Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion

Comments

• I followed the link to "straight to the Freebies" - shallow I know! When I got there followed the link to complete the usage questionnaire - maybe not so shallow! Then proceeded to the link to get a Freebie and filled in my Postcode - only to get the message 'we don't recognise your post code' only then to end up back at the usage questionnaire.

Must be me - isn't it 🤔
  • By using rateable value and other guesstimates the water companies have been taking the mick for decades, the savings forumers report of hundreds apply to thousands of consumers. Isn't it about time for a campaign specifically to change Laws and stop this profiteering ? It is no longer enough to find individual savings when so many are being ripped off, especially through third party 'agency agreement' situations. :(
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    By using rateable value and other guesstimates the water companies have been taking the mick for decades, the savings forumers report of hundreds apply to thousands of consumers. Isn't it about time for a campaign specifically to change Laws and stop this profiteering ? It is no longer enough to find individual savings when so many are being ripped off, especially through third party 'agency agreement' situations. :(

Some people save by having Rateable Value charges.

Whilst not defending Water Companies who make massive profits, you need to understand how water companies are funded before making accusations of 'profiteering'.

As water companies have a monopoly for their area, their finances are strictly controlled by the Regulator(ofwat)

In simplistic terms every company is allowed to raise £xxxmillion in revenue and make £yymillion profit provided they meet certain targets(leaks etc).

Thus it doesn't matter to the water company how their revenue is raised they still can adjust other charges to raise the authorised amount. e.g. if, say, 10,000 customers got a meter and each saved £100pa(£1million) they would raise the £1million by raising other charges to compensate. A win/win situation.

There are many Government websites on water company regulation; starting with this:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmenvfru/1041/1041.pdf
  • Pooh_Bear
    Pooh_Bear Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Check all toilet cisterns and ensure that when they have filled:

1. The inlet shuts completely and doesn't slowly drip water into the cistern.

2. The outlet doesn't slowly drip water into the bowl, resulting in the cistern refilling repeatedly.

3. Modern syphon units usually allow you to adjust the cistern fill point. Can you reduce the volume of water used for a "full" cistern?

4. Don't forget, if you have one, the cold water tank in the roof.

Small drips may seem insignificant but at 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, they add up to a lot of water.

When we moved house 3 years ago, I thought our metered bills and useage was rather high - mainly because we had moved from a metered house and I knew how much water we normally used. I finally realised one of our cisters was refilling 4 or 5 times a day without having been flushed! Checked all our toilets/cisterns - replaced one syphone completely, cleaned the valves on the other two, reduced the fill volume on all 3.

Cut our water consumption by 25%!
  • I have lived in a new build house since 2012 with a water meter and paid under £20 a month direct debit with little variation. In November I got a bill from Severn Trent indicating my usage was 5 times Normal amount and my direct debit would be rising to £85 a month ! I queried this and they sent out a man to re read the water meter. It was as they said and he ran a series of checks for leaks. He discovered an overflow was trickling from the pressurised hot water cylinder but because it was not easily visible and just ran into the drainage system rather than anywhere obvious to see I had been blissfully unaware. I now have a nearly £500 bill just before Christmas and Severn Trent although initially indicating they may write this off as I hadn’t actually ‘used’ the water have now said because it was a leak from an ‘appliance’ I am responsible for the bill. I obviously had the problem fixed as soon as I knew about it and am now providing new meter readings 10 days apart so the water company can confirm my actual usage BUT is there anything I can do to get this big underpayment written off ? I’m only paying for it because I’m on a meter and it just doesn’t seem fair. I would never recommend anyone getting a meter voluntarily after this experience
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How much have you saved on a meter over RV ??
    I save circa £300 pa on a meter .

If i have to pay for your own fault it will cost me more .
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I’m only paying for it because I’m on a meter and it just doesn’t seem fair. I would never recommend anyone getting a meter voluntarily after this experience

I appreciate few of us do so, but a meter is there to be read by the company and occupant.

The 10 day readings are only asked for if they intend to make an adjustment. There are no hard and fast rules for a goodwill payment for leakage. If you make a fuss(nicely at first!) they may soften their stance; if not threaten to go to Ombudsman; albeit he will normally side with the company.
  • I’m not sure how it’s my fault as I had no idea that there was a leak until the Severn Trent guy came out. If I have a dripping tap or an overflowing toilet cistern I fix it straight away but I had no idea that the hot water tank had an overflow much less how to check it.I have never been asked to check the water meter in the 7 years I’ve lived at the property but I certainly will be checking and supplying monthly reads from now on. The point I am making is that Severn Trent waste millions of gallons a year through burst mains let alone small leaks they probably don’t even know about (much like me) but the first time it happens to me I have to pay out hundreds of pounds for nothing. Forgive me for feeling hard done by !
  • Don't forget:

if you are worried about burst pipes because your water company is forcing you onto a meter, you can always get the water totally disconnected and purchase a rainwater-harvesting system, for which you will have to inform Building Control. However the water company may make infrastructure charges for a disconnection.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you leave your immersion on continuously because you forgot to turn it off - who do you think should pay for the additional leccy that you've used.

The same with water really, Assuming that you regularly check your leccy & gas meters, why should it be any different for your water meter.

As Cardew says, some water companies will compensate you for lost water if you get it sorted out as soon as you notice there's a problem and get it fixed.

We had a leak several years ago, I discovered it because I read my meter every month and my consumption suddenly jumped. Anglian Water compensated me for around 35cu.m of water which is the amount we calculated that had be lost in the four weeks or so between reads.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure