PIP MR request - Activity 9 - Clarification over case law

Hi All,

I am preparing my MR request as I think I should have been awarded points under Activity 9, engaging with others face to face.

I have been looking at case law and was reading through CPIP/2685/2016 (SF v The Secretary of State [2016] UKUT 0543 (AAC)). There are some very knowledgeable people on the forum and I was wondering if anyone could confirm whether the judgment definitely stated that under this descriptor, the claimant can only be assessed in social situations and NOT professional ones? I have read through and did not interpret it this way but saw some articles saying so.

Many thanks.

Comments

• I would have thought that "engaging with others face to face" would have been in all situations, after all you either have a problem with this or you don't.
    That would be my take on it anyway.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The ruling includes the statement “Descriptor 9c is therefore concerned with the support required by claimants in social situations......there is no reason to suppose that descriptors 9b and 9c are concerned with a claimant’s ability to engage with other people in different factual contexts.”

However it goes on to say “...without wishing to express a concluded view on the issue in a case in which it has not been argued, I therefore consider that the whole of PIP Activity 9 is concerned with a claimant’s ability to engage with other people face to face in social situations.” (my emphasis)

Seems to me it could be argued that other contexts could be looked at but I am not sure what you mean by professional situations - do you mean when interacting with professionals, such as doctors, or do you mean when acting oneself in a professional capacity. If the latter I cannot see the relevance anyway as PIP is not concerned with work.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Demerara
    Demerara Posts: 210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    calcotti wrote: »
    The ruling includes the statement “Descriptor 9c is therefore concerned with the support required by claimants in social situations......there is no reason to suppose that descriptors 9b and 9c are concerned with a claimant’s ability to engage with other people in different factual contexts.”

However it goes on to say “...without wishing to express a concluded view on the issue in a case in which it has not been argued, I therefore consider that the whole of PIP Activity 9 is concerned with a claimant’s ability to engage with other people face to face in social situations.” (my emphasis)

Seems to me it could be argued that other contexts could be looked at but I am not sure what you mean by professional situations - do you mean when interacting with professionals, such as doctors, or do you mean when acting oneself in a professional capacity. If the latter I cannot see the relevance anyway as PIP is not concerned with work.

Thanks Calcotti, the DM stated in the award letter that they have decided I can engage with others because I do so on a daily basis - I work!!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    Demerara wrote: »
    Thanks Calcotti, the DM stated in the award letter that they have decided I can engage with others because I do so on a daily basis - I work!!
    People do claim PIP and work but sometimes the work you do can go against you, if there's a contradiction.

This activity considers a claimant’s ability to engage with other people, which means to interact face-to-face in a contextually and socially appropriate manner, understand body language and establish relationships.

An inability to engage face-to-face must be due to the impact of impairment and not simply a matter of preference by the claimant.

Social support means support from another person trained or experienced in assisting people to engage in social situations, or someone directly experienced in supporting the claimant themselves (for example a family member or carer), who can compensate for limited ability to understand and respond to body language, other social cues and assist social integration.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2019 at 10:08PM
    Demerara wrote: »

Although the descriptor is about social situations I think it is reasonable to draw inferences from other situations about capability in a social situation - provided they are comparable. I think you would need to explain how you you have difficulty in social situations and how this difficulty is overcome or not present in a work context. For example if you sit at a computer all day with almost no interaction with others this clearly isn’t very informative about how you would be in a social setting. If however your work involved talking to people to people all day it would be hard to argue that you have difficulty in a social setting.

Have you seen the assessment report that the DM has used to ‘inform’ their decision?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Demerara
    calcotti wrote: »
    Although the descriptor is about social situations I think it is reasonable to draw inferences from other situations about capability in a social situation - provided they are comparable. I think you would need to explain how you you have difficulty in social situations and how this difficulty is overcome or not present in a work context. For example if you sit at a computer all day with almost no interaction with others this clearly isn’t very informative about how you would be in a social setting. If however your work involved talking to people to people all day it would be hard to argue that you have difficulty in a social setting.

Have you seen the assessment report that the DM has used to ‘inform’ their decision?

Yes, I have seen the Assessor's report and I feel there are contradictions as the HP did not award me any points but there are a couple of sentences which, by themselves, show that I have difficulties "engaging socially", as per Schedule 1 to the Social Security (PIP) regulations 2013 - that is, (a)interact with others in a contextually and socially appropriate manner; (b)understand body language; and (c) establish relationships.
  • poppy12345
    What is your job?
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 July 2019 at 10:40PM
    I would certainly view social interactions in a work / formal context as within the scope of the descriptor.

What the descriptor doesn't include as a "social situation" is interactions with close family members in a (say) domestic setting.

Often a tribunal will ask a claimant about GP and other professional appointments, interactions in shops, etc. As venison states the descriptor is about engagement with others face to face.

What work do you do?
    What difficulty with engaging face to face do you have (in addition to the points scored on the communication activity)?
    What work adaptations have been made to help you to better engage face to face at work (per calcotti)?
    How many days a week do you work?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Demerara
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    I would certainly view social interactions in a work / formal context as within the scope of the descriptor.

What the descriptor doesn't include as a "social situation" is interactions with close family members in a (say) domestic setting.

Often a tribunal will ask a claimant about GP and other professional appointments, interactions in shops, etc. As venison states the descriptor is about engagement with others face to face.

What work do you do?
    What difficulty with engaging face to face do you have (in addition to the points scored on the communication activity)?
    What work adaptations have been made to help you to better engage face to face at work (per calcotti)?

What would you make of this then?
    SF v The Secretary of State [2016] UKUT 0543 (AAC) (CPIP/2685/2016):
    That construction of Activity 9 explains why ‘engage socially’ is defined in Schedule 1, and without wishing to express a concluded view on the issue in a case in which it has not been argued, I therefore consider that the whole of PIP Activity 9 is concerned with a claimant’s ability to engage with other people face to face in social situations. It would follow that in all cases in which Activity 9 is in issue decision makers should apply the definition of ‘engage socially’ in Schedule 1 and should consider a claimant’s ability to interact with others in a contextually and socially appropriate manner, the claimant’s ability to understand body language, and the claimant’s ability to establish relationships in a social context.' (paragraph 6)

Also, DV v SSWP (PIP) [2017] UKUT 0244 (AAC) (CPIP/3707/2016) - judge said that tribunal erred in considering that claimant could engage socially based on their presentation at tribunal and that this was an error. I think there was also something about someone being on ESA and being on the workgroup and the judge said they couldn't make a decision based on his interactions within the workgroup requirements?

I am anxious (though not recorded in medical records) in social situations, if I have people I feel "safe" with, I can do ok-ish but there is a fear that I am seen like an idiot because of my communication difficulties.

I have special equipment and the line of work I do (don't feel comfortable posting here) requires colleagues to be inclusive/supportive plus there are a few other reasonable adjustments made.
  • poppy12345
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    What work do you do?
    How many days a week do you work?
    You need to answer these questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family