Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 3rd Dec 19, 3:04 PM
    • 5,126Posts
    • 373,346Thanks
    sleepyjones
    What advents are you missing this year?
    • 3rd Dec 19, 3:04 PM
    What advents are you missing this year? 3rd Dec 19 at 3:04 PM
    Any, usually good, advents that we're missing this year so we can keep an eye out for them?

Notable ones for me are

BeoPlay
    Heart Radio
    Hexus
    Barbour
    Hermes
    Ryobi Tools
    T3

I'll mention Scottish Widows and Hunt the Haggis 'cause everyone's always bangin' on about them

The Debenhams Beauty club always seems to come up too (but I seem to remember that was a late starter last year).
    *Good Luck * Be Lucky * Stay Lucky*
Page 2
    • dontone
    • By dontone 4th Dec 19, 6:52 PM
    • 4,697 Posts
    • 15,777 Thanks
    dontone
    Likewise, tag three friends or tell us who you will be spending Christmas with or what's you favourite xx, I just cannot be bothered with these as I don't want all and sundry knowing my likes/dislikes and what I am doing for Christmas. It really has gone way over the top now.
    Originally posted by Enigmatic Me
    This really annoys me. Not everybody wants their FB page spammed by a page that they don't like or want to be bothered with (I've seen one where it says to win, yourself and whoever you tag MUST have liked the page.)
    I think it's unfair to those who don't want to tag and just want to enter normally.
    It gives the advantage to these who are very 'competition cliquey' and are always tagging each other.
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, 250 Reward Your thirst, 500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • tghe-retford
    • By tghe-retford 4th Dec 19, 7:18 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 4,604 Thanks
    tghe-retford
    There's a lot fewer web entry ones and many more social media ones this year - particularly so with Instagram, but it is not exclusive to advents but the advents do spell it out starkly compared to previous years. I am banned from Facebook and now refuse to use social media seeing how general discourse and censorship is going on those platforms. Sadly as with regular competitions, companies have now found out that social networks allow maximum exposure and sharing for little investment.

The only thing I can hope for is that the social networks clamp down on competition sharing and companies return to web entry. But I personally can't see it happen, the genie is out of the bottle.
    • serenity2012
    • By serenity2012 4th Dec 19, 9:34 PM
    • 1,973 Posts
    • 97,276 Thanks
    serenity2012
    The advents are really confusing on here this year and most are missing so am entering through a different site this year.
    August-September 2017: Lots of stuff
    • lastkiss
    • By lastkiss 5th Dec 19, 6:52 AM
    • 741 Posts
    • 23,505 Thanks
    lastkiss
    World Duty Free is the one I miss. The prizes were really expensive and luxurious. I haven't seen that for a couple of years now. Shame
    November Wins:- Funky Iron! 200 Bon Accord Voucher and visit to Santa's Grotto. Lily O'Brien's Desserts Collections. Tunisian Crochet book.
    December Wins:- Pet Munchies. Belkin Wireless Charging Pad. Merry Xmas!
    • AprilLady
    • By AprilLady 5th Dec 19, 9:15 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 5,338 Thanks
    AprilLady
    This really annoys me. Not everybody wants their FB page spammed by a page that they don't like or want to be bothered with (I've seen one where it says to win, yourself and whoever you tag MUST have liked the page.)
    I think it's unfair to those who don't want to tag and just want to enter normally.
    It gives the advantage to these who are very 'competition cliquey' and are always tagging each other.
    Be Lucky
    Originally posted by dontone
    There's a lot fewer web entry ones and many more social media ones this year - particularly so with Instagram, but it is not exclusive to advents but the advents do spell it out starkly compared to previous years. I am banned from Facebook and now refuse to use social media seeing how general discourse and censorship is going on those platforms. Sadly as with regular competitions, companies have now found out that social networks allow maximum exposure and sharing for little investment.

The only thing I can hope for is that the social networks clamp down on competition sharing and companies return to web entry. But I personally can't see it happen, the genie is out of the bottle.
    Originally posted by tghe-retford

I agree - I'm really disappointed that so many companies have moved over to social media for their comps. Some have ridiculous requirements too, like:
    - tag 5 friends, like our post, our page, 10 other company pages mentioned here, tell us your 5 top childhood memories, visit our website, post a picture of your neighbour's nephew's first pet, jump up and down 3 times and do a push up...
    All to win a mug...
    • bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 5th Dec 19, 10:13 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 41,515 Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    Which advents are missing and which site are you using please?
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 5th Dec 19, 10:52 PM
    • 41,901 Posts
    • 333,488 Thanks
    mjm3346
    I agree - I'm really disappointed that so many companies have moved over to social media for their comps. Some have ridiculous requirements too, like:
    - tag 5 friends, like our post, our page, 10 other company pages mentioned here, tell us your 5 top childhood memories, visit our website, post a picture of your neighbour's nephew's first pet, jump up and down 3 times and do a push up...
    All to win a mug...
    Originally posted by AprilLady
    There was one (I think it was one of those scammy pay to enter raffle sites) that required you to invite everybody on your friend list and post a screenshot to show you had done it.
    Internet goodness 27349
    • GPark
    • By GPark 5th Dec 19, 10:54 PM
    • 1,524 Posts
    • 19,630 Thanks
    GPark
    There seem to be lots missing this year, aside from the ones mentioned above, I haven't seen:

Hoseasons
    Christy
    Dunelm
    Oasis
    Uk Mums TV
    Tiny Pop
    Soap and Glory

I'm sure there are others too, when I have some spare time I will check against last years list.
    C2W........1002/1000.....Email......542/1000.......FB...........216/1000
    Gleam.......246/1000.....IG..............0/1000.......MD.........3449/1000
    RC...........218/1000......TW..........464/1000......Web.........3863/1000
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 6th Dec 19, 2:11 PM
    • 2,851 Posts
    • 53,891 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    There seem to be lots missing this year, aside from the ones mentioned above, I haven't seen:

Hoseasons
    Christy
    Dunelm
    Oasis
    Uk Mums TV
    Tiny Pop
    Soap and Glory

I'm sure there are others too, when I have some spare time I will check against last years list.
    Originally posted by GPark

Soap and Glory are one of many that have switched from Web/Online Form entry to Social Media, but at least they're doing one https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6077115&highlight=soap+glory
    • tashainafairytale
    • By tashainafairytale 11th Dec 19, 4:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tashainafairytale
    BlackCircles was a good one, as far as prizes but man, it was a pain with all the RT's, pretty sure I get a Twitter ban every year from that one.
    Originally posted by sleepyjones
    Looks like the Blackcircles giveaway will start on Friday. It's been announced over on their Facebook page! (I can't post the link as I've just recently joined so if someone else can that would be great!)

Think it is going to be on their social this year. Good luck everyone!
    • cagsd
    • By cagsd 11th Dec 19, 5:06 PM
    • 6,557 Posts
    • 179,440 Thanks
    cagsd
    Here's their Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/Blackcircles/

And here's the post about the advent starting on Friday:
    https://www.facebook.com/Blackcircles/videos/576545609824756/

• sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 11th Dec 19, 5:45 PM
    • 5,126 Posts
    • 373,346 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    Which advents are missing and which site are you using please?
    Originally posted by bubblebobble23
    My thought exactly, right after "If they're missing on here, why don't you add them?"
    *Good Luck * Be Lucky * Stay Lucky*
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,624Users online

Martin's Twitter