Hare Fares

Greater Anglia are running a scheme called Hare Fares. The idea is that you travel to London and return same day for a discounted ticket. I plan a 3 day trip to London which normally will cost me and my daughter over £100 but if I buy two return tickets, one for the day I plan to travel to London and a return ticket for the day I travel back it will cost me about £40. Is there anything stopping me doing this? I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I suppose that unlike ferry and Eurostar people they have no very good way of checking provided your tickets are valid on the day of travel. If you caught the 6a.m. on your return they might query how you had already done the outward journey!
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just to be absolutely sure, I think I'd ask here:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/forums/fares-advice-policy.105/
    Stompa
  • Kiko4564
    Kiko4564 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You're not obliged to do the return, or outward journey at all on a return ticket, you can use just one of the portions of the ticket. However if you use both portions, then you must use them in the right order. Otherwise your ticket won't be valid when you use the outward portion. You can ask on railforums, or wait for yorkie2 to respond. The choice is yours.
  • Kiko4564 wrote: »
    You're not obliged to do the return, or outward journey at all on a return ticket, you can use just one of the portions of the ticket. However if you use both portions, then you must use them in the right order. Otherwise your ticket won't be valid when you use the outward portion. You can ask on railforums, or wait for yorkie2 to respond. The choice is yours.
    Many thanks for your response, I posted on the Rail Forum and they said it was fine so all booked. Thanks everyone.:j
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Many thanks for your response, I posted on the Rail Forum and they said it was fine so all booked.
    Of course, if you were genuinely concerned, the best people to ask would have been Greater Anglia. As it is, all you have is the assurance of some random punter on the internet.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 February 2020 at 12:39PM
    Chino wrote: »
    Of course, if you were genuinely concerned, the best people to ask would have been Greater Anglia. As it is, all you have is the assurance of some random punter on the internet.
    I'm reliably informed Greater Anglia's pricing manager is an avid reader of that forum!

I think you'll find the advice there is more likely to be accurate than the advice given by the average customer services department of almost any train company!

I agree with the following post:
    Chino wrote: »
    Perhaps try asking this on the Fares Advice & Policy board of RailUK Forums. There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure