Vodafone appearing on credit report

I cancelled my phone contract with Vodafone in October 2016, yet it's still showing as an active account on my credit report with no outstanding balance. Will this cause an issue and if so how would I go about fixing it?

Comments

• If the balance is zero then no.

Are you sure it's still active and not closed?

Which CRA are you seeing this on?
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    !!! wrote: »
    If the balance is zero then no.

Are you sure it's still active and not closed?

Which CRA are you seeing this on?

It's on both Experian and Equifax. Yes it appears under open accounts with a £0 outstanding balance under the same tab as my current mobile provider, not under the closed accounts tab.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    epm-84 wrote: »
    I cancelled my phone contract with Vodafone in October 2016, yet it's still showing as an active account on my credit report with no outstanding balance. Will this cause an issue and if so how would I go about fixing it?

I would not want to have an active Vodafone account on my files any longer than it needed to be - just do a search of Vodafone on this forum to read the horror stories. How anyone still takes out contracts with them to this day I don't know.

You need to write to Vodafone and ask them to close your account and to confirm this in writing to you. One you’ve received the letter from them, allow 3 months and check all 3 of your files to see if the data has been updated.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Candyapple wrote: »
    How anyone still takes out contracts with them to this day I don't know.

All the big mobile operators have horror stories, while if you use one of the smaller ones that piggy back on another operator's network there's a chance they'll cease to operate in the foreseeable future or alternatively switch to using another operator's network e.g. start using O2 instead of EE, which might affect how good your coverage is.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    All the big mobile operators have horror stories, while if you use one of the smaller ones that piggy back on another operator's network there's a chance they'll cease to operate in the foreseeable future or alternatively switch to using another operator's network e.g. start using O2 instead of EE, which might affect how good your coverage is.

I'm not disputing that, however Vodafone seem to take the crown.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/search.php?searchid=175736221
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    I had this issue with my former Vodafone PAYM contract a couple of years ago.

Used the form found at the top of this forum sticky:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5393903

And they got back to me telling me there'd been some kind of issue (their end) and around six-eight weeks later it showed as closed with all three CRAs.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,073
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I had the same. The Vodafone rep (Lee) on here fixed it for me.

He has good form for resolving issues that seem impossible to clear any other way.

Look for a thread in the mobile phone forum.
  • Vodafone confirmed in writing to me that my account was closed. However, it still showed as open on my credit file reports. They'd left a balance on it of a few pence.
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Vodafone confirmed in writing to me that my account was closed. However, it still showed as open on my credit file reports. They'd left a balance on it of a few pence.

Hi epm-84 and KittenChops,

If you still need help with your respective accounts, please email me via the form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I'll check that it's been received.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Ryan806
    Ryan806 Posts: 2
    First Anniversary
    edited 14 February 2018 at 9:59AM
    Hello Lee I am having the same issue with a account which has been cancelled for several months but showing as open with £0 balance. I submitted a form also my ref is #18057888

Cheers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure