IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

EMA BP petrol station PCN scam

Options
Hi, my name is Terri and I'm trying to organise a campaign to put a stop to the unscrupulous practices being used by the private parking company VCS Ltd (Excel) in and around the BP petrol station forecourt at East Midlands Airport in Derbyshire.

I was caught there in November 2019 dropping off a friend whilst I was using the station to fill my car up with petrol and I subsequently received a £100 PCN through the post. I went online and was horrified to discover that there had been a whole line of others before me that were caught out under similar circumstances. After doing some online research (inc. extremely useful info on MSE/Pepipoo) I followed the appeals process and my first appeal to VCS was successful. I have no idea why but assume that it was because I worded my letter in a forthright, techno-jargon, legalese type of way that probably just scared them off. Despite my success, I went to the paper because it's about time somebody tried to do something about this.

The EMA petrol station saga has been running for the best part of 2019 and the stories in the local press are the tip of a HUGE iceberg. People are now coming to me for advice and some are extremely distressed. Some of the stories I'm hearing are unbelievable. It's all very well saying "Oh it's that notorious petrol station at the airport, what a shocker" but no-one is challenging it and people just continue to get victimised. It was only a matter of time before VCS ran into someone like me that can't abide injustice and the fact that normal law-abiding citizens are being thoroughly ripped off.

My next move is to write back to VCS to inform them that I am on their case, just so they are aware. I will then write to the IPC and hopefully enter into a conversation with them about it or I might just jump straight in with a formal complaint. I strongly suspect that VCS are breaking the terms of their IPC membership by not following the Code of Practice. I also want to take this to Watchdog as I know they did a piece on VCS a few years back but times have changed, laws have changed, and a fresh look at the problem is required.

Please can you offer me any advice as to how best to proceed. I know that you have been involved in other campaigns up and down the country and I must admit I could do with a little support and guidance from people that know how these things are done. I had another story in the local press a couple of days ago.

If you go to the Derby Telegraph website you can find my articles:
    "Livid mum wants to stop 'outrageous' EMA petrol station parking fines" dated 2 Jan 2020
    "How angry mum overturned big fine for stopping at EMA petrol station" dated 4 Jan 2020
(I couldn't include the actual links here as I'm a brand new user!)

Cheers, Terri

Comments

• twhitehousescat
    Options
    before you go on . they are NOT fines . they are invoices
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it is within the area of the BP fuel station then presumably they have hired the parking company to oversee parking. Protesting to the owners (BP) that you were a legitimate customer might get the penalty cancelled.
  • TerriAkers68
    Options
    Correct, they are speculative invoices based on contract law, but if you dispute the fact that you ever entered into a contract with them in the first place then there is an argument that the invoice is void. The word "fine" was used in the headlines of my stories in the local paper but I have never personally referred to them as such because I understand the difference. VCS are relying on people assuming they have been fined and paying up without question.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could try posting in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking sub forum. There are some very knowledgeable people there.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 January 2020 at 9:04PM
    Options
    Hi, my name is Terri and I'm trying to organise a campaign to put a stop to the unscrupulous practices being used by the private parking company VCS Ltd (Excel) in and around the BP petrol station forecourt at East Midlands Airport in Derbyshire.

I was caught there in November 2019 dropping off a friend whilst I was using the station to fill my car up with petrol and I subsequently received a £100 PCN through the post. I went online and was horrified to discover that there had been a whole line of others before me that were caught out under similar circumstances. After doing some online research (inc. extremely useful info on MSE/Pepipoo) I followed the appeals process and my first appeal to VCS was successful. I have no idea why but assume that it was because I worded my letter in a forthright, techno-jargon, legalese type of way that probably just scared them off. Despite my success, I went to the paper because it's about time somebody tried to do something about this.

The EMA petrol station saga has been running for the best part of 2019 and the stories in the local press are the tip of a HUGE iceberg. People are now coming to me for advice and some are extremely distressed. Some of the stories I'm hearing are unbelievable. It's all very well saying "Oh it's that notorious petrol station at the airport, what a shocker" but no-one is challenging it and people just continue to get victimised. It was only a matter of time before VCS ran into someone like me that can't abide injustice and the fact that normal law-abiding citizens are being thoroughly ripped off.

My next move is to write back to VCS to inform them that I am on their case, just so they are aware. I will then write to the IPC and hopefully enter into a conversation with them about it or I might just jump straight in with a formal complaint. I strongly suspect that VCS are breaking the terms of their IPC membership by not following the Code of Practice. I also want to take this to Watchdog as I know they did a piece on VCS a few years back but times have changed, laws have changed, and a fresh look at the problem is required.

Please can you offer me any advice as to how best to proceed. I know that you have been involved in other campaigns up and down the country and I must admit I could do with a little support and guidance from people that know how these things are done. I had another story in the local press a couple of days ago.

If you go to the Derby Telegraph website you can find my articles:
      "Livid mum wants to stop 'outrageous' EMA petrol station parking fines" dated 2 Jan 2020
      "How angry mum overturned big fine for stopping at EMA petrol station" dated 4 Jan 2020
    (I couldn't include the actual links here as I'm a brand new user!)

Cheers, Terri
    Please post again to keep your thread current, as it is now on the right forum.

Do the VCS vans really carry a misleading logo 'ROAD SAFETY UNIT'? Surely not?

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/livid-mum-wants-stop-outrageous-3688584

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/how-angry-mum-overturned-big-3701675

:T

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • a_very_naughty_boy
    Options
    before you go on . they are NOT fines . they are invoices

Interestingly the owners of the filling station, The Prax Group are reported in the press as referring to them as 'fines'
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi, my name is Terri and I'm trying to organise a campaign to put a stop to the unscrupulous practices being used by the private parking company VCS Ltd (Excel) in and around the BP petrol station forecourt at East Midlands Airport in [STRIKE]Derbyshire [/STRIKE]Leicestershire
    There are a few issues at play at EMA, as with most other airport sites, the airport is covered with by-laws. This means that as afar as the protection of freedoms act goes, its classed as not relevant land for keeper liability under the protection of freedoms act

This is something i posted a while back re by-laws at this site:

East midlands Airport Byelaws here:
    https://live-webadmin-media.s3.amazonaws.com/media/7234/east-midlands-airport-byelaws-2001-re-issued-september-2009.pdf

Taken from here: https://www.eastmidlandsairport.com/about-us/operational-documents/

Also of use is this wordy document, in particular page 91"Appendix 2 - EMA Boundary and Land Ownership" https://live-webadmin-media.s3.amazonaws.com/media/6998/aerodrome-manual-2019-v20.pdf

There are two areas at the airport that appear to be causing issues:
    the airport itself, with reports of people receiving tickets for things such as waiting at the barriers for them to raise, and the petrol station.
    the petrol station appears to be owned by the Prax group, and ( possibly) managed by HKS retail

My whole take on this situation is that while it may seem obvious to go for VCS, the real target should be the airport and/or the petrol station for allowing VCS to operate.

As principal they are liable for the actions of their agents ( VCS)

and if there is a GDPR issue/breach then there could be an issue of personal liability- not sure how realistic this would be, however the head of operations at EMA/the petrol station ( or whoever signed off on allowing the PPC to operate) having some personal liability in this could serve as a wake up call.

Then we have the issue of so called dropping off at the pumps, As a driver i am not ( directly) responsible for those adults i transport in my private vehicle, if I was to stop at the petrol station, which is close to the airport terminal, if i then go in to pay for the fuel and my passengers get out and walk, then i have no control over this.

Another issue which could be causing the recent influx of cases is that the airport stopped its shuttle bus service https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/east-midlands-airport-passengers-fury-17208505

And as if by co-incidence when VCS arrived at the airport, Leicestershire county council instigated a double red no stopping line on the A453, which runs adjacent to the airport, roughly from the road to Melbourne, and along the A453 as far as the Motorway roundabout ( Donington park services) and along the Road to Castle Donington as far as the hill top round about ( aero park /Castle Donington junction) https://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/news/first-red-route-to-be-introduced-in-leicestershire

Locally we have had issues with councillors/parish councillors/local busy bodys in places such as Diseworth, Kegworth, Castle Donington and Melbourne asking for parking restrictions in the respective local towns - where previously non existed - which in turn will have a knock on effect for people living in those places who rely on local car parking facilities, with the belief that people are using these places as park and rides.
    ( i have links to the areas mentioned above - while i am not in the area at the moment i do spend some time there)
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • a_very_naughty_boy
    Options
    Half_way wrote: »
    And as if by co-incidence when VCS arrived at the airport, Leicestershire county council instigated a double red no stopping line on the A453.....................

Do we know if the double yellow lines on the EMA access roads became double red lines before, at the same time or after the ones on the public highways ?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Do we know if the double yellow lines on the EMA access roads became double red lines before, at the same time or after the ones on the public highways ?

They have no legal relevance on private land (whatever colour). Is there a reason for asking?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • zhonguonuren
    Options
    Hi Terri

I would write to DVLA to say that your details were released by them to these parking scammers, that it is a breach of your right to privacy and you are considering a court claim under GDPR. If more people complain the DVLA will have to take action against the IPC (I have no experience of BPA).

Benjamin.Neate@dvla.gov.uk

Mr Neate was told only today that we, the public, are no longer prepared to accept this disgraceful practice.

Good luck
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure