thanks but they wont do Transit size
  • tbs624
    Has anyone got any comments on Co-op/Axa Breakdown cover?
  • wavydave
    re churchill
    Ive just got a quote for 106 less 25 topcashback =81 for a car plus van for the recovery plus option on greenflag. What vehicle were you quoted for as that seems quite a lot higher than our quote. Do they up the price for older vehicles?
    Thats odd, just did a churchill quote with same details and its actually 50 more for same cover on our two vehicles.
    Originally posted by hethmar

my car is less than 2 yrs old,ive not called anyone out for at least 4 yrs so 91 seems over the top but that is what green flag quoted
    • skydog
    • By skydog 29th Aug 12, 2:34 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    skydog
    Green Insurance
    I have used Green insurance for a year. No problem with the call outs: 1st time was engine stopped, but re-started before the breakdown truck arrived. Nothing they could do as there was no fault code stored in the computer. 2nd time was the same problem - bit of a quibble getting them to come out, but no real hassle once they understood it was their breakdown man who declared the problem had 'sorted itself out' and with no fault code stored there was nothing he could do. 2nd breakdown driver fussed over the car for a good 20 minutes, determined not to let it beat him - finally curing it by hitting the EGR valve with a big hammer! Car started instantly and ran perfectly. Since been repaired. So I can't fault them on response - within 40 min each time and helpful and knowledgable people.

Renewal premium at 52 was 10% below online price, but when I rang to ask them to remove the Euro cover, the premium became 82! However when I referred to the online price of around 28 for this cover, I was immediately offered a matching price. The explanation was that over the phone it's 82 and online it's 28. Not sure if I want to renew with a firm that's ripping off the internet-disadvantaged to that extent - a few quid admin charge is one thing but nearly 3 x the price is ridiculous.
  • Cathy80
    Had the renewal letter through for RAC - with my 'membership discount' (ha ha) my basic cover is going to cost 30.41 for the year. Only 50p more than online, but of course with the Quidco cashback this would only cost 10

Rang them up to cancel & explained why, but was told that you can't reapply for membership within 120 days of cancelling (and as it's based on vehicle reg, no good doing it under my partners name). When I said 'that's no problem, I'll go with AA instead,' I was offered a 20 M&S voucher to stay - effectively bringing the cover back down to just over 10

Not bad for a quick phone call!
  • nora bone
    Given the manner in which both the AA and RAC try to rip-off customers at renewal, why bother? I've been looking for a European policy and the prices from the AA and RAC are quite simply ridiculous profiteering.

I just bought annual home, recovery, Europe, etc. for 60.99 with Axa, one of the largest insurers in the world. No cashback, no arguing, no attempts to rip me off. Just a fair price from a single phone call for a four year old car and no obligation to auto renew. And fairly decent reviews too. And Axa now has got an app for the iPhone and Android that can be used in the event of a breakdown, which I think is a useful innovation. The chap I spoke to in the call centre was based in an English speaking country too (Republic of Ireland).

When the AA comes out with insulting renewal quotes like some of those listed here, charging loyal customers more than double what they will accept after haggling, I don't think we should even lower ourselves to call them back. I've never known a car or home insurer have that kind of mark-up and wriggle room. It is blatant profiteering.

I have to say, I do worry about some of the companies at the other end of the market that this site is recommending, particularly Green Insurance, when the review sites seem to view their customer service as utterly appalling. Quoteline was great while it used Britannia, but again the reviews for Mondial, Britannia's replacement, are dire.
    Originally posted by musical_norwich

I had breakdown cover, with Swinton I had not asked for this policy to be renewed I was awaiting renewal confirmation, I was being charged 10 per month, I telephoned them to be told this is an ongoing charge, I said but I never asked for this to happen..I cant believe how these Insurers take it upon themselves to proceed with taking mopney from people's Bank Account, when they were never told to, apparently this breakdown cover did not have a renewal date, which was all new to me..They informed me that they would refund my monies, but this has not happened.

As for Car Insurance, I was paying over 700..and this year by checking around I have found a Policy for 200 I cant believe how much extra I had been paying...It's a disgrace
    • den169
    • By den169 1st Sep 12, 6:21 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    den169
    I had breakdown cover, with Swinton I had not asked for this policy to be renewed I was awaiting renewal confirmation, I was being charged 10 per month, I telephoned them to be told this is an ongoing charge, I said but I never asked for this to happen..I cant believe how these Insurers take it upon themselves to proceed with taking mopney from people's Bank Account, when they were never told to, apparently this breakdown cover did not have a renewal date, which was all new to me..They informed me that they would refund my monies, but this has not happened.

As for Car Insurance, I was paying over 700..and this year by checking around I have found a Policy for 200 I cant believe how much extra I had been paying...It's a disgrace
    Originally posted by nora bone
    Same old story not all (autoaid Gem etc) but most of the companys in this country don't want to charge a fair price they want to rip everyone off for as much as they can possibly get away with,Iv'e got Adac ring me monday about breakdown recovery.
    Last edited by den169; 01-09-2012 at 6:54 PM. Reason: added
  • nora bone
    Same old story not all (autoaid Gem etc) but most of the companys in this country don't want to charge a fair price they want to rip everyone off for as much as they can possibly get away with,Iv'e got Adac ring me monday about breakdown recovery.
    I feel everywhere want to rip people off, even Supermarket's, Insurance Coampanies and Banks seem to be tied with the same brush..And this Tax on Insurance is another con, when we already pay Road Tax, and strangely enough there is never enough money to fix Pot Holes, and I thought that's why we paid Road Tax..

As for my Car Insurance strangely enough it's going to be with the same Underwriters I was with before quoted me for this renewal over 700 and when I looked around a quote came up at 200 something does not add up...

I'm not very happy with the money I have been over-charged, no wonder everyone is skint in this Country, as we are too busy paying off this rip off merchants..
  • andswife
    Car breakdown cover (12 yr old Car
    Need to take out car breakdown cover for 12-13 yr old car
    want home start and towing to destination or back home
    looked on comparison sites(Money Supermakret) they throw up ones for 28 but they are rubbish according to the reviews

Also Looked on M Lewis and totally confused, thinking just AA as straight Forwards V Very confusing Help any one reccomend what we need- would like a bargain too.
    • den169
    • By den169 3rd Sep 12, 2:12 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    den169
    Need to take out car breakdown cover for 12-13 yr old car
    want home start and towing to destination or back home
    looked on comparison sites(Money Supermakret) they throw up ones for 28 but they are rubbish according to the reviews

Also Looked on M Lewis and totally confused, thinking just AA as straight Forwards V Very confusing Help any one reccomend what we need- would like a bargain too.
    Originally posted by andswife
    Autoaid or Gem there the only 2 i can find that state if it can't be repaired at roadside they will take it home or destination,Autoaid about 38 but thats pay and reclaim or Gem
    about 90 for partner spouse not a reclaim one.All the others as far as i can see take you to a local garage to be ripped off then if it can't be repaired that day they'll take you home.
    • skydog
    • By skydog 4th Sep 12, 12:51 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    skydog
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I chose GEM in the end although a lot dearer than Green Insurance, much more reassured that they would actually provide the kind of assistance needed - i.e. recovery to home if my wife broke down on her own miles from anywhere. I also liked the fact that they don't keep your credit card details for next year and that you have to opt-IN to receive promotions and offers from them.
    • missionary
    • By missionary 16th Sep 12, 8:40 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    missionary
    So what happened to Green Flag then ? Martin asked in April for any reports on their claim to match other renewal costs, but it seems quiet.
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 16th Sep 12, 9:02 PM
    • 8,201 Posts
    • 3,011 Thanks
    Buzby
    Unless things have changed, I disliked GEM with a vengeance, after being with them for almost 10 years. If you break down, they expect you to arrange all your own assistance, only sending them the invoice which they will reimburse you, this meant you had to pay whoever you called out.

I switched to the RAC, as I would not be botrhered with this hassle. It was dearer, but I did not have to find my own assistance, and pay for it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

2,800Users online

Martin's Twitter