Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whitejohn
    • By whitejohn 10th Dec 19, 12:41 PM
    • 181Posts
    • 19Thanks
    whitejohn
    Refused what should I do
    • 10th Dec 19, 12:41 PM
    Refused what should I do 10th Dec 19 at 12:41 PM
    Talk Talk and Three have been a nightmare. End of contract with Talk Talk now so applied for Three broadband as my phone and direct debit is already with them but refused credit as it's apparently another account and that failed. (mabe too soon after setting up the phone?)

I'm retired, everything paid off, no loans, never had poor credit, where do I go from here. Is there a trusted free credit file checker that would tell me the problem?

Meanwhile can only think of getting completely mobile broadband.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Dec 19, 12:46 PM
    • 24,754 Posts
    • 27,616 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Dec 19, 12:46 PM
    • 10th Dec 19, 12:46 PM
    Have a look at all three of your files via Clearscore, MSE Credit Club and Noddle.

See what is reported there (in terms of accounts and data, not the scores or ratings).
    • whitejohn
    • By whitejohn 10th Dec 19, 12:52 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    whitejohn
    • 10th Dec 19, 12:52 PM
    • 10th Dec 19, 12:52 PM
    Have a look at all three of your files via Clearscore, MSE Credit Club and Noddle.

See what is reported there (in terms of accounts and data, not the scores or ratings).
    Originally posted by zx81
    Thanks, and if I see something that is not correct can I complain and have it removed?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Dec 19, 12:54 PM
    • 24,754 Posts
    • 27,616 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Dec 19, 12:54 PM
    • 10th Dec 19, 12:54 PM
    Yes. Raise a dispute with the CRA in question.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 10th Dec 19, 12:55 PM
    • 3,197 Posts
    • 2,644 Thanks
    phillw
    • 10th Dec 19, 12:55 PM
    • 10th Dec 19, 12:55 PM
    Originally posted by zx81
    Noddle has been creditkarma since May.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 10th Dec 19, 4:31 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 10th Dec 19, 4:31 PM
    • 10th Dec 19, 4:31 PM
    You could just continue with Talk Talk.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 10th Dec 19, 4:43 PM
    • 5,132 Posts
    • 8,606 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 10th Dec 19, 4:43 PM
    • 10th Dec 19, 4:43 PM
    "Apparently another account that failed"... What? A credit check?

There must be a reason and I find it difficult to believe you have no idea what that might be, OP but, if this is the case, your credit files should provide some insight, as already suggested. Credit files can be wrong; it is a good idea to correct them.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 10th Dec 19, 4:51 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 10th Dec 19, 4:51 PM
    • 10th Dec 19, 4:51 PM
    I doubt there is any real problem besides the fact that Three don't want to open a second account in the OP's name so soon after opening the first account as suggested by the OP.
    Chances are they will waste their time checking their credit files for this elusive 'something' that might be wrong and find nothing.
    OP. Have you failed to pay anything? Do you have any reason to believe that you have failed to conduct any credit account correctly? If no, then stop worrying and take your business elsewhere if 3 don't want your custom.
    • whitejohn
    • By whitejohn 10th Dec 19, 5:27 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    whitejohn
    • 10th Dec 19, 5:27 PM
    • 10th Dec 19, 5:27 PM
    You could just continue with Talk Talk.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Thanks
    I had already dumped TalkTalk as they have been so inefficient. Couldn't find a quick solution and was horrified I was going to be unable to setup an account with anyone else and would be without BB from tomorrow. Then I tried to log in to TT and was able renew the contract. Still working on the other.
    • whitejohn
    • By whitejohn 10th Dec 19, 5:37 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    whitejohn
    I doubt there is any real problem besides the fact that Three don't want to open a second account in the OP's name so soon after opening the first account as suggested by the OP.
    Chances are they will waste their time checking their credit files for this elusive 'something' that might be wrong and find nothing.
    OP. Have you failed to pay anything? Do you have any reason to believe that you have failed to conduct any credit account correctly? If no, then stop worrying and take your business elsewhere if 3 don't want your custom.
    Yes I can only think it's because the 3 phone and 3 broadband are two separate accounts for some strange reason. But they gave me a big discount on the BB as I was an existing phone customer!
    I've never had a credit problem in my life and was seriously worried I wouldn't be able to go anywhere else until the problem was corrected.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 10th Dec 19, 6:56 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    Ben8282
    My feeling is still that this is something specific to 3, probably due to your trying to open a second account so soon after opening the first, rather than due to any adverse information suddenly appearing on your credit files.
    Have you actually called them to ask about the problem? It may be something really silly (like two accounts for one address not being allowed or something equally unfathomable) and they might be able to add the broadband on to the existing account.
    You didn't need to renew the TalkTalk contract. The service would just have continued out of contract leaving you free to change providers without having to serve a whole new contract minimum term.
    • whitejohn
    • By whitejohn 10th Dec 19, 7:16 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    whitejohn
    My feeling is still that this is something specific to 3, probably due to your trying to open a second account so soon after opening the first, rather than due to any adverse information suddenly appearing on your credit files.
    Have you actually called them to ask about the problem? It may be something really silly (like two accounts for one address not being allowed or something equally unfathomable) and they might be able to add the broadband on to the existing account.
    You didn't need to renew the TalkTalk contract. The service would just have continued out of contract leaving you free to change providers without having to serve a whole new contract minimum term.
    I see what you mean, yes it's just their system and probably not a credit check failure. Pleased you said that about TT as they have given me lots of problems. They repeatedly agreed that the contract would not automatically renew so did nothing, then today they were saying I would have to pay another month as they needed 30 days notice to quit. Agree with you, when a contract ends it ends and that's it. Didn't want to back down and sign up for another 24 months but was worried no one give me broadband, not that I needed credit as I would have paid 3 up front if they had asked, to solve the problem.
    • whitejohn
    • By whitejohn 10th Dec 19, 7:18 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    whitejohn
    I see what you mean, yes it's just their system and probably not a credit check failure. Pleased you said that about TT as they have given me lots of problems. They repeatedly agreed that the contract would not automatically renew so did nothing, then today they were saying I would have to pay another month as they needed 30 days notice to quit. Agree with you, when a contract ends it ends and that's it. Didn't want to back down and sign up for another 24 months but was worried no one give me broadband, not that I needed credit as I would have paid 3 up front if they had asked, to solve the problem.
    Originally posted by whitejohn
    Yes I did say what can we do to solve the problem but they just said nothing we can do about credit problems.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 10th Dec 19, 8:53 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Yes I did say what can we do to solve the problem but they just said nothing we can do about credit problems.
    Originally posted by whitejohn
    They really sad that?
    Make a formal complaint about the defamatory remarks as you don't have credit problems and cancel contract ASAP.
    • The Fat Controller
    • By The Fat Controller 11th Dec 19, 8:36 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    The Fat Controller
    No utility contract just ends !

If you could be bothered to read the Terms and Conditions, a fixed-price applies for the agreed period then you move onto a rolling month-to-month agreement at the standard price and are required to give 30 days notice to cancel.

Once the fixed period is over, ordering a service from another company using similar infrastructure negates the need for notice, the gaining provider takes over on an agreed date.

Imagine the chaos if your electricity or gas was cut off at the end of a 12 month contract !
    • whitejohn
    • By whitejohn 11th Dec 19, 12:36 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    whitejohn
    No utility contract just ends !

If you could be bothered to read the Terms and Conditions, a fixed-price applies for the agreed period then you move onto a rolling month-to-month agreement at the standard price and are required to give 30 days notice to cancel.

Once the fixed period is over, ordering a service from another company using similar infrastructure negates the need for notice, the gaining provider takes over on an agreed date.

Imagine the chaos if your electricity or gas was cut off at the end of a 12 month contract !
    Originally posted by The Fat Controller
    Thanks, learnt something new there but I would have expected my gas and electric to go off if I ended my contract and didn't set up an alternative supplier, common sense
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,664Users online

Martin's Twitter