Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DonnyDave
    • By DonnyDave 20th Mar 11, 2:20 PM
    • 1,568Posts
    • 438Thanks
    DonnyDave
    Spam from "GSN" to e-mail address registered on Play.com
    • 20th Mar 11, 2:20 PM
    Spam from "GSN" to e-mail address registered on Play.com 20th Mar 11 at 2:20 PM
    I have just received a spam message to play@mydomain which has only ever been given to online retailer Play.com:

Subject: Get more done, much faster, with Acrobat X PDF Reader. Upgrade Available Now

See how Adobe Acrobat X Reader is a step above anything you've experienced before, so you can be even more productive.

Upgrade now: <spam link removed>

Just how much faster can you work with Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader
    software? Fast enough to stay on top of last-minute changes, connect
    with key decision makers, and share updates with co-workers.

You'll discover how easy it is to reuse content by exporting PDF files
    to Microsoft Word or Excel formats. And how quickly you can automate
    multi-step tasks with new, guided Actions. No wonder PC Magazine
    says, "There's a lot to like in Acrobat X PDF Reader." See for yourself at :

<spam link removed>

Copyright 2011 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.

Adobe Systems Incorporated
    343 Preston Street
    Ottawa, ON K1S 1N4
    Canada
    I am concerned that this may be as a result of a security breach at Play.com.
    Last edited by DonnyDave; 20-03-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Link removed
    Dave
    Say no to 0870!
Page 8
  • johnnyboyrebel
    Just a thought but have any of you guys ever bought from a playtrade seller on play.com? That may be much more likely to be the source of spam as Obviously they will harvest your email addresses too.

I'm also convinced that you can delete your play account altogether yourself so you could just set up next time you order if youre not a regular play shopper.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 10th May 11, 11:42 PM
    • 6,432 Posts
    • 20,711 Thanks
    Gigervamp

I'm also convinced that you can delete your play account altogether yourself so you could just set up next time you order if youre not a regular play shopper.
    Originally posted by johnnyboyrebel
    Why are you convinced and how do you delete an account?

I've just gone into my account and the only options are change email address, change password, and change newsletter settings.

Please let us know how we can delete our account as there are lots of people who would love to know.
  • halfer
    @johnnyboyrebel - don't forget play.com admitted that it was part of their infrastructure, not a third party seller, that was responsible in this case.

But yes, on-site sellers are generally a more significant leak point - wondering if this was the case with my more recent Amazon leak.

I've not seen any play.com feature to delete an account - I suspect one has to email them to request it. Given my experience (I asked if credit cards could be deletable in future) I wonder if such emails might go ignored anyway.
  • johnnyboyrebel
    Oh yeah, its totally against playtrade policy. Not saying its right, just that as play.com don't mask customer email addresses like amazon do then I guess its inevitable that some sellers will create a mailing list from it.

I only say I am 'convinced' as I'm sure there used to be a 'delete account' button. Maybe not then, you can definitely do it for a pro seller account though. Yeah just email or ring them, they will be able to do it.
  • joaqs
    Itís been months since I received the same mail. What I did when I received it is to immediately change my email and other accountsí password just to be sure. Iím paranoid when it comes to this type of things and just want to be extra careful as I do lots of transactions online.

Regarding deleting accounts, itís possible that itís just possible for pro accounts as I was still unable to remove my own account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,397Posts Today

8,738Users online

Martin's Twitter