PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019

Comments

• Make Do & Minimise: Food from freezer & stores

Minimise: More wool - 9th scarf knitted & started on no. 10 :)

Minimise: Christmas cards from stash

Mend: DH has just replaced the flush system in the upstairs toilet :T
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Make do - food from stores and freezer
    Minimise - Christmas card stash - need some more though and stamps :(
    Found a pack of cards & envelopes that were gifted to me but too 'twee' and some card blanks and evelopes in a pack to make your own that I'd hardly used so popped them in to my local hospice craft shop
    Mend - SNAP! Dh replaced flush system in downstairs loo!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Make Do & Minimise: Food from freezer & stores

Minimise: Wool - have now knitted 11 scarves for the homeless

Mend: nothing
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Mend: DH has just replaced the flush system in the upstairs toilet :T
    I just had to do down stairs loo as it sounded like a fog horn when flushed and then I had to replace the shower. Should have been a straight swap but not so easy. Put me in a bad mood but finally got it sorted and now after a week or so got a shower that is boiling hot rather than stone cold.

Oh and now the washing machine is leaking. Really annoyed as only 3 years old as well. Another job for me to tackle as my partner does not have a practical bone in his body!!!!love him to bits though.

Would have got a plumber in to do the toiler/shower but getting anyone to even come and look and quote is like finding rocking horse poo :rotfl:and would have still had a stone cold shower and fog horn flush.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Hi everyone
    Make do: using the rest of the food up in fridge before buying anymore fresh, I have plenty of tomatoes, cabbage and onions!!!
    Minimise: Been to take another couple of bags, an old tv and one odd chair to CS. (some of it was dds, but not all mine)
    Mend: still using scraps to make things but no proper mending at the moment.

calleyw: well done on the diy, I wouldn't know where to start!

Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Husband has been complaining about the cr*p on the landing, and I gladly informed him that it was all his :D He had planned a month ago to take some old winter gear to the immigrants camping in a park in Brussels, but hasn't yet.

The box of our own winter gear is also still out, because not all family members (read: husband) have picked out scarves and gloves for this winter yet.

There is also a very large flimsy box (very shallow with many cubby holes) with beads, taking up a lot of floorspace. I have to train dds to take their toys back down to their play area...... I try, but they resist......
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Well Sunday's dinner was Beef & Ale from the freezer with dumplings made freshly. I found a Lardy Cake that escaped the trade description so defrosted, sliced and buttered and became bread and butter pudding.
    Went to the club and there was onion soup on the menu which looked and smelled delish so bought some back for DH & I for yesterday & we'll finish up the Beef and Ale today. I've also sorted out some nice curtains that were surplus to requirements to pass on to a friend & DH has mended the base of my cleaner. He's not to confident it will fix it but it's given me good service so if it doesn't work I'll meet have to get a new one.
    Siebrie - I'm sure it gave you no pleasure to point out to DH that the cr*p was his lol.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Todays
    Make do: eating out of fridge still, that cabbage is sure big, going to make a cabbage style shep. pie tomorrow!!!
    Minimise: well nothing gone out of the house, but my purse hasn't been open so that will have to do.
    Mend: perhaps not mending, but made a couple of Xmas cards from stuff I had in, and sowed a couple of buttons on one lol!
    Nannyg
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    calleyw: well done on the diy, I wouldn't know where to start!
    Nannyg
    Nannyug,

Thanks but when you don't have have the money you just learn to do it. And Youtube is fab for things like that.

Just need to sort out the washing machine now!!! Will try a few things and then after that no idea what I will do. As a new one is not on the cards and the quote to move the washing machine so I can fit a free dish washer. Is £400 + plus vat so that wont be happening.

Everyone take care

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Hi everyone
    Been out most of the day, so
    Make do: made a potato and cheese pie out of what I had in.
    Minimise: Keep trying to buy things in less plastic but its very difficult, I wish the producers and manufacturers would take notice and cut down on the amount they use.
    Mend: Nothing to mend at the moment - yay!
    Nannyg
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport