Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    CarpyQS
    Can I buy shares and get ISA tax benefits
    • 9th Jan 05, 12:52 PM
    Can I buy shares and get ISA tax benefits 9th Jan 05 at 12:52 PM
    I'm going to put 3k into a cash ISA, but i also fancy having a little flutter buying shares myself, nothing major and definetly under the 3k ISA stocks & bonds limit but can these be packaged as an ISA somehow for tax purposes? Would this mean paying fees to someone to do so? I was planning to just buy them myself before April but I desperatly want to avoid capital gains tax and fees where possible

any help much appreciated
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Jan 05, 2:52 PM
    • 98,579 Posts
    • 67,061 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 9th Jan 05, 2:52 PM
    Re: Can I buy shares and get ISA tax benefits
    • 9th Jan 05, 2:52 PM
    You can buy shares in a "shares self select ISA". There isnt a large range of these available but they do exist.

They are not as beneficial as they used to be since the tax credit changes but they are still useful for avoiding CGT and higher rate tax. The charges can make a small holding of shares uneconomical, although a couple of years of maxium MAXI contributions and the charges are much more favourable.

If you dont use CGT allowance already, not a higher rate tax payer and your holding of shares isnt going to be that high, you may be better off utilising your CGT allowance when necessary rather than have the self select ISA.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

31Posts Today

4,544Users online

Martin's Twitter