How to obtain credit reports

Options

Comments

• Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2009 at 7:06PM
    Options
    Mr_Tes wrote: »
    I received my Experian report a week after, but i'm still waiting on my Equifax report. Just wondering if Equifax are always this slow? The customer service number i've treid ringing to enquire never seems to get answered. Does anyone have a reliable number for Equifax Customer Service?
    AFAIK, you can't avoid the perishing 0870 0100583 number with Equifax and it's always busy.

We cannot be absolutely certain which credit card providers search a particular agency's files (lenders do not disclose this information), but it's known that most use Experian, so that one matters more ;)
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • Mr_Tes
    Mr_Tes Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Moggles wrote: »
    AFAIK, you can't avoid the perishing 0870 0100583 number with Equifax and it's always busy.

We cannot be absolutely certain which credit card providers search a particular agency's files (lenders do not disclose this information), but it's known that most use Experian, so that one matters more ;)

Cheers. I guess I have no other option bit to hang on for it to arrive. I'm hoping its's probably just stuck in the whole postal strike chaos.
  • Empty_pockets
    Options
    It's on another thread but I'll post it here as well.

Contact Equifax on 0800 7839421.

That's business services but they'll happily transfer you.

Rick.
  • Empty_pockets
    Options
    This is a link to the form to get a statutory £2 report from Call Credit.

http://www.callcredit.co.uk/files/creditfile-app.pdf
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My wife made a successful application for a Thomas Cook credit card, but Equifax have notified me that there has been a credit check on me from this Company. Is this normal procedure?
  • Moggles_2
    Options
    hansi wrote: »
    My wife made a successful application for a Thomas Cook credit card, but Equifax have notified me that there has been a credit check on me from this Company. Is this normal procedure?
    If you share a financial product (eg. joint bank account, mortgage) with someone else, then you are financially linked to them and their affairs could result in a search of your files, but simply being married or sharing a home with someone else would not trigger a credit check.
  • Jim28
    Jim28 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

I previously got a free trial period with Experian to get a credit card report. This was some years ago. Now when I try to sign up for the free trial period it says I am a member already and need to resubscribe.

Is it impossible to get another free trial after your original one?

Anyone else experience this?

Many thanks.

Jim
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a free trial some years ago, I still get the reports, but I don't pay anything:j
  • Moggles_2
    Options
    Jim28 wrote: »
    I previously got a free trial period with Experian to get a credit card report. This was some years ago. Now when I try to sign up for the free trial period, it says I am a member already and need to resubscribe. Is it impossible to get another free trial after your original one?
    No, you're not eligible for a second free trial, but the three credit reference agencies have a statutory obligation to provide you with your credit file. This will cost you all of £2. (For details, see page 1 of this sticky)

Btw, once you have your paper copy, the CRAs seem happy to answer questions over the phone if you quote your reference number. So if, for instance, you wanted to check that particular items had since been updated, there's no need to order further copies of your credit reports ;)
  • Jim28
    Jim28 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Moggles very helpful :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business