Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 20th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 459Posts
    • 2,805Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    the hedgehog's balloons.
    • 20th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    the hedgehog's balloons. 20th Aug 18 at 11:46 AM
    I've been a long time lurker but we received our mortgage update yesterday and it made me feel really low that it doesn't seem to be reducing that fast even though we've been paying it for 7 years. We paid a huge deposit on our current house but its always at the back of my mind that the bank still owns the upstairs part. We currently owe £82,000 with 18 years to go and in January next year our fixed rate mortgage will end. Unfortunately OH will be starting a new job next week and not sure if the bank will let us have another and will have to go on their standard rate as he won't have been in it long. We're a family of 4, OH works full time and also works occasionally as an adult tutor (a couple of weekends a year), both DD are still at school and I am at stay at home mum and full time carer for DD2 who is disabled. We also have a crazy but lovable dog. So my aim is to start small and go to the bank and arrange to OP by £50 a month until my bank of mum (interest free loan) is paid off. Where do I find the SOA page? I think by doing one of these will help.
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 26-08-2018 at 2:21 PM.
Page 20
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 28th Mar 19, 7:06 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 2,975 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Have a fab break CR
    MFW 2019 No. 58 - DONE - MF as of 21/11/19
    2020 Targets - Grocery Challenge £0/£3600;Car £0/£4000 Holidays £800/£10500; Garden £0/£10000; Debts £300/£13000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 28th Mar 19, 10:59 AM
    • 2,687 Posts
    • 14,723 Thanks
    themadvix
    Enjoy your holiday - it sounds lovely, hope the weather is good for you!
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 3rd Apr 19, 11:58 AM
    • 459 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Had a fab weekend in Filey, the sun shone, the kids didn't fall out and spends were zilch (just rent and petrol). Currently been talked at by DD1 on genes and mutations as she has a mock biology exam this week. So I'm just nodding, smiling and asking the odd question in the right place - multi-tasking mum . Really not got a clue what she is talking about. Due to pick up DD2 soon as she has another transition day hoping this one goes better than the last one.
    Abit worn out this morning as currently taking out a friend's dogs out whilst they are in hospital and not sure when she will be coming out. 2 hours of walking might help shift some of the excess weight I'm carrying around. Got a few jobs knocked of the list, blue badge applied for......ok so just one job then oooo appointment for DD2 to go on the childrens ward for her immunisation on Monday done (not looking forward to this as she has a severe needle phobia) so 2 jobs done. Off to consult the list.
    CRx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 3rd Apr 19, 12:38 PM
    • 32,885 Posts
    • 194,485 Thanks
    Karmacat
    All sounds good, CR! Ooh, genes and mutations ... at college, I suddenly had to study genetics, for the part of my degree that dealt with physical anthropology. The Hardy Weinberg equations on genetic drift still live with me (or rather, the revision process does ). Good luck to DD1.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 4th Apr 19, 7:25 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    DD2 school visit went well this time and she met some other students in her year so she is happy to moving soon. We then went for cake at our favourite cafe with DD1 and my in laws. When we got home however I noticed DD2 had a few spots on her face and thought oooo teenager/puberty etc, I then spotted some spots on her legs and thought oh no the dog must have fleas, and then when I stripped her, she was covered head to foot in chicken pox. Cue a made dash to the local supermarket for calamine lotion and they were out of stock and I had to buy an alternative (bloomin expensive stuff). Anyway today she obviously hasn't gone into school, had to cancel all plans for the next couple of days and also her hospital appointment for her immunisation booster. which was on Monday. Highlight of the day was taking my friends dogs and our dog out for walks when my mum came to look after DD2. Managed to get the last bottle of calamine lotion from another supermarket when I took DD1 best friend to get some food. Off to slather DD2 in more lotion hope you allhave had a good day.
    CRx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Apr 19, 7:31 PM
    • 32,885 Posts
    • 194,485 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's rough sorry to hear about the chicken pox
    Retired August 2016
    • greent
    • By greent 5th Apr 19, 9:42 AM
    • 8,334 Posts
    • 84,586 Thanks
    greent
    Ahhh - that's rough Hope DD2's not suffering *too* much with it (and also hoping the rest of you have already had it some time ago!) xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £400/5K
    Net sales 2020 £7/£500 Decluttering: 250/2020
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 5th Apr 19, 9:53 AM
    • 2,687 Posts
    • 14,723 Thanks
    themadvix
    That's rubbish about the chicken pox but glad DD2 had a better experience at the new school.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 5th Apr 19, 5:18 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Not got alot accomplished today as spent most of it on the sofa with a very miserable and tired DD2.. Once DD1 got home I took friends pooches out for walk (I was out with ours at 7am this morning-lots of birds singing and cooing) and then started tea. Celebratory pizza, ,salad and homemade chips yum. Off to slather DD2 in lotion again.
    CRx
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 6th Apr 19, 10:09 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 2,975 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Bless her hope she feels better soon!
    MFW 2019 No. 58 - DONE - MF as of 21/11/19
    2020 Targets - Grocery Challenge £0/£3600;Car £0/£4000 Holidays £800/£10500; Garden £0/£10000; Debts £300/£13000
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 6th Apr 19, 7:31 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    The itching and grumpiness continues. Just ordered DD2 uniform for her new school and its cost £350 as it has to come from a particular shop.Its a cost that wasn't factored into this year's costings. Was really hoping that we could of used some of her old uniform but no. She has had strict instructions not to grow at all until she leaves. Good job DH has worked this morning as a tutor so although it won't cover all the costs it will cover some of it. Off to slather lotion all over DD2 again.
    CRx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Apr 19, 9:12 PM
    • 32,885 Posts
    • 194,485 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Gosh, I didn't think schools were still allowed to micromanage the uniform like that - it's a lot of money!
    Retired August 2016
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 6th Apr 19, 9:33 PM
    • 2,566 Posts
    • 11,045 Thanks
    teapot2
    Hope DD2 feels better and less spotty soon Thats a lot of money for school uniform
    • greent
    • By greent 7th Apr 19, 10:13 AM
    • 8,334 Posts
    • 84,586 Thanks
    greent
    Uniform costa re hellish, aren't they Is that all the sports kit, too? - I know the stuff for my lot always costs as it's all branded/ logo-ed/ school and house colours and only come from one supplier..... Thankfully, DS2's school has a fab 2nd-hand shop run by the PTA where I can get school sports hoodies for around £5 (£30+ new) etc - and they even run a waiting list x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £400/5K
    Net sales 2020 £7/£500 Decluttering: 250/2020
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 10th Dec 19, 8:24 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Gosh its been alongtime since I posted. My dad became really ill and was in hospital for a couple of months. He's now out but on oxygen all the time but is trying to make the best of it. Strange how illness can bring families closer together but that is what it has done.
    We've not really made any inroad into the mortgage other than the standard payments. However, its something that we need to start looking at again but probably best left to the new year as we are currently under the weather, stomach bugs, which if nothing else is saving us money as nobody is really eating much. Hope you're all well and christamas preperations are in hand.
    CRx
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 10th Dec 19, 8:37 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Gosh its been alongtime since I posted. My dad became really ill and was in hospital for a couple of months. He's now out but on oxygen all the time but is trying to make the best of it. Strange how illness can bring families closer together but that is what it has done.
    We've not really made any inroad into the mortgage other than the standard payments. However, its something that we need to start looking at again but probably best left to the new year as we are currently under the weather, stomach bugs, which if nothing else is saving us money as nobody is really eating much. Hope you're all well and christamas preperations are in hand.
    CRx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Dec 19, 9:31 PM
    • 32,885 Posts
    • 194,485 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hello CR, sorry to hear that everyone's been so poorly, your dad worst of all I'm not surprised you're ignoring overpayments right now, good heavens yes! Hope you're all going to get well for Christmas, and that *your* Christmas preps are in hand.
    Retired August 2016
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 12th Dec 19, 5:56 AM
    • 459 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    DD2 woke me as usually aboout 330am but was unable to get to sleep, lots of things whizzing around my head. Just spent the last hour tidying up down stairs but stopped for a break plus I don't think the rest of the household would appreciate me hoovering at this time in the morning. Beginning to feel abit more human so yesterday sat and made the dog another bed from the remainder of the double duvet I dyed last year and stuffed it with another single duvet. I've made it possible to take the stuffing out as the last one used to take ages to dry. Also made a draught excluder for the front door out of a pair of old jeans and stuffed it with bubble wrap that i've been wanting to get rid of but didn't want to chuck . Finally got round to making my plastic free christmas crackers as the snaps had arrived. I'm sure people will appreciate the small bar of chocolates in them than some piece of plastic that would go in the bin. Obviously had to sample a couple of bars just to check they weren't poisionous. Took DD2 to the doctor as she has had a rash on her arm for several weeks which we had been told by a pharmacist could be ringworm (I thought it was eczeama) any way its is eczeama. So given steroid cream to use for the next 2 weeks. The hubbster went back to work and seems to be feeling better although he does look like he needs a good meal as he's lost so much weight. The twins pressies arrived today and had to check i'd not ordered double as four boats arrived instead of 2 so sent an email saying if the company wants to cover postage I will return them. I suspect they will say to keep. Think I will give them to the charity shop my daughter works at.
    Today DD2 has a wheelchair assessment which should be interesting , other than that just got abit of research to do for my next assignment, finish tidying the house, pick up a memory stick from a friends house who took some photos for the family for christmas presents, take the dog out, not stay up to see who wins the election and I think thats it. I'm sure my list will get longer.
    Happy voting everyone
    CRx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Dec 19, 11:00 AM
    • 32,885 Posts
    • 194,485 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow! Loving the crackers, and how selfless of you to make sure the chocolate wasn't poisonous
    Retired August 2016
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 13th Dec 19, 11:38 AM
    • 459 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Had great plans for today as DD2 has finally after three long weeks of illness gone back to school full time. Unfortunately I have her cold now and really couldn't face walking about town in the rain so just went and dropped of a bag full of empty crisip packets (no I didn't eat all of them, but it did make me realise how many we are eating as a family) at our local collection point to be recycled and raise money for this charity
    https://www.btrs.org.uk/Support-Us/Fundraising/Current-Funds/Ellie-s-Fund
    Also went and ordered photos that are going to be used as christamas presents. Called at the supermarket for a small shop and then ran out of steam. Currently waiting for a return phone call from the charity that funded DD2 electric chair as the NHS assessment team have updated her assessmnet and will only fund a standard chair. They have said however that that chair could be retro fitted with the e fix wheels, battery etc off her current chair (great recycling) and then we would only need to apply to the charity to pay for the fitting of the equipement or we may be asked to pay for this. However, the charity may say no which will mean a whole new chair that could cost anywhere between £5000 to £7,000 which we would have to ask them if they would fund it and if they don't we may have to fund it. So currently looking at how much we can save over the next few months incase we have to self fund. All spending is now on hold. Christmas isn't cancelled though............. yet!
    CRx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,616Posts Today

7,014Users online

Martin's Twitter