Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 13th Jan 18, 7:55 AM
    • 2,763Posts
    • 28,724Thanks
    earthgirl
    Earthgirl's Final Battle
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:55 AM
    Earthgirl's Final Battle 13th Jan 18 at 7:55 AM
    Hello all,

My last diary was unceremoniously deleted by the powers that be, and although I have tried to get it back the nice people at MSE towers can't reinstate it (just doing their jobs). I think the title might have offended somebody

So as my last post was my goals for 2018 - where I laid out my plans for 2018 and hope to finally pay off this mortgage taken out in Nov 2013 - Its actually quite a good time to start a new diary.

This will be my final battle - I have 11, 687 to pay off. I am also saving for holidays and travel.

Thanks to the ed team for giving me access to a few posts - here is my last post:

We have saved 28,000 towards our mortgage in 2017. Providing we pay the endowmwnt payments 50/month each times 2 endowments for 1 year and 3 years respectively, and that the endowmets make the mid estimated pay out, we need to find 11, 687 to pay off the mortgage.

At one time I wanted to get that paid off in 2017, but I wouldn't swap the holiday for OHs 50th, which was our other big expense this year.

So goals for 2018

**Health**
    Whole family lead an active and healthy life (sleep, hyrdation, 5 a day, healthy food, acitve every day, less alchohol). I'm pretty well organised with this.

**Wealth**
    Save 1000 per month to pay off mortgage by 2019. This is the year!
    Make an extra 400 / month an allocate to holidays and travelling
    Subject to revision if OH has periods of no/low income.

**Life Well Lived**
    Lots of activities with family
    one to one time with kids and oh
    be present and mindful - less distractions when with family
    plan travel and holidays
    make more time for all of our hobbies - reading, gardening, languages, boys football.
    seeing friends and family a priority (cheaply, and for the kids too!)
    simplify life a bit more, and declutter life and home."

And for good measure here is my first post from my last diary:

My new diary is so named as the first morning we woke up in our new house after running out on our old life, we all ended up dancing around the living room playing air guitar to this tune. DH and I had a bit of a moment as reality set in!

We decided fairly quickly to move on from our old secure little life, with reasonably secure income and no mortgage, to take a chance on our dream house by the sea. With a bit of stress and 'homelessness' in the middle we now the owners of a lovely family home on the west coast of Scotland. We had savings of about 250,000 thanks to mse and this board in particular, we have spent about 20,000 on the move itself, and now have to pay off 147,500 for our new mortgage.

Only problem is we have little income as I gave up my job and dh is remodelling his business, but we have lots of positivity and determination!

I'd like to set a target of paying it all off in ten years. I'd like to pay off 10,000 in the next 12 months.

Off we go.... ![](http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/action-smiley-033.gif) ![](http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/action-smiley-033.gif)

old diary here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3978475"
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

Progress not Perfection
Page 54
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 4th Dec 19, 10:47 AM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 28,724 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Thanks Karma and Beanie.

The beeswax wraps I've seen are quite expensive which will be worth it for some people but I know my kids would lose them/forget and chuck them in the bin. I am currently chopping up bits of unrecyclable plastic (i.e. the packets the food comes in) into shapes suitable to wrap in - this is not a good idea I know but will do for this week - it would be going to landfill anyway
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

Progress not Perfection
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 4th Dec 19, 11:10 AM
    • 3,567 Posts
    • 23,033 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I'm loving all this info on reduce/reuse/recycle/repurpose.

My two pennyworth:

I use a rock salt deodorant from H0lland & B@rrett: I bought a travel size one in August 2018 and it's still going. So what seemed like an initially higher price has turned out to be just the opposite. The container is plastic but otherwise it's brilliant: completely unscented too.

My local eco shop is more expensive for a few things but I now save herb and spice jars and refill them there. As you no longer pay for the weight of the glass, the spices are generally around 30-50p a refill. Another favourite is refilling pump dispensers with things like hand soap and washing up liquid.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by 4,100.58/3000 in 2018
    Overpaid by 3,259.33/2,880.00 to 29/11/19
    Decluttered in 2019: 2,041/2,019 as of 21/10/19
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 4th Dec 19, 1:55 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 28,724 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Thanks Cherry fudge. I am going to try the diy deoderant, but Karma has reminded me about lots of bottles of perfume I could repurpose...

And I've decided I was wrong about the beeswax wraps. It's up to me to teach the kids why we are not using the plastic, and therefore they must bring them home.

The wrap will be worth more than the actual snack inside though!! I'll be having kittens!!

Progress not Perfection
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Dec 19, 1:57 PM
    • 32,918 Posts
    • 194,683 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I am currently chopping up bits of unrecyclable plastic (i.e. the packets the food comes in) into shapes suitable to wrap in - this is not a good idea I know but will do for this week - it would be going to landfill anyway
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    I think thats a fine idea - you're not buying it specially, you're giving a single use plastic a second use.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 4th Dec 19, 8:43 PM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 44,470 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I've been meaning to make my own food wraps using old duvet covers and soy wax (I don't want to use beeswax). There are loads of videos on YT about how to do it, but basically you need brown paper, the chosen wax, your fabric and an iron.

I love how you are bringing your family into a plastic-reduced way of life. I look after the Eco Committee in the primary school I teach in, and the children are amazing at educating their parents - some of them have refused to let their parents buy anything with palm oil in, and others have persuaded the family to use glass bottles from the milkman rather than plastic from the supermarket
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Dec 19, 9:26 PM
    • 68,467 Posts
    • 312,808 Thanks
    beanielou
    Why not beezwax Kittiekins?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 14 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 4th Dec 19, 11:08 PM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 44,470 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I believe honey and wax are for the bees, not us
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 7th Dec 19, 7:41 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 28,724 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Thanks for your tips! I'm still finding that I have plastic on things - even when I try to avoid, because we still need to eat and I haven't got it quite all sourced yet. So I am still reusing the packaging for other things.

Money saving /making
    I took ds2 to a free guitar lesson at a library about 20 mins away this morning. The teacher was ill, but he should get a place on the course in January.

2 free community events this afternoon

Sold a toy kitchen- 10 in so 10 of the 40 fund I need to make our next holiday carbon neutral.

Finished Christmas shopping and remembered to get cashback all within budget and I'm so glad its finished
    Environment

The milk in returnable glass bottles from the shop near my work is lovely but only full fat. I have got 4 pints and will get more next week. It is lovely and although it's thick, it will be ok until I can get semi skimmed which is what we are used to. It is 1.29 with 20p being returnable deposit for the glass bottle so I think this is pretty good.

I have found unwrapped bread in the bakers for 1/loaf and I can bring my own bag.

Cheese has been more of a problem to source locally.

The chocolate shop will sell me choc chips for 1/100g in my own container (and its lovely) so we can use them for muffins and cookies for the kids snacks.

So this is what my list looks like:

Supermarket but in the future hopefully the zero waste shop if not too expensive:

Loose fruit and veg
    eggs
    butter (bulk)
    sugar
    flour (bulk)
    pasta (bulk)
    rice (bulk)
    oats (bulk)
    wheat breakfast biscuits (bulk)

Local shops

milk
    bread
    cheese (butchers maybe?)
    bacon
    choc chips
    fish
    chicken
    veg not found loose in supermarket

So my new shopping routine will be:
    Bread - Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday maybe.
    Monday and Friday milk - days I am in office near milk.
    Friday supermarket shop for loose veg and fruit, eggs, bread if they do it unwrapped.
    Saturday 8am butchers and bakers

Once a month bulk shop.

Progress not Perfection
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 9th Dec 19, 7:06 AM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 28,724 Thanks
    earthgirl
    So now I have done a little bit of research and know what I a doing a bit more, it's time to find a bit more balance with the other things in my life.

I am starting my new 'much less waste' shopping today, and I am also going try to find time for more strenuous exercise and eating healthily. TI will also be mindful of stress at this time of the year, and keep on top of things for Christmas and at work.

This was all kind of in place so I just need to push the restart button with the stuff I know about less waste.

Progress not Perfection
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Dec 19, 12:01 PM
    • 32,918 Posts
    • 194,683 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's a really good point - make it so that its part of life, not something that you throw everything at 100% of the time.
    Go you
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Dec 19, 8:51 AM
    • 2,700 Posts
    • 14,771 Thanks
    themadvix
    That all sounds good Earthie - and looks similar to my shopping. Remember the supermarkets let you take your own containers to the counters now - and most are fairly well trained! So cheese and meat and deli stuff you might still be able to get from there (unless you're shopping elsewhere for small business reasons, which is entirely understandable).

And normal paper-wrapped chocolate bars chopped up work fine in baking, I find - just chop well otherwise it can get a bit gooey! (Although that's a positive in my book!)
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 14th Dec 19, 4:38 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 28,724 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Thanks karma and the madvix.

I thought normal choc wrappers couldn't be recycled? Yes I am wanting to support the local businesses but I'm struggling to get what I need so I think you are right - containers at the deli in the supermarket will help. My local baker and butcher are OK about bringing containers, but I sense they would prefer if I didn't which is a shame.

Progress not Perfection
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 14th Dec 19, 5:15 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 28,724 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Really busy week where we had a bnb guest that I didn't know so I was sleeping in the same room as the kids and never sleep as well. My 'good deed' for the week was 5 hours childcare for a friend in need, and I also had reports to write and my works night out last night. We survived though, but I felt I didn't see the kids much, except when they were asleep!

Money Saving / making

Good extra income this week, 100 from tutoring, 83 from bnb. 2 new tutoring customers next week, whilst 2 drop off over Christmas.

3 towards carbon neutral holiday fund - 13/40

Took wine to Xmas night out in party bag and drank it. I don't feel bad about this. It was 50 a head and 9 for a glass of wine and it was way over priced. 70 for a bottle of Champagne! Wore a dress I already had which was a 1 charity shop find. I drove there and left big boots, coat and hat in the car to walk home It was an expensive night out made reasonable and I loved it!!

A party ds1 went to today had football tickets in for a local team for next weekend, so that's another free activity for next week.

To improve next week I need to take care with my scheduling to fit everything in. I need to make sure all is wrapped up at work so I can relax over the holidays.

Environment
    Slowly improving! Wins this week have been only buying bread in my own bags, same with veg. Ham and pies from butcher in my own containers. Milk in returnable bottles - got the semi skimmed organised.

I've managed to book the electric car for quite a few days from this week on.

I'm going to be more organised with taking containers with me next week, madvix suggested taking them to supermarket deli counters which will work better for ham and cheese. Wonder about butter?

I am still trying to make sure I am getting things at a good price. Milk and bread is slightly more expensive but not too bad. I can't afford the biodegradable crisp packets, so we will cut back and when searching I have found ways of recycling them into really useful things like pencil cases - I'm sure the kids will enjoy making them!! https://craftbits.com/project/purse-recycled-potato-chip-bag/
    Last edited by earthgirl; 14-12-2019 at 5:19 PM.

Progress not Perfection
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Dec 19, 5:28 PM
    • 68,467 Posts
    • 312,808 Thanks
    beanielou
    I think the milk in bottles is very expensive sadly

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Dec 19, 7:31 PM
    • 32,918 Posts
    • 194,683 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Good extra income this week, 100 from tutoring, 83 from bnb. 2 new tutoring customers next week, whilst 2 drop off over Christmas.
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    Well done you!

Took wine to Xmas night out in party bag and drank it. I don't feel bad about this. It was 50 a head and 9 for a glass of wine and it was way over priced. 70 for a bottle of Champagne! Wore a dress I already had which was a 1 charity shop find. I drove there and left big boots, coat and hat in the car to walk home It was an expensive night out made reasonable and I loved it!!
    Thats seriously brilliant. Good grief, 9 for a glass of wine! Good for you for not falling into that.

I'm going to be more organised with taking containers with me next week, madvix suggested taking them to supermarket deli counters which will work better for ham and cheese. Wonder about butter?
    None of the shops round here are doing anything about it currently I'm wondering about sending emails, or even saying something at the customer service desk. Never mind about that - celebrating your wins with you!
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 15th Dec 19, 8:46 AM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 28,724 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Thanks Karma, I know when I look into things really, our little family reducing our carbon footprint is a drop in the ocean, but maybe the little ripples go out... I remember a poster topm who was very much into this an it was part of the reason it went on my list for this year. Maybe asking about using my own containers in the bakers/butchers etc. the person behind me might think I will do that... who knows.

Wow I have been googling repurposing junk and just wow! There are really talented people out there making things out of the unrecylable. I'm nowhere near as arty, but it would be good for the kids to do some of the projects.

Progress not Perfection
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 15th Dec 19, 10:49 AM
    • 2,700 Posts
    • 14,771 Thanks
    themadvix
    Sorry, I meant large bars of chocolate wrapped in paper and foil - most of the decent brands do this, as do the better supermarket ranges.

Great news on the electric car bookings! Where are you hiring it from, I missed that?

We still buy butter in unrecyclable wrappers. The zero waste shop in b’ham had it loose, but suspect they have a higher turnover in a city. And my zero waste shop is owned by vegans, so sadly don’t think they’ll be getting any. I think (and probably no use for you as a bit far north), that Waitrose do Salted essential butter in grease proof, but as I’d rather have organic, unsalted, it doesn’t help me much either!
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 22nd Dec 19, 4:13 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 28,724 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Thanks the madvix, all good things to know. Busy week, working so hard, plus 2 nativities, charity post delivering and toy sorting. Phew!

Money saving / making

A whole load of tutoring done this week and next week. Mostly it has gone ok with scheduling.

Some last minute snacks to buy for visitors, could definitely have done better here.
    I've planned out our meals over this holiday with very little to buy.
    Bought a breakdown policy - the one martin recommends.

Charity/ volunteering
    Massive amount of toys donated to the charity shop
    Hundreds of cards delivered to raise money for BBs.
    Next week DS1 is going for lunch at the old peoples home, he loves the company of that generation as he misses his grandpa.

Environment
    I set my target to get our non recyclable rubbish down to 1 bucket per week, but with a little bit of effort- it's better than that! I'm so happy that we have managed to get it down so much it's more like a bucket every 2 weeks, and I have a plan for those things that are left. I don't think I'll get it down to nothing but it's fun trying!! My challenge in 2020 is to maintain this but do it cheaper.

I also want to reduce the recyclable things too - takes energy to recycle and also it is sent abroad so lots of costs there. So I'll look at that in 2020.

The car hire is free through my work as I do a lot of miles and it's cheaper for them to let me hire from their fleet than it is to pay my milage, so I can just request electric only cars.

This week:
    I have a couple of busy days, 2 hours tutoring per day (only 1 hour on Christmas day which I was going to change but it actually suits).
    Hairdressers for the kids, and I have a gift to give as well as a normal tip.
    Christmas is all wrapped up so I just need to enjoy.
    Holiday for us on the 31st which is perfect timing, just as the kids are getting bored. The rest of the holiday I'm going to try to do free things to entertain everybody.
    Last edited by earthgirl; 23-12-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Progress not Perfection
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Dec 19, 9:03 PM
    • 68,467 Posts
    • 312,808 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a lovely time

***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 23rd Dec 19, 11:36 AM
    • 32,918 Posts
    • 194,683 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I worked one Christmas morning as a student, when I had a cleaning job at an old peoples' home (as they were called then) - never since! Anyway, have a lovely time, and make sure you enjoy yourself. I'm *very* impressed with one bucket of waste a fortnight, for a full family, by the way, and your plans to better that even more.
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

953Posts Today

7,289Users online

Martin's Twitter